looking for parrot plans

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

blm
Novice

looking for parrot plans

Post by blm »

I am wanting to build a copper parrot and would appreciate any plans and parts list.
rad14701
retired

Re: looking for parrot plans

Post by rad14701 »

blm wrote:I am wanting to build a copper parrot and would appreciate any plans and parts list.
Just look at any of the many member builds and decide how you want your to be... None were built from plans... There are just a few criteria that need to be adhered to for obvious reasons...

* The main tube needs to be large enough in diameter for your alcoholmeter to move up and down freely without binding...

* The main tube needs to be long enough to allow full travel of your alcoholmeter and have a tuft of scrubber in the bottom to cushion against bottoming out...

* The product inlet needs to be higher than the main tube and the feed tube needs to enter the very bottom of the main tube...

Pretty simple, overall... The rest can be figured out by looking at pictures... You don't need blueprints... I banged one out using spare parts in under a half hour, and probably closer to 15 minutes, once I had all of my raw materials gathered...

There is a topic here in the forums where members show off their parrots beaks... Seek and Ye shall find...
blm
Novice

Post by blm »

Thank you
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Rad's right . Adhere to the dimension parameters and the rest is up to you . I got artistic . Split 2" pipe and flattened it . Hole sawed the cup blanks and then hammered them to form . Lot of YouTube videos on copper hammering and spinning .
Mine isn't pretty but it works . Function over form every time .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
TxBrewing
Swill Maker

Post by TxBrewing »

I am not going to make a parrot but it am gone diy some scrap 3/4 copper tube into a test jar for my meter
CirBeer
Novice

Post by CirBeer »

Don't make the mistake I made and oversize it, the advice I got from the forums after posting my build was it was to big and that it would induce smearing (something I did not know about). As has been said there is no "perfect plan" and really the dimensions are key but there are some guidelines that will greatly help you out. *Hint* -Don't use unions and junctions with large copper piping like I did-
Novice Distiller, Intermediate Brewer, Expert Drinker!
MidniteOne51
Novice

Post by MidniteOne51 »

I didnt use any plans.. i looked at some photos and fired up the torch...

1" main tube
1" cap for the bottom of the main tube
3" cap on the bottom with the center dremeled out to hold the 1"cap upright/straight
1" to 1.5" reducer for the top
2" cap for the distillate catcher
5 foot section of soft 3/8" tubing for the bendy parts..

Of course, no project is complete without some choice words to get it all together just right..

Voila!

Most of my parts were salvaged from other projects in the scrap bin, and a few from the local big box hardware store.

Im sure it can be done for a lot cheaper than i did mine, if you dont already have some of the materials. Improvise with what ya got! I need to add some weight inside the base 3" cap to give it more vertical stability, but as long i pay attention, it doesnt tip over on its own.

*edit: Also, for liquid volume, with the alchometer in it, it only holds about 100mls or so...

-MidniteOne51
Attachments
Parrot
Parrot
CirBeer
Novice

Post by CirBeer »

MidniteOne51 wrote:I didnt use any plans.. i looked at some photos and fired up the torch...

1" main tube
1" cap for the bottom of the main tube
3" cap on the bottom with the center dremeled out to hold the 1"cap upright/straight
1" to 1.5" reducer for the top
2" cap for the distillate catcher
5 foot section of soft 3/8" tubing for the bendy parts..

Of course, no project is complete without some choice words to get it all together just right..

Voila!

Most of my parts were salvaged from other projects in the scrap bin, and a few from the local big box hardware store.

Im sure it can be done for a lot cheaper than i did mine, if you dont already have some of the materials. Improvise with what ya got! I need to add some weight inside the base 3" cap to give it more vertical stability, but as long i pay attention, it doesnt tip over on its own.

*edit: Also, for liquid volume, with the alchometer in it, it only holds about 100mls or so...

-MidniteOne51
Lovely build Midnite, love the shape on it. Here was my first attempt which I got some good feedback on how to make a much better one just through my build. Mu use of oversized dimensions and unions/junctions are a bad idea, but I just used what I had and looked at pictures :)
Attachments
Parrotpic.jpg
MidniteOne51
Novice

Post by MidniteOne51 »

CirBeer - it was that very photo from one of the other threads that inspired me to build mine!
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

I built mine so it holds the least amount of alchol possible. And i only use it when trying to determine main cuts. Works for me.
I thought i was wrong once,
But then i found out i was mistaken.

Kill the women, and rape the men.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Lyonsie wrote:I built mine so it holds the least amount of alchol possible. And i only use it when trying to determine main cuts. Works for me.
A parrot is fun and useful , but not for making cuts . Smell , taste , and feel determine cuts .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

Iv mostly ran the same thing for months now, and keep records. It will tell me. But your right it will eventually be redundant altogether. Little steps :D
I thought i was wrong once,
But then i found out i was mistaken.

Kill the women, and rape the men.
CirBeer
Novice

Post by CirBeer »

MidniteOne51 wrote:CirBeer - it was that very photo from one of the other threads that inspired me to build mine!
I'm glad my build helped you with yours, I'm now looking at yours to help with my next one. Team work is a wonderful thing :D