Gaskets... for triclamps

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Gaskets... for triclamps

Post by Rastus »

I did a search on this but didnt get anything so i am posting this here...

i am not associated with any company, but here is something that looks pretty good to me.

Triclamp gaskets by a company called rubberfab that makes a flexible gasket of PTFE and 316 Stainless steel.

... I called and asked them about suitability for alcohol vapor system as in distillation and he told me straight, thats it only those 2 ingredients which is on our list of approved items.

here is a page for the vendor i use for several items i used in my builds...

https://www.glaciertanks.com/rubberfab- ... skets.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

but the tuf steel looks good for OUR application. I am going to order a full set for my flute...i think I will try these also in my sight glass set up so i can get rid of that leaky teflon tape :D
She was just a moonshiner,
But he loved her Still
Blarney Stoned
Swill Maker

Re: Gaskets... for triclamps

Post by Blarney Stoned »

Very interesting. Thank you for posting.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

I was walking through the stock room of my gasket supplier the other day and spied some Viton gaskets with PTFE envelope over the top. It was a substantial hard covering over the viton and would be perfectly suitable as a replacement for the PTFE gaskets I use. Only thing is, a 4" PTFE gasket costs me $5.75 and the viton/ptfe one costs $12.65.

The Tuf-Steel sounds good, but I'd be concerned about their use with copper tri clover fittings.
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

SaltyStaves wrote:I was walking through the stock room of my gasket supplier the other day and spied some Viton gaskets with PTFE envelope over the top. It was a substantial hard covering over the viton and would be perfectly suitable as a replacement for the PTFE gaskets I use. Only thing is, a 4" PTFE gasket costs me $5.75 and the viton/ptfe one costs $12.65.

The Tuf-Steel sounds good, but I'd be concerned about their use with copper tri clover fittings.
with the copper are you referring to the manufactured ones i have seen ? or hand made copper flanges...

i did look at the manufactures website and they make it in sheets and many type of forms... so ... just Point of info...

Best regards

R
But he loved her Still
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

Rastus wrote: with the copper are you referring to the manufactured ones i have seen ? or hand made copper flanges...
Both. It would not matter either way.
Skipper1953
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Skipper1953 »

SaltyStaves wrote:
Rastus wrote: with the copper are you referring to the manufactured ones i have seen ? or hand made copper flanges...
Both. It would not matter either way.
Would you mind actually explaining what it is you think would be a problem?
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

Skipper1953 wrote: Would you mind actually explaining what it is you think would be a problem?
You have friction, heat and liquid and two very different metals in contact with each other.
Between two SS ferrules its fine, but I wouldn't want to test it with my one-of-a-kind copper still head.

I have deformation issues with the PTFE gaskets that I have to manage, but at least I know that they are completely inert to my still head.
BugHunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BugHunter »

I picked up a few of the envelope gaskets from gvc.net. They have 2" envelope gaskets for $2.98 with either EPDM or Viton inside the PTFE envelope. Or 4.91 if you want the flanged gaskets that stay attached to one of the flanges for easier handling. I got 2 each of the unflanged, and 1 each of the flanged, just to see how they work.

They also have the Tuf-Flex, which has the PTFE bonded to the EPDM core, rather than just a EPDM ring inside of a seperate PTFE "U" cross sectioned envelope. They are supposed to be more flexible and more durable than the envelope gaskets, but those are $18.33 for a 2" gasket, and that was more than I'm willing to pay.

They also have the Tuf-Steel gaskets, at $8.07 for the 2" size.

For comparison, their solid PTFE 2" gaskets are $1.45. So the envelope gaskets are about twice as much.

For the 4" ones that Salty needs, they are:
PTFE: $3.64
Envelope: $6.82 (EPDM or Viton)
Envelope, flanged: $10.51 9EPDM or Viton)
Tuf-Steel: $18.27
Tuf-Steel, flanged: $72.00 (flanges are apparently expensive!)
Tuf-Flex; $34.73
Skipper1953
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Skipper1953 »

SaltyStaves wrote:
Skipper1953 wrote: Would you mind actually explaining what it is you think would be a problem?
You have friction, heat and liquid and two very different metals in contact with each other.
Between two SS ferrules its fine, but I wouldn't want to test it with my one-of-a-kind copper still head.

I have deformation issues with the PTFE gaskets that I have to manage, but at least I know that they are completely inert to my still head.
Are you saying you would be concerned about a galvanic reaction? If so, wouldn't that be a problem if/when you clamp a copper section to a ss section using a ss tri-clover clamp regardless of what the gasket material is made of? Would this even be an issue if you disassembled your column between runs?
BugHunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BugHunter »

SaltyStaves wrote:

You've already got a Stainless clamp touching your copper flange. The only difference is that this is outside of the still, so you don't have vapor/liquid in contact. But then, for galvanic reactions, that's pretty important.

Here's a document about the interaction of stainless with other metals. In general, copper and stainless seem to be pretty safe together. They point out that stainless and copper are often used together for potable water, "as both materials have similar corrosion potential in potable water." They also are pretty compatible in seawater. But then what we have in our stills isn't exactly potable water or seawater. And the electrolyte does make a difference. Unfortunately, I'm not finding much info on the corrosion potentials of copper and/or stainless in combinations of water, ethanol, methanol, acetone, fusel oils, and various esters and other congeners. But given that they have a very low difference in potential in all of the electrolytes I've found, I suspect they're also pretty safe together in a still.

In general, copper and stainless are fairly close to each other on the "nobility" scale (both are fairly high), so they won't react much with each other. Here's a galvanic table. Copper is #33 (of 92), and 304 stainless is #40. So they're pretty close. And closesness is what matters for having minimal reactions.

Also, the relative