5UGA9 Trap Adapter from Graingers

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

SQWIB
Novice

5UGA9 Trap Adapter from Graingers

Post by SQWIB »

I see a lot of folks using the 5UGA9 Trap Adapter from Graingers, I'm a bit curious because it states the following,

Compliance and Restrictions

This product is not intended for potable water applications (human consumption – drinking and cooking) and has not been designed to be compliant with the “Safe Drinking Water Act” requirements for low lead in potable water applications. This item is for use only in non-potable (non-human consumption) water applications.

This item is restricted for conveying or dispensing water for potable use (human consumption).

I would think this is not safe.
wv_cooker
Trainee

Re: 5UGA9 Trap Adapter from Graingers

Post by wv_cooker »

I have used those at one time from a different company. I would assume the warning is do to lead content. However the warning was not there when I first used it 2 years ago. I just checked pex supply and it too now has the same warning attached to this product. Mine is long since gone to a house fire but for anyone else who has used them it may be a good idea to check them out with a lead test.
SQWIB
Novice

Post by SQWIB »

That Stinks, I wanted to make a sight glass but not sure what to use now
dirtymax731
Swill Maker

Post by dirtymax731 »

It's from the brass. I have two inch one's on my column and the actual fitting is copper. Then I wrap the glass in teflon to make a seal. None of the brass hits the vapor.
Sent while napping in a cherry orchard
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Use a copper trap adapter instead of a brass one. Lowes carries 1 1/2" ones. Look around on line and you can find larger ones. The nut is brass but that is OK since it is on the outside. I did contact Pex Supply and they sent someone in the warehouse to check, the trap adapters they have are all brass.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
wv_cooker
Trainee

Post by wv_cooker »

Then this whole page of their website must be false advertising right.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Copper-DWV-Fittings-1268000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

edited to say: 2 years ago when I made a site glass from one of these their website made no mention of a warning. Several of us used them at that time.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

wv_cooker wrote:Then this whole page of their website must be false advertising right.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Copper-DWV-Fittings-1268000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

edited to say: 2 years ago when I made a site glass from one of these their website made no mention of a warning. Several of us used them at that time.
Well yes WV, below is what they sent me..... It looks like false advertising and a failure to correct the website.

PexSupply.com Logo
Customer Service My Account Track Order
Questions? Call 1-888-757-4774

Contact Us

First Name:
Don

Last Name:

Subject:
Technical Support

In looking at the picture of part # WDSJ-24 1 1/2" Copper Sweat Trap Adapter by Cello, it looks like it is brass in the picture. Is it copper or brass? Also part # WDFSJ-24 1 1/2" Copper Fitting Trap Adapter by Cello, it looks like copper with a brass retaining nut, it this correct? I do see in one of the reviews that the person claims the part is brass not copper. If it is not copper, I need not order it.

Hi Don,

After looking at the parts in our warehouse, both of these parts are brass, not copper.

Our Data Team will update the site.

I apologize for the inconvenience!

Have a great day!

Hannah
Using Google Search

SQWIB
Novice

Post by SQWIB »

Hound Dog wrote:Use a copper trap adapter instead of a brass one. Lowes carries 1 1/2" ones. Look around on line and you can find larger ones. The nut is brass but that is OK since it is on the outside. I did contact Pex Supply and they sent someone in the warehouse to check, the trap adapters they have are all brass.

The one from Graingers is copper.
I ordered the one from Pex Supply it arrived yesterday and its copper also, with a brass nut. SKU# WDFSJ-24
SQWIB
Novice

Post by SQWIB »

wv_cooker wrote:Then this whole page of their website must be false advertising right.

Further researching had folks saying they used lead as a slip agent when making these and they can be pickled??? No proof to back any of this up though.
SQWIB
Novice

Post by SQWIB »

Hound Dog wrote:

Well yes WV, below is what they sent me..... It looks like false advertising and a failure to correct the website.

PexSupply.com Logo
Customer Service My Account Track Order
Questions? Call 1-888-757-4774

Contact Us

First Name:
Don

Last Name:

Subject:
Technical Support

In looking at the picture of part # WDSJ-24 1 1/2" Copper Sweat Trap Adapter by Cello, it looks like it is brass in the picture. Is it copper or brass? Also part # WDFSJ-24 1 1/2" Copper Fitting Trap Adapter by Cello, it looks like copper with a brass retaining nut, it this correct? I do see in one of the reviews that the person claims the part is brass not copper. If it is not copper, I need not order it.

Hi Don,

After looking at the parts in our warehouse, both of these parts are brass, not copper.

Our Data Team will update the site.

I apologize for the inconvenience!

Have a great day!

Hannah

I ordered the one from Pex Supply/Supply House.com it arrived yesterday and it is indeed copper, with a brass nut. SKU# WDFSJ-24
SQWIB
Novice

Post by SQWIB »

The fitting also has a plastic sleeve for the slip but I replaced it with teflon, I sandwiched the Borsalicate Glass between two of the ground down teflon gaskets, I'll post some pics when I get a chance.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

SQWIB wrote:
Hound Dog wrote:Use a copper trap adapter instead of a brass one. Lowes carries 1 1/2" ones. Look around on line and you can find larger ones. The nut is brass but that is OK since it is on the outside. I did contact Pex Supply and they sent someone in the warehouse to check, the trap adapters they have are all brass.

