S.S. Borosilicate Sight Glass

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Rain Distillate
Swill Maker

S.S. Borosilicate Sight Glass

Post by Rain Distillate »

I just bought a 3" s.s. Borosilicate Sight glass. The kit came with the sight glass, 2 tri clamps and 2 silicone gaskets (which I replaced with ptfe gaskets. However looking inside the sight glass there seems to be a silicone type seal between the glass and the s.s. ends.
The eBay seller says it's safe for distillers but I'm skeptical.
Anyone else deal with this?
Rain
Screenshot_2016-10-12-00-59-45-1.png
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: S.S. Borosilicate Sight Glass

Post by Swedish Pride »

take it apart and wrap the seal with PTFE tape if you are skeptical, I know some folks have there but not sure what they do with the internal seal
Don't be a dick
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Swedish Pride wrote:take it apart and wrap the seal with PTFE tape if you are skeptical, I know some folks have there but not sure what they do with the internal seal
And please report us, if you had success. I remember, we had this issue here a few times.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

The PTFE tape worked for me.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I looked into those a year ago as my 4" column is not modular and I thought about adding one of those between the boiler and the column and modifying it and making a gin basket out of it. Still in the back of my mind!
NineInchNails

Post by NineInchNails »

I would just roll with it as is. If it really bothers you for some reason, wrap the gaskets with PTFE tape and call it a day.

If you're really determined to replace the silicone, have a look at this page. See what parts are used?

Now look at this page. I assume that you would want to search for a 'flat gasket' in PTFE instead of silicone. Have a look at your gaskets for comparison.

Just remember, PTFE gaskets are quite hard, similar to a nylon cutting board. Silicone gaskets are my favorite because they seal very easily, even seals imperfect joints because it compresses/conforms. PTFE will gaskets will leak when jointing 2 pieces that have minor imperfections. That's why I originally recommended wrapping your silicone gaskets with PTFE tape.
Rain Distillate
Swill Maker

Its not a normal gasket like the ones between the ferrules. I'm not sure wrapping with ptfe is possible. I will have to disassemble it and see what my options are. Its from affordable distilling on ebay. Like I previously stated the seller swears the internal gaskets can handle high abv likker vapor without leaching but as for the rules we live by....I believe I'd be breaking them by using this as is.
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Snackson »

rain distillate wrote:Its not a normal gasket like the ones between the ferrules. I'm not sure wrapping with ptfe is possible. I will have to disassemble it and see what my options are. Its from affordable distilling on ebay. Like I previously stated the seller swears the internal gaskets can handle high abv likker vapor without leaching but as for the rules we live by....I believe I'd be breaking them by using this as is.
It's absolutely possible. I did it 4 times. Just be sure to clearly mark which bolt goes to which hole so both flanges line up when you go to reassemble, as all flanges are not manufactured exactly alike. Couple wraps of PTFE around it and reassemble taking care to measure equal distance on all sides so it's not cock eyed at all.
Rain Distillate
Swill Maker

shadylane wrote:The PTFE tape worked for me.

Did you have any sealing issues or tips for reassembling/wrapping besides putting everything back the way it came apart.
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=59382

Here are my two adventures with my 2" sight glass back in the day... I did enjoy watching that thing and it really gave me insight into when tails was coming over.
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Rain Distillate
Swill Maker

rgreen2002 wrote:http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=59382

Here are my two adventures with my 2" sight glass back in the day... I did enjoy watching that thing and it really gave me insight into when tails was coming over.
So you don't use it anymore? Did you end up replacing the gasket as suggested by the other user? If so could you send me a link of where you purchased it from? What changed in the sight glass that told you tails were coming over?
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

rain distillate wrote:
rgreen2002 wrote:http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=59382

So you don't use it anymore? Did you end up replacing the gasket as suggested by the other user? If so could you send me a link of where you purchased it from? What changed in the sight glass that told you tails were coming over?

Sorry...that was supposed to be 2 separate links... bad copy/paste on my part.

Check here: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 0#p7382510 It tells more about my trials. Read the whole thread and watch the video as the info in there will be very useful for you going forward.

The short version: I don't use it because I upgraded to a 4" flute...with several of its own sight glasses :lol: ... ( http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=61788 )
I did not replace the gasket. I wrapped the gasket in PTFE and then wrapped the ends of the glass in PTFE as well. It worked fine with no leaks or complaints!

As far as tails go... watch my videos (there are many others out there as well) but when the glass gets foggy...you're into tails...usually WELL into them. This helped me get the feel, smell and taste of tails so I can better recognize them without the glass....at least until I went all grain.... then it was back to being a pain in the ass.
HD Glossary - Open this
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

rain distillate wrote:
shadylane wrote:The PTFE tape worked for me.

