Alternative seal for Boka column joint seals

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

seaguy
Swill Maker

Alternative seal for Boka column joint seals

Post by seaguy »

I have always used flour paste to seal the joint where my condenser fits onto the column (2" cu ). This tried and true method always works for me. What gives me fits is getting it back apart after a run. Cleaning up the basement the other day I noticed an old bicycle tube and the old lightbulb clicked on. Why not use a cut off section of innertube for that seal. After all, that far up the column all your really sealing is the tiny trickles that can get out and run down the outside. The real hassle comes when trying to get that flour glue seal to pull back apart after a run. I have sometimes had to hammer on a wood block around the edges to get that joint to start moving.I should say here that my condenser slips onto the column with a soldered sleeve. I was wondering if any of you have already tried the innertube rubberband seal? It Doesn't seem to me that it could add enough bad flavor to notice. Any thoughts?
Last edited by seaguy on Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
2" x 5' Boka, 3/8" coil on 3/4" cold finger, SS 15gal 240v 5.5kw sand element, Tincup's NE555 controller.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Alternative seal for Boka column joint seals

Post by still_stirrin »

seaguy wrote:....Any thoughts?
Not advisable. Rubber is "against the rules". No exceptions given either.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Tri clamps with offensive seal... or make everlast
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

I use the platinum silicone gaskets with my tri clamps... I know .. so wrap em with teflon tape... if you must ...

but i usually just throw the teflon tape away...

happy stillin,

FS

I think Larry at StillDragon has teflon gaskets as well... look in the 2" sight glass repair area for another type
seaguy
Swill Maker

Post by seaguy »

I am not talking about clamp gaskets. I use a sankee (sp?) clamp with teflon gasket on the bottom end. A sleeve is the trade name for a coupling that solders on ,threads on or is secured with set screws (EMT conduit). I have a 2" copper coupling on the bottom of my 2" copper condenser. The condenser's coupling slips down onto the top end of the boiler's 2" copper column. If rubber is not supposed to by used at all then I guess my take off needle valve is " illegal". It has a rubber packing gland shaft seal. Just to be clear, there is no EMT or steel pipe of any kind used on my Bokakob still. :crazy:
Last edited by seaguy on Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
2" x 5' Boka, 3/8" coil on 3/4" cold finger, SS 15gal 240v 5.5kw sand element, Tincup's NE555 controller.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Replace the rubber seal in your needle valve with PTFE tape spun into cordage and pack it in before reassembling... That's what I do... Never had a leak...

As for the flour paste, I use a damp to saturated rag, held onto the joints for a few seconds, to soften the paste again and then the parts slide apart without much fussing... I always try twisting them apart if at all possible...
seaguy
Swill Maker

Post by seaguy »

Thanks Rad, excellent idea on the needle valve