Thumper question???

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

sttifyd35
Novice

Thumper question???

Post by sttifyd35 »

I have a small 2 gallon pot still that has the main boiler and condenser. It does not have a thump keg. Is there a way to make one for it?
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Thumper question???

Post by skow69 »

Let me refer you to this thread: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =16&t=6084 Lots of good info there.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

2 gallon stainless stockpot with metal lid.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
sttifyd35
Novice

Post by sttifyd35 »

OLizeeTM 2 Gallon Stainless Steel Water Alcohol Distiller Copper Tube Moonshine Still Spirits Home Brew Kit Distiller 8L Wine Making Essential Oil Boiler Easy Operation https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZH4S9BQ/re ... Kyb5Q10348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Looks identical to this one.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Gosh, I'm not sure that little POS still is worthy of a thumper.

But if you have to have one, you could make one out of another 2 gallon stock pot, just like JbT suggested. Get some 1/2"ID (minimum) copper and make the down tube with holes at the bottom. See the Potstill/Thumper forum for build ideas like skow suggested.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
sttifyd35
Novice

Post by sttifyd35 »

I understand that its only a little pot still, but it does the same thing bigger ones do. Just takes longer. So little POS is not how i would describe it, but thats besides the point. Anyways, the reason why i have questions on thumper designs would be possibly to clarify and add more flavor at the same time. I mean i have collapsable steam basket as well. It doesnt have legs like a sputnik, but possibly could be suspended in the still?
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

Why not just use the 2 gallon pot for your thumper and buy another 5 gallon pot to use as your main boiler? Your probably going to find that small boiler to be awfully hard to make proper "cuts" with, especially if you are fairly new to distilling. Making good cuts is always the hardest part of doing a run. A larger pot will be easier to work with, and it probably would also help to not be as much of a time-waster like the little one. Just my 2 cents.
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
sttifyd35
Novice

Post by sttifyd35 »

Ive gotten pretty good at making fairly decent cuts. I usually have a couple 6 gallon buckets full of wash. So when im doing strip runs, im collecting everything first. So essentially i will end up with 1 to 2 gallons of likker. I do like your idea of a 5 gallon boiler though. I will definitely consider that. Thank you
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

The larger boiler you can use will make stilling and cuts easier . I know of 2 people posting here that have mastered a small still . Bigbob is one of them and has a thread on the subject .
Your stilling world would change greatly if you moved up to a 5 gallon stock pot boiler and a 5 gallon stockpot thumper . That will give you the impetus to start thinking about a couple of kegs >15.5 gallon .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .