Hydrometer

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

pjeterschornstein
Novice

Hydrometer

Post by pjeterschornstein »

Hey all!

Just got this hydrometer in the mail today, instructions are in Chinese :eh: ..
I'm not sure how to work it and if it's even the one I need. It got 3 pieces, 0-40, 40-70, 70-100
If it is, can someone point me to some instructions?
If not, to the one I need to buy.

Thank you.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Re: Hydrometer

Post by der wo »

Alcohol by volume of distillates? Or are you sure it's for mashes?

Just for interest: How does the picture work? What happens, when you delete it? Will it be still visible here?
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
pjeterschornstein
Novice

Not sure.. it's this one: http://www.ebay.de/itm/3Pcs-Hydrometer- ... TB:US:3160" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Second question : probably. but I'm new here. lol. took me a while to upload it..
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Yes. It's for the abv of distillates. We normally say "alcoholmeter" to such an instrument. A "hydrometer" is the same thing for the specific gravity (sugar content) of mashes. You need both.
For this low price I don't think you get a good quality. Measure store bought unsweetned spirits with it and you will see how accurate it is.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
pjeterschornstein
Novice

Thanks der wo, I did not know that it's a different thing. I'll try to test how accurate it is tomorrow.
I actually bought it to test my mash... can you tell me what's the difference so I could buy a hydrometer this time?
I would like to buy a good one tho for sure. what's a normal price for that? also, I'm in Germany, if you know a supplier in Europe.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Look for a beer and wine hydrometer
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

The difference is a different measuring range and scale. Water and sugar is more heavy than water and alcohol. It is bad translated from the ebay-seller to write "hydrometer".

So you speak German?
Then search in Geman internet for Oechslespindel, Mostwaage or Hydrometer.
In general a calibrated one is too expensive. Buy a cheap one, but check it with a few exact measured sugar-water mixtures. Use this calculator:
http://homedistiller.org/calcs/sugar_sg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
It will make the same mistake every time. When for example at 1.050 it shows 1.053, it will do this every time.

You will find cheap ones on ebay.de. Type "Mostwaage".
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Mostwaage-Weinwa ... xyBotTcMCr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Looks good. But only up to 1.100. So if you want to make either Turbo washes or pure molasses Rum washes, it's the wrong one.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Mostwaage-Mustim ... SwH09ZE~PX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Up to 1.130

Or with a glass cylinder:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Mostwaage-Weinwa ... SwHpdZyQ1T" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
pjeterschornstein
Novice

Hey Der Wo, Thanks again. I've bought one that you recommended (second from below). I tested it with distilled water and it's off by 2 points which would be very easy to take into account.
The alcoholometer I bought is surprisingly accurate.. at least two of them that I checked so far. I tested Gin 44.6 and it showed 45 : just 0.4 off if the label is correct. Surprised me to see that when a drink is sweetened the meter just float above completely.
Anyway. Hope I can test all of them real soon.
Cheers!
C2H5O5
Swill Maker

Post by C2H5O5 »

Get 2 of each.
:D
"Carrots may be good for your eyes, but Booze will double your vision"

HD Search This helped me!
varocketry
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by varocketry »

SCAN the CHINESE instructions and use GOOGLE TRANSLATE to get yourself a translated text.
-Just need something else to build. -