Hammer mill project/grain grinder

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Stainless dude
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hammer mill project/grain grinder

Post by Stainless dude »

Hi guys, I started doing ag's a while back and was using a corona mill for grinding corn and wheat. Even with hooked up to a 1/2 drill motor was noisy and didn't do that great a job IMHO. Saw some guys on another site finding older grain grinders that looked great but couldn't find anything here for reasonable cost. Saw a couple of vids on you tube that got me thinking. Had a 1 1/2 hp electric motor out of a dust collector that would work and starting building. It is a real simple design and ended up working really well. Hopefully this might help someone else..
Attachments
The housing that will attatch to the motor
The housing that will attatch to the motor
Getting ready to form a screen that will determine the size of the grind
Getting ready to form a screen that will determine the size of the grind
photo (14).JPG
Four blades that are staggered on the shaft, and are only a few thousands of an inch from the feed ramp
Four blades that are staggered on the shaft, and are only a few thousands of an inch from the feed ramp
Bushman
Admin

Re: Hammer mill project/grain grinder

Post by Bushman »

Keep the documentation of the build coming, I can see with a few adjustments this would also work for a fruit scratter.
Stainless dude
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stainless dude »

Some more pics..
After running several pounds through I saw a
mod was needed, the grain didn't flow down the feed chute very well. I should have made it steeper, but instead of messing with that I moved the hopper over to the right. Works great now. You can see the change in the vid.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KnlZFa ... wner-smbtn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Attachments
photo (16).JPG
Basically what I get out of the mill is mostly flour with some bits a 1/16 of an inch or so
Basically what I get out of the mill is mostly flour with some bits a 1/16 of an inch or so
photo (18).JPG
Showing how close the blades are to the feed ramp
Showing how close the blades are to the feed ramp
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

I use an old hammermill to grind my grains. Thing chews through 50 lbs of corn in a couple minutes.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

I like it!

Have you ever seen a LEE Electric Grinder? It is very similar in design, kinda...

Your video and the plexi cover show a lot. They show an almost laminar flow of the grain following the blade.

The Lee design has paddles on the blade that throw the grain and dust the the outside against a rough surface, a granite stone. The stone really doesn't do much other than hold the grain from following the paddles.

As I look at the flow of the grain caused by your blades I wonder if it would benefit from a rough outer shell that disrupted the smooth flow.

But it's beautiful.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
Stainless dude
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stainless dude »

Thanks Rock.
DAD300 wrote:I like it!

Have you ever seen a LEE Electric Grinder? It is very similar in design, kinda...

Your video and the plexi cover show a lot. They show an almost laminar flow of the grain following the blade.

The Lee design has paddles on the blade that throw the grain and dust the the outside against a rough surface, a granite stone. The stone really doesn't do much other than hold the grain from following the paddles.

As I look at the flow of the grain caused by your blades I wonder if it would benefit from a rough outer shell that disrupted the smooth flow.

But it's beautiful.
I have not seen that grinder Dad but what you are suggesting makes good sense, and I might make that change. Was actually thinking about welding a piece of flat stock that would be mounted vertically and coming very close to the blades. Something else for the grain to smash into...
Stainless dude
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stainless dude »

Bushman wrote:Keep the documentation of the build coming, I can see with a few adjustments this would also work for a fruit scratter.
Am happy to provide any info I have Bushman. The holes through the screen are 3/16 and I figured they would have to be much smaller to get mostly flour. I started with 1/8 holes but increased the hole size to try and get faster production. Presently in does a bit better than a pound a minute..
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Stainless, if you have the figures can you give us a rough estimate of the cost to make?
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

Another thing I like about yours is the direct drive. What's the RPM?
LEE FLOUR MILL 1.jpg
LEE FLOUR MILL 1.jpg (10.39 KiB) Viewed 6092 times
LEE FLOUR MILL.jpg
This is the best image I could find of the interior. The spinning "blade" isn't sharp at all it just throws the grain to the outside.

Grain drops in through the front top hopper. Then the meal/flour drops through an adjustable slot in the rear.

It will crack 20lbs an hour, but the small hopper and collection bag require constant attention.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
DSP-AR-20005
Stainless dude
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stainless dude »

Bushman wrote:Stainless, if you have the figures can you give us a rough estimate of the cost to make?
I had the motor but I looked up the price of new and it was about $200 bucks, I supose I have another fifty or so in materials Bushman.
DAD300 wrote:Another thing I like about yours is the direct drive. What's the RPM?
LEE FLOUR MILL 1.jpg
LEE FLOUR MILL.jpg
This is the best image I could find of the interior. The spinning "blade" isn't sharp at all it just throws the grain to the outside.

Grain drops in through the front top hopper. Then the meal/flour drops through an adjustable slot in the rear.

