Copper threaded adapters/ brazing fittings.

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

APD
Novice

Copper threaded adapters/ brazing fittings.

Post by APD »

G'day all,

Trying to source copper threaded adapters/ brazing adapters for still making.

Can source the like of below in brass which is ok for water jacket/condenser fittings but I'm after a bunch as thermometer mounts and would prefer copper in the vapor path.

Have tried all my usual sources in N.Z. ... no one does them in copper here - only brass.

Anyone have any reliable sources for this sort of thing plz?
Threaded BSP adaptor
Threaded BSP adaptor
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: Copper threaded adapters/ brazing fittings.

Post by Yummyrum »

Copper screw fittings don't seem to be available Downunder . You could sleeve brass fittings with copper tube . Drill fitting out to fit nearest size if required and sweat ( solder ) it in .
Years ago when I made my VM/LM still I tinned the brass fitting with solder . Over 5 years later I inspected it and it looked just as good as the day I Tinned it . Both the large VM coupling and the smaller LM coupling were tinned .Compare the cleanliness of the Tinned surface to the oxidized copper ...obviously the copper had been doing its thing
Tinned Brass coupling.jpg
Also check out Stainless steal nipples and Couplings in 1/8" and 1/4" sizes .

For thermo ports I have always just soldered on a short length of 3/16" and flared it . I find a teflon tape wrapper thermo shaft wedges in quite nicely :thumbup:
Not quite the best shot of it but you get the idea .You certainly don't need fancy clamps and fittings to hold these thermometers in as they are very light and won't fall out ....certainly won't blow out .
Thermo port.jpg
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

I have electroplated brass fittings with copper. It was simple and durable. Threaded adapters from metric copper pipe to imperial SS gate valve for a VM for example. And brass unions for connecting a liebig to a potstill lyne arm.

But generally you don't need threaded adapters in most cases. There are other options. My current setup has no thread, no tri-clamp, only pipes and fittings. Like this: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=28791
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
APD
Novice

Post by APD »

Thanks for the suggestions!

I hate threads as well and avoid them like the plague - prefer s/s tri-clamp fastenings but there wasn't a lot of room in here for that so the threaded adaptor was an expedient solution for the thermometer mount - I use big-assed dial thermometers.

Tinned possible contact surfaces with silver solder - there was very little area to cover and I had all the bits there ready to go.
Attachments
tinning_brass_sm.jpg