I want to make a jin basket.

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

cheese
Novice

Post by cheese »

Hello.
I can not find the right solution.
Help with working drawings or photos.
In the photo, my distiller.
Best regards, Sergei.
Attachments
измененная 2.jpg
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: I want to make a jin basket.

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Thats a nice looking bit of copper there Sergei.
Did you buy it or make it your self.
If you did buy would you be kind enough to let me know who from.
cheese
Novice

Post by cheese »

My friend did.Makes to order.His channel is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoaj5I ... HvNg/video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
cheese
Novice

Post by cheese »

Photo of the distiller
Attachments
Image.jpg
cheese
Novice

Post by cheese »

For him I want to make a jin basket.I need advice.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

if you go to the top of the page ^^^^ and click HD Google search....and then leave a space and type in gin basket in the search bar, you get results that look like this:

About 463 results (0.33 seconds)
Search Results
Home Distiller • View topic - Gin Basket - Home Distillation of ...
homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12684
Nov 26, 2009 - 7 posts - ‎2 authors
This is a new gin basket that I have made to be placed inline when I want to make soem gin. From my reading I understand that a number of Gin ...
Home Distiller • View topic - gin basket - Home Distillation of ...
homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=61095
Apr 6, 2016 - 4 posts - ‎3 authors
My question is if I fit a basket in the column filled with botanicals instead of rings would it work to produce gin.Thanks for all the informative posts ...
Home Distiller • View topic - GIN BASKET - Home Distillation of ...
ww.homedistiller.org › ... › Column Builds
Nov 13, 2012 - 12 posts - ‎3 authors
Looks good but wouldn't you want the grate on the bottom so it would hold the herb bag like a bucket? Anyway, my gin basket is just that, ...
Home Distiller • View topic - Gin Basket Questions
homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27112
Feb 1, 2012 - 1 post - ‎1 author
Hey guys, looking to make a gin basket. I'm thinking i'll use about a 7" piece of 2" pipe, cap it on top (flour paste to seal), and reduce it down to a ...
Home Distiller • View topic - Gin Basket results
homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2969
Sep 4, 2006 - 3 posts - ‎2 authors
Tried using a gin basket for the first time, to make some ersatz Hendricks gin. I had the ingredients from Hendrick's literature, and guessed at ...
Home Distiller • View topic - "what size gin basket" - Home ...
ww.homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=28125
Mar 10, 2012 - 17 posts - ‎4 authors
i think the size of basket or bag i would need to hold the botanicals would not ... the other obtion is make a gin basket that sits on top of the keg, ...
Home Distiller • View topic - gin basket/infusion chamber for pot ...
w.homedistiller.org › ... › Still Related Hardware
Mar 26, 2014 - 10 posts - ‎1 author
First, where is the best location on a pot still for a gin basket(i.e. bottom of the riser or top just before the 90° that reduces down into the lyne ...
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Your still looks very beautiful. But how do you heat it? The base seems a bit small to me.

As for your gin basket.
You could turn the riser into a gin basket by making a sieve or an iron gauze in the bottom of it. So you can fill the riser with botanicals.
Or your friend can make a box on the bottom or on the top of your riser.
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

Kareltje, is there any concern of blocking the vapor path when you fill the riser with "stuff"? I sure would think that that is a possibility. Please advise and excuse my ignorance if this is an unsubstantiated concern. Great looking bit of copper craftsmanship there. :thumbup:
Worm_Drippinz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Worm_Drippinz »

Nice still!!!!!

Gin* basket
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Kareltje wrote:The base seems a bit small to me.
Kareltje the bulge that you are looking at is called an onion in some distilling circles....in others an expansion chamber.
Im sure it has other more technical names as well but without searching google they elude me at the moment.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Koperhelm.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Image
Kareltje the bulge that you are looking at is called an onion in some distilling circles....in others an expansion chamber.
Im sure it has other more technical names as well but without searching google they elude me at the moment.
Salty you've had a shave :ebiggrin:

BTW , Cheese , thats a bloody nice still head you got . What sort of boiler do you stick it on ? I'm guessing your mate makes some equally sexy copper boilers :thumbup:
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Sergei your friend does lovely work, I'm sure he could sell quite few of his custom made still parts to distillers world wide.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i6Icn9hxX4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwGVBRa6woY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
cheese
Novice

Post by cheese »

Hello.
Here is my distiller in the kit.
Attachments
Image 4.jpg
cheese
Novice

Post by cheese »

Saltbush Bill wrote:Sergei your friend does lovely work, I'm sure he could sell quite few of his custom made still parts to distillers world wide.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i6Icn9hxX4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwGVBRa6woY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
It's difficult to send.
Need to try.))))
If necessary, you can order the product. alcotriumph@gmail.com
Last edited by cheese on Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
cheese
Novice

Post by cheese »

Have made a drawing of a gin basket.
I ask advice.
Attachments
Image-6.jpg
Image.jpg
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Sorry I cant help. Ive never made gin using a a gin basket, all of my Gin is made by macerating the botanicals in spirit for 24 hours and then running the whole lot through a pot still.
Last edited by Saltbush Bill on Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
cheese
Novice

Post by cheese »

))))))))
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

cheese wrote:Hello.
Here is my distiller in the kit.
Now it makes more sense!
I thought the first photos were of your whole still, not only of the head.