It will crack 20lbs an hour, but the small hopper and collection bag require constant attention.
That looks like a really nice grinder Dad, haven't seen one like that in my searches. The motor that I am using is 3600 or 3650 rpm...
warp1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by warp1 »

Damn....love it. Certainly on my list of things to do this winter. Have tons of hammer mills at work and never thought of this.....was too stuck on the idea of a roller mill style setup and couldn't figure out how to make those pieces. Pretty certain I can do this for near zero cost...all out of the scrap dumpster (other than the motor). Can even use hammer mill screens for the holes :)
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

How would you control the size of the grind - motor speed?
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

You do nice work stainless!
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

rockchucker22 wrote:
S-Cackalacky wrote:How would you control the size of the grind - motor speed?
I may be wrong but I think it all depends on the holes in the plate where the grain drops out.
+1 Smaller holes hold the grain in longer for more smashing...finer mill.
DSP-AR-20005
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

So, the blades aren't sharp either? They just beat the hell out of the grain until it's small enough to drop through?
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

S-Cackalacky wrote:So, the blades aren't sharp either? They just beat the hell out of the grain until it's small enough to drop through?
Exactly...
DSP-AR-20005
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Good stuff stainless :thumbup:
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
Stainless dude
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stainless dude »

Thanks Halfbaked and Googe.
Yes Warp1, the thing that completely amazes me is how simple this is and how well it seems to work. Build on up and let her rip... :thumbup:
Stainless dude
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stainless dude »

jedneck wrote:I use an old hammermill to grind my grains. Thing chews through 50 lbs of corn in a couple minutes.
You got a pic of your mill Jed?
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Sorry it took so long to get a pic of my hammer mill. Just ground 50# of malted corn in 10 minutes and that included changing the screen. I use a 3/16 hole in the screen and grind to flour(strip with steam on the grain). Powered buy a 2 horse motor.
Attachments
14336056113520.jpg
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

As usual...great job stainless dude... :thumbup:
I saw a similar design (maybe you saw it on Youtube too?)..there were chains attached to the rigid blades, used for smashing rocks into fine powder.
Your construction should have no problems to deliver large amounts of cracked corn in no time.. :!:
bronctoad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronctoad »

Hi SD :wave: . I'm trying to scale down a version of your hammer mill for a one horse motor. :econfused: I have a couple q's if I may? :econfused:
1) why do you only have 2 blades/hammers in what looks like 2" of depth on the unit? I was thinking 4 crossed 5/16" bars in a 1 1/2" box depth. would more, also shorter bars(5 1/4"), be better or worse?
2) in your photo you show how close the bars are to the feed ramp, but your screen isn't in and I really cant determine how far the screen should be from the bar swing arc in the video. the screen material I have sourced is only .062 thick 1/8" perforated screen, I'm worried if it will be strong enough to take a impact if it needs to be close. so I guess the q is what is the distance the screen need to be?
Thank you and any others that might have some insight to this :thumbup: .

bronctoad
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

.0625 is 1/16" not 1/8" which would be .125"

I don't know anything about a hammer mill but being an outside machinist I'd go with 1/8" just in case there Is a mechanical malfunction. (Saftey)

I hate when a piece of steel comes flying off with no protection, I was looking at some of the pics others have posted and the links. I think I have a plan now for when I do (eventually) build one if I don't just purchase one depending on prices.

I'm at the hbs now to get some grains for another HBB, I'll take a look at what they have and compare to a build.

The mill they use is fast and furious and chewed through 20 lbs of wheat like nothing, I'm talking less than 3 minutes. It's driven with a dewalt drill and was impressive.
bronctoad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronctoad »

ShineOn :wave:
what I meant with (.062 thick 1/8" perforated screen) is the holes are 1/8" spaced on a 1/4" grid the screen is 1/16" thick,
I wouldn't waste your time building one of these, mine is real slow only doing 2 1/2lbs per min. It was a super fun build when I didn't have any other irons in the fire, but reading TBs and SRDs thread even going through a corona mill 3 times is faster than my hammermill once :oops: oh well
I've got a malt mill that I use for grains, powered with an old B&D drill, that chews through 20# in .2 but for corn it is a :evil: "PITA" :evil:. I'm in the "process"(read, its on the waiting till I'm caught up shelf :crazy: ) of setting up a old corona with a drill motor.
Good luck which ever direction you go :thumbup:
bronctoad

edit. I didn't check to see this isn't my thread mine is on "beating cabin fever builds" sorry :oops:
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

One day I will try fermenting with grain.
My son-in-law grows cereals, often wheat, sometimes oats or barley, on a big farm so no worries about some free grain; I will have to ask if he has a hammer-mill or a grain crusher or grister....
Geoff
The Baker
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

The Baker wrote:One day I will try fermenting with grain.
My son-in-law grows cereals, often wheat, sometimes oats or barley, on a big farm so no worries about some free grain; I will have to ask if he has a hammer-mill or a grain crusher or grister....
Geoff
Must be nice. With free grain, your investment in a hammer mill or another type of grinder would be the least of your worries.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

We had a hammer mill here on the farm 36"x8 or 10" screens that a minimum of 40hp to flat belt drive . We had screens to make cracked grains down to flour depending on the mesh . Wish we still had it .
Jed and I discussed this last night . He has a small hammer mill .
He told me to tighten that Corona one more time so I had no grain chunks in the ferment to strain .
Ferment it dry , settle the ferment . Rack the clear off the top for the boiler charge and dump the slurry in the thumper and run it .
Gonna try that .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .