Eliminating 2" 90° elbow

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

newfie
Novice

Eliminating 2" 90° elbow

Post by newfie »

I'm planning on doing a still similar to the one attached. I noticed that most of the designs all use a 90° elbow before it reduces it to a smaller size. Is this really necessary? Couldn't I just reduce it down and then use a smaller 90° elbow? The reason I ask is because I'm in Canada and those 2" elbows are not cheap to buy online and have shipped. I'm still attempting to locate a local plumbing wholesaler in the area that has 2" copper rather than ordering online.
Attachments
beer-keg-whiskey-still-006.jpg
Klein
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Eliminating 2" 90° elbow

Post by Klein »

Plumbing supply houses (not talking about big box stores) should have then at a reasonable price (if your talking about a copper 90 like you have in the photo.
newfie
Novice

Post by newfie »

yeah, I'm going to be checking them out in the area. I meant to call them today but it slipped my mind. lol

My question is if I don't find any locally, do I need to have that 2" elbow? Couldn't I reduce it and then use a smaller elbow?
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

you can, but i reduced 2" to 3/4 on a short line arm dumping into a 2" shotgun type PC. No evidence but something tells me i'd be happier if i went 2 the whole way...the reduction speeds the vapour thru the lyne arm and then slows as it enters the larger PC, if my cooling water is too cold it huffs, and it is not a very efficient PC with warmer water. but thats all guessing since i never changed it yet.

but technically yes, you can drop to 3/4 without any catastrophic problems. hell, mine makes damn fine likker.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunner »

Here's something to consider- use a tee instead and be able to use it as a ccvm later. You may not be thinking about that yet, but it is a very versatile piece of kit.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=65801" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

SR
newfie
Novice

Post by newfie »

ShineRunner wrote:Here's something to consider- use a tee instead and be able to use it as a ccvm later. You may not be thinking about that yet, but it is a very versatile piece of kit.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=65801" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

SR
Cool, that might be a good option. Thanks
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

IF you're going to reduce it anyway - why does it matter where ? Use a reducer straight after your tri-clamp and save teh cost of the elbow And the 2" pipe.

IMO you could take it straight down to 1" and run a column say 48" giving you some passive reflux, Then use a long Leibig saving the cost of 2 more reducers and another length of 2" pipe. Depends on your heating wattage of course, but if you're considering 3/4" that can't be very high :)

[Edit - Your column as shown is nowhere near long enough to make a VM adaptor later. ]
[Edit 2 -- Your photy shows a leibig, sorry I thought you said a 2" shotgun - My Bad - forget "2 more reducers and a length of 2" pipe" :) ]
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Sillstirrin, just posted somewhere about that exact same question. I can't remember where but he had a great explanation on that subject.

I personally like the way that still in the pic is set up :thumbup:
15$ for an elbow isn't too awfully bad, I'm on a budget to a degree (wife) but I'd also throw in some unions to make it to where that if you didn't have a level surface you could raise or lower your rig to just about any height needed without the Hassle of trying to level the ground.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

yep it will work.
my pot is 1.1/4 and reduces to 3/4 before the 90, works good.

As ShineRunner mentioned a T is a great option if you have interest in the odd vodka run as well
Don't be a dick