Makes it even easier to put the botanicals in the onion. Make a sieve in the widest part of the onion and put a layer of botanicals on it. As long as you spread them loosely and do not press them, they will not block the vapour path.
Than you will have condensate dripping on the botanicals and some do not want that. But that seems to be the higher art of gin making and is beyond my knowledge.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

cheese wrote:Have made a drawing of a gin basket.
I ask advice.
This will prevent the dripping of condens on your botanicals indeed.

I can not advise you on that. There are so many recipes and so many techniques, they all have their pros and cons.
But I have two questions:
1) why do you want a tube in the middle?
2) why do you want a drainage?
cheese
Novice

Post by cheese »

Is the protective tube necessary from the pressure in the center of the basket or not?
Drainage for condensate. I do not want oil from spices to cube.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

cheese wrote:Is the protective tube necessary from the pressure in the center of the basket or not? Normally not. Only if you really plug it up with the spices. I have much experience with fruits in the vapor. They have never plugged. Although you need much more fruits than spices for the same amount of flavor. The vapor doesn't mash fruits, it shrinks them.
Drainage for condensate.The condesate will be very high abv. You loose much alcohol here. I do not want oil from spices to cube.Cube? Sorry. I don't understand. If the oils simply flow back into the column, it will be difficult for them to come over. In general slow distilling and a fores cut will make that the Gin remains clear after dilution.
Yes. A simple screen would be my choice.

BTW. The seals of your still look like rubber. Rubber is not alcohol resistant. The only safe plastic is ptfe.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
cheese
Novice

Post by cheese »

Thank you. The cube is a container which is heated.
Protective tube in a gin basket will be removed.
Drainage for condensate will be removed.
Attachments
Image-2.jpg
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Ah, cube means boiler!

Of course there are more than one successful ways. I don't know where you got the idea with the drainage. Perhaps it is something useful. At least with a valve to control it. Perhaps there is a famous Gin producer, which has something like this. Of course such a drain makes a difference. But I think the oils will swim on the surface and you loose much alcohol. Perhaps if a drain could remove the oils from the surface, you would get a reduction of oils. Actually I am not a Gin maker. I don't know exactly what's so wrong or right with the oils.

A simple screen or cage for sure would be an easy and working starting point. Perhaps you will move on sometime.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

A lot of the flavors you want are oils and getting rid of them is a mistake.

Putting a tube in that lets vapor escape without passing through the botanicals makes no sense at all.

Most botanicals work very in the boiler, so packing everything into a gin basket isn't always the best option. I use three different still configurations for gin, the only one I run with all of the botanicals in the gin basket is a Carter Head.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

An inline basket at the top of the taper will be where the vapour is moving the fastest. Because of the tapered cone, it will move like a tornado, so those heavier oils are much more likely to carry over to the condenser than to fall back down again. An offset basket (carter head) allows the vapour time to pool before moving on to the lyne arm/condenser.

It all depends what you want your end result to be.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

So are you trying to keep your kettle free from botanical oils? If so use an offset gin head design.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gin+bas ... ctMaPNGfGM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow:
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

SaltyStaves wrote:An inline basket at the top of the taper will be where the vapour is moving the fastest. Because of the tapered cone, it will move like a tornado, so those heavier oils are much more likely to carry over to the condenser than to fall back down again. An offset basket (carter head) allows the vapour time to pool before moving on to the lyne arm/condenser.

Cyclonic action throws heavy particles to the outer wall and they run back down with the reflux.

A Carter Head prevents volatile flavor components from being refluxed back into the boiler.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

SaltyStaves wrote:An inline basket at the top of the taper will be where the vapour is moving the fastest. Because of the tapered cone, it will move like a tornado, so those heavier oils are much more likely to carry over to the condenser than to fall back down again. An offset basket (carter head) allows the vapour time to pool before moving on to the lyne arm/condenser.

Good point. But it is even more complicated, because the gin basket as shown is much wider than the top of the cone.
So the vapour will expand, the speed will drop and the temperature will drop.
Maybe the drops of condensate will be blown up again by the upward speed and the heat in the top of the cone. But some may be too heavy.

There are much variables here, I guess it is impossible to predict what exactly happens and how this influences the taste and smell.
As NZChris said, and we know from Odins easy gin and Der Wo's Geist: there are differences in taste of stuff boiled in the kettle, with or without long maceration, or extracted by vapour, with or without reflux of oils and after or before a column.
And than there are the different uses for the gin: to sip as a drink on its own, to mix with tonic, to mix in other cocktails.

To me it seems like a vast universe to explore. So boldly go where many men have gone before. And discover new worlds.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

NZChris wrote: Cyclonic action throws heavy particles to the outer wall and they run back down with the reflux.
Good point. They may also scorch if the copper is hot enough.