Copper/Brass Sanitary End Caps??

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Evil Wizard
Site Donor
Site Donor

Copper/Brass Sanitary End Caps??

Post by Evil Wizard »

So EZ flanges have made my life easier - those are the brass or copper ferrules for sanitary tri-clamp fittings.

What about EZ end caps in brass or copper? Have you ever seen them?

Tips on fabricating some? With a drill-lathe maybe?

I want to build some complex boiler pass-throughs without hiring a welder. With the right flux I might try soldering stainless to copper but I'd also like to avoid drilling stainless.
Work is the curse of the drinking class. "Would you like some water?" "No thanks, I'm Irish."

Louchebag Absintheur, Apostolic Alcoholic, Whisky Icarus, Bathtub Alchemist.

Started 2005, went Pro 2017. Federal Excise 51-SL-262.
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Re: Copper/Brass Sanitary End Caps??

Post by corene1 »

Don't be using brass in your still , it will leach lead into your spirit. Some here have pickled it with some success but I would stick to stainless and copper. It looks as though you have acces to a lathe by your post . you can find the angles and dimensions of the ferrules on the internet search and there are a few places that make stainless end blanks for the triclamp set up. Actually drilling stainless is not as bad if you slow the drill down and use plenty of cutting fluid.
Evil Wizard
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil Wizard »

Well, By drill-lathe I meant turning a sheet in a hand drill mounted in a vise. Not the most professional setup and not precise. I doubt I could cut that groove for the gasket.

I have a large sheet of 20gauge copper, do you think that would be thick enough?

I'd love to hear if anyone has ever seen copper test caps.

(I'm familiar with the brass-lead concerns. I have 9 posts but 10 years building.)
Work is the curse of the drinking class. "Would you like some water?" "No thanks, I'm Irish."

StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Evil Wizard wrote:I'd love to hear if anyone has ever seen copper test caps.
The ones that I have seen were made from a piece of copper bar.. if you search the web, or call shops that deal in metal fabrications.. you might be able locate something..

Just a thought

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Evil Wizard
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil Wizard »

Thanks Mars, I never thought of using bar!

This is for a 3" fitting and my favorite shop that resells end cuts quoted me $260CDN/foot of 3' bar. gulp.

Maybe I could solder 2 sheets of 20g copper together and then turn it in the drill to file it round. Teflon tape the hell out of the edges so the gasket ridge has something to compress into.

FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

Evil Wizard wrote:I'd love to hear if anyone has ever seen copper test caps.
There are these in many sizes but I'm not sure if this is what you are inquiring about. I use one on my VM.

https://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/r ... 177947.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Blah, blah, blah,........
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

are you talking about test caps, sanitary caps, or both ?

sanitary caps are available in every size that flanges are made.
be water my friend
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Evil Wizard wrote:Thanks Mars, I never thought of using bar!

This is for a 3" fitting and my favorite shop that resells end cuts quoted me $260CDN/foot of 3' bar. gulp.

Maybe I could solder 2 sheets of 20g copper together and then turn it in the drill to file it round. Teflon tape the hell out of the edges so the gasket ridge has something to compress into.
YOU'RE GONNA PUT YOUR EYE OUT WITH THAT ! Faceateous but real . You can do machine work with back yard workarounds . There are potential disastrous consequences to these workarounds .
As long as you know this you can get where you want to go with your plan .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Evil Wizard wrote:Thanks Mars, I never thought of using bar!

This is for a 3" fitting and my favorite shop that resells end cuts quoted me $260CDN/foot of 3" bar. gulp.
so that's only $5.42/cdn for a 1/4" long piece of 3" bar stock ???

edit; a sanitary flange for 3" ss pipe is 3.579" diameter. clarification is needed.
be water my friend
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

I am guessing you want something like this only in copper. http://www.glaciertanks.com/tri-clamp-f ... -caps.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Evil Wizard
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil Wizard »

Yes Corene, that is a sanitary or tri-clamp endcap. I'm thinking they don't exist in non Ssteel.

I have lots of test caps, Hermit, that was a typo on my end..

Cob, they didn't have any rods in stock, but its true, if i didn't have to buy them by the foot they wouldn't be that pricey.

Ok, TruckinButch, take a breath. Which is the dangerous part? I've been reading Flute Talk, where numerous builders have been using drills to lathe their plates circular. So are you saying I can or cannot do machine work in my backyard?

Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Evil Wizard wrote:Yes Corene, that is a sanitary or tri-clamp endcap. I'm thinking they don't exist in non Ssteel.

I have lots of test caps, Hermit, that was a typo on my end..

Cob, they didn't have any rods in stock, but its true, if i didn't have to buy them by the foot they wouldn't be that pricey.

Ok, TruckinButch, take a breath. Which is the dangerous part? I've been reading Flute Talk, where numerous builders have been using drills to lathe their plates circular. So are you saying I can or cannot do machine work in my backyard?
Sure you can . Done it many a time myself . Just want you to be aware that there is a much higher risk involved with the workarounds . That's why I don't post many of them .
I would feel responsible if I posted a workaround here and a novice hurt himself because he didn't fully understand what I was sayin .
Trust me , friend , I have your best interests at heart .
I am here to pay forward help . Not to hold you back .
I have a left index finger with a scar that reflects one of those 'awshits' and the over 100 stitches it took to save it in one of my workarounds that went south in one heartbeat .
I accept responsibility for that on my part . I don't want to be responsible for getting you hurt .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

If I were you, I would be using stainless steel.. already made, just needs to be drilled to the size require.. ss is not hard to drill, just sloooow speed, drill oil, a new drill bit or one that has been recently sharpen, and some pressure.. if you go to fast the ss harden on you.. best to drill by hand, as drill press does not reduce in speed enough..

Just saying, buuuuut you're in the driver seat :)
Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Here is another thought.. I just google "copper tri clamp end caps" and got lot of companies making 3 - 4" copper ferrules.. why not contact them and see if they could make you an end cap in copper, if you really want it in copper..

Here's another option.. get a 3" coupling, cut a slot in it, anneal it to flatten out, then machine the cap from it.. 3" coupling are almost 3/16" in thickness..

Just some thoughts..
Mars

– Albert Einstein
Evil Wizard
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil Wizard »

Hey Mars, thanks for the replies.

I do want it all in copper, that was the point, so I can work it for a customizable entry point for a boiler.

I figured it this morning - I have 3" EZ flange ferrules. I can just solder a flat piece of 20gauge copper (I have lots of sheet.) to the end of the ferrule. Or use a stub of 3" copper pipe and a 3" end cap.

Thanks for your help gents, in the fizzing and formulating in my mind. It probably took less time since I was thinking out loud.

StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Evil Wizard wrote:I figured it this morning - I have 3" EZ flange ferrules. I can just solder a flat piece of 20gauge copper (I have lots of sheet.) to the end of the ferrule. Or use a stub of 3" copper pipe and a 3" end cap.
Your're welcome.. in the end, it's just a matter of how neat you want it to look..

Best
Mars

– Albert Einstein
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

Check out online metals.
You can order it in custom lengths i.e. .250
http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cf ... top_cat=87" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I hope this helps.
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975