Did you have any sealing issues or tips for reassembling/wrapping besides putting everything back the way it came apart.
I forgot to think about putting everything back the way it came apart.
Professionally made parts are a lot more consistent than the parts I smash out with a hammer :roll:
There was no sealing issues at all, when wrapping a silicon gasket with PTFE
Rain Distillate
Swill Maker

I spoke with the eBay seller and I guess they sell ptfe gaskets for the inside you just have to request them. They sent them to me the next day free of charge. A+ customer service. Will post results on installing and using new gaskets with this particular sight glass.
Rain
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

rain distillate wrote:I spoke with the eBay seller and I guess they sell ptfe gaskets for the inside you just have to request them. They sent them to me the next day free of charge. A+ customer service. Will post results on installing and using new gaskets with this particular sight glass.
Rain
That's awesome! Which eBay dealer? I did the same thing. My guy, as hospitable as he was, didn't have ptfe!
HD Glossary - Open this
Rain Distillate
Swill Maker

rgreen2002 wrote:
rain distillate wrote:I spoke with the eBay seller and I guess they sell ptfe gaskets for the inside you just have to request them. They sent them to me the next day free of charge. A+ customer service. Will post results on installing and using new gaskets with this particular sight glass.
Rain
That's awesome! Which eBay dealer? I did the same thing. My guy, as hospitable as he was, didn't have ptfe!

Ebay seller- affordable-distilling. Just make sure to let him know what you want ahead of time if it's not listed.
Rain Distillate
Swill Maker

FYI

okay update on the sight glass gasket. somehow I knew the gentleman I was speaking to at ebay had no idea what I was talking about. after much confusion and him sending the wrong gaskets, he understood what I meant.

The gasket between the glass itself and the stainless tube its housed inside, has a silicone like gasket material and as far as the seller knows can not be changed. He did say he would ask his supplier if its possible to switch to ptfe but haven't heard back from him on it yet.

Rain
Rain Distillate
Swill Maker

Just messaged the seller again asking him for an update and telling him we shouldn't have to pay 110$ USD and then have to disassemble the damn thing to MacGyver it.

Well see what he says.
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Good Luck RD...
Like I mentioned I tried the same thing with no luck. I get the feeling that its all one basic company over there makeing products...
HD Glossary - Open this
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I use a copper ring wrapped in PTFE I used to use everlasting gaskets but don't like how the cardboard seems to get wet and soft. There is also a soft PTFE seal that Bearriver used that was great but kind of expensive.
Rain Distillate
Swill Maker

cranky wrote:I use a copper ring wrapped in PTFE I used to use everlasting gaskets but don't like how the cardboard seems to get wet and soft. There is also a soft PTFE seal that Bearriver used that was great but kind of expensive.
ill definitely have to look into it
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

cranky wrote:I use a copper ring wrapped in PTFE I used to use everlasting gaskets but don't like how the cardboard seems to get wet and soft. There is also a soft PTFE seal that Bearriver used that was great but kind of expensive.
You mention that the cardboard gets wet and soft when wrapped with PTFE tape. Wouldn't that indicate that this is not an impermiable seal? I have often wondered how wrapping a silicone gasket in plumbers tape makes it somehow viable to the "rule" that believes silicone, even platinum cured silicone, is bad for you. This is not a slant towards your post Cranky, just a question to all in general.

The soft PTFE seal thar Bearriverposted was valve stem packing. It comes in a variety of sizes. I got some 1/8" round that wasn't too bad off of Amazon. It seems like this would work good between the glass and sinless frame. It's not like something you would ever take apart once together.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
Rain Distillate
Swill Maker

Finally tried this on my copper rings to connect my 2" tri fitting to my keg and wow what difference
thanks!!
Rain Distillate
Swill Maker

sight glass is leaking after taking it apart. no matter how tight i tighten it, the glass cylinder moves slightly inside. any tips to preventing this? noticed it leaking on the last run.
Rain
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Wrap another. Few turns off teflon tape around the gaskets to fatten them up again
Sounds like they are compressed .
My everlasting gaskets do this too . Its normal for me that every so often I hav to do this if I pull it my still apart
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Yummyrum wrote:Wrap another. Few turns off teflon tape around the gaskets to fatten them up again
Sounds like they are compressed .
My everlasting gaskets do this too . Its normal for me that every so often I hav to do this if I pull it my still apart
+1
I have to rewrap the ones that get taken apart fairly frequently. on my glass stuff I actually use the wide PTFE tape and wrap the top and bottom edges of the glass as well.
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

If you look closely here: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 0#p7382510 I actually wrapped the ends of the glass with PTFE tape as well...
HD Glossary - Open this
Rain Distillate
Swill Maker

I wasn't tightening the very top nuts and very bottom nuts first (these crush the gaskets, the inside nuts hold the outside nuts from moving due to contraction and expansion... This was the root of my problem. Running now and fingers crossed she don't start leaking half way through.... All went good on water vinegar run I did earlier though, so high hopes!
Rain Distillate
Swill Maker

Halfway through she started pissing out. Tightened it down and got a miniscule leak. Finished the run and wrapped glass with ptfe as suggested. Also rewrapped gaskets with 3 wraps of tape. Gave it some squish again as suggested. Just refilled the keg with another 8 gallons of corn/barley mash and all the tails and heads from previous run. Just put the heat to her.it's gonna be a late night tonight.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

I would just get rid of that sight glass - do you really need it??

OVZ