I ordered the one from Pex Supply it arrived yesterday and its copper also, with a brass nut. SKU# WDFSJ-24
I am glad to see they changed up since I checked. They have decent pricing. :thumbup:
Using Google Search

Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Hound Dog wrote:
SQWIB wrote:

I am glad to see they changed up since I checked. They have decent pricing. :thumbup:
For my trap adapter gaskets, I just wrapped Teflon tape around the edges (its wider than the glass so it laps down onto the face a bit) a few times and it sealed up nice.
Using Google Search

BigSwede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BigSwede »

The Grainger job looks good to me, and if the PEX supply one is copper where it contacts ethanol, it should also be good to go.

Remember, Lawyers drive the bus in the USA these days. Some corporate lawyer probably looks these over and says "better disclaim for lead, otherwise, we'll get sued for ten billion dollars in a few years. Better safe than sorry."

If your vapor contacts only copper or PTFE, run it. If there's brass, be careful.
frodo
Distiller
Location: hiding behind a pine tree. bout 100 miles east of new orleans

Post by frodo »

he reason, that a dwv [drain waste an vent ] copper fitting says do ot use for potable water
has nothing to to with lead content.
a water copper fitting, the cuff of the fitting is deaper, so it can with stand the pressure in the line

as opposed to a dwv fitting. that is not under presure.

do you see the difference ? in the debth of the cuff ?
iDrinkWash
Novice

Post by iDrinkWash »

I made a sight glass from a glass guitar slide, two o-rings, two reducers, two washers, and three stainless bolt/nut combos. Attached here for reference. It's on my homebrewing stand and has had boiling wort flowing through it for years. No leaks or any other issues.

iDrinkWash
Attachments
4215_83491517942_6333882_n.jpg
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

iDrinkWash wrote:I made a sight glass from a glass guitar slide, two o-rings, two reducers, two washers, and three stainless bolt/nut combos. Attached here for reference. It's on my homebrewing stand and has had boiling wort flowing through it for years. No leaks or any other issues.

iDrinkWash
that looks cool as hell, nice build, you mind if i ask what your o rings are made of ?

teflon ?
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

I dont care what your o rings are but would like to see the entire set up if you would be so kind!
Ga Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

ga flatwoods wrote:I dont care what your o rings are but would like to see the entire set up if you would be so kind!
Ga Flatwoods
+1 :thumbup:
Using Google Search

frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

ga flatwoods wrote:I dont care what your o rings are but would like to see the entire set up if you would be so kind!
Ga Flatwoods
241213.gif
241213.gif (2.17 KiB) Viewed 3953 times
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I'll be curious to know what those O-Rings are made of, as well as what that entire rig looks like...!!! That offset sight glass has me curious...
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

He said it has had boiling wort running through it.

Maybe a beer brewing rig...?

I like the concept. Maybe make up some ptfe gaskets.
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

I like whats I see
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

http://www.theoringstore.com/index.php?main_page=page_2

I just found this, their is an o ring size chart.
i have no idea on pricing, i
iDrinkWash
Novice

Post by iDrinkWash »

Yes, that's my rig for beer.
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

iDrinkWash wrote:
Yes, that's my rig for beer.
God damn it man.

Have you ever considered adopting a balding foul-mouthed middle-aged dude as your son? Asking for a friend.
iDrinkWash
Novice

Post by iDrinkWash »

While I'm in the bragging mood ... :) This is the panel that I built for my buddy.

still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Catchy screen name there..."IDrinkWash". I guess I should've made mine, "IDistillBeer"...as I'm a long time all-grain beer brewer but a (relatively) new distiller.

I'm envious of your eHERMS. I have a system in work, but not yet completed...too many other distracting projects going currently. Ironically, my single level system looks very much like yours; frame, pumps, piping and all. I just wish my control panel looked like yours...magnificant. I think those guys at "the Electric Brewery" have a good thing going...control panel kits.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
iDrinkWash
Novice

Post by iDrinkWash »

still_stirrin wrote:Catchy screen name there..."IDrinkWash". I guess I should've made mine, "IDistillBeer"...as I'm a long time all-grain beer brewer but a (relatively) new distiller.

I'm envious of your eHERMS. I have a system in work, but not yet completed...too many other distracting projects going currently. Ironically, my single level system looks very much like yours; frame, pumps, piping and all. I just wish my control panel looked like yours...magnificant. I think those guys at "the Electric Brewery" have a good thing going...control panel kits.
ss
Yeah, I'm that way with the still build. Lots of plans and some of the major pieces done, but still haven't run it yet. Not a huge fan of vodka, but I do love me some gin. I think we are gonna focus on gin and whiskey. My design is a two piece modified Boca, so I can just use the head for doing whiskey / tequila/ etc. Probably use a blichmann plate chiller for the "worm".

I'd be interested to hear about your wash production. Seems like the old timers don't do a sparge or boil - but we plan to. We are basically going to make the highest gravity, unhopped clean beer we can. Seems like we can have a bigger hearts cut that way...

I know it's not traditional - and might be overkill, but I can't unlearn 20 yrs of clean beer production - including ferm temp control and proper yeast care.

I didn't show you my panel. It's crappy... but it makes award winning beer, with propane. The eHERMS is my buddy's and means that we can make beer all year long. Summers get hot.

Let's compare notes.
bronctoad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronctoad »

WOW! DUDE, JUST WOW! that's a awesome panel build. Does your buddy realize that that could be worth 2 or 3 years of free brew? :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin: