Hole size for S.S half couplings?

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Andygr85
Novice

Hole size for S.S half couplings?

Post by Andygr85 »

This question Is for people who solder their connections to their keg. How large do you cut the hole? I've gotten two sets of half couplings. One set was 1-5/8" OD the other set was 1-1/2". The first time I tried, I cut it to the Diameter of the coupling. Not realizing it would of course be able to fall through into the keg. I ended up wedging a copper "shim" between it and the keg. It worked but didn't look great. Next attempt I soldered some stranded wire to the coupling to make a collar. Only problem was that when trying to solder the coupling with the collar to the keg the original solder softened and the coupling again fell through into the keg.
I came up with this.
I brazed, with some stay-silv 45, a piece of 6 gauge copper around the coupling. Won't fall through anymore.
Maybe it's not clever, maybe you all cut the holes to be 1-1/8" and then solder the back side to the outside edge of the keg.
Attachments
20170502_201406-275x489.jpg
20170502_201419-275x489.jpg
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Re: Hole size for S.S half couplings?

Post by corene1 »

If you can find stainless spud flanges you don't have to be as precise with the hole plus there is a flange for more contact surface for the solder to attach to. https://www.amazon.com/Merit-Brass-Stai ... B00K0D5DQS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Andygr85
Novice

Re: Hole size for S.S half couplings?

Post by Andygr85 »

Very Nice. Good find.
This is a forum for grown men to jerk off one another. Specifically for the many to jerk off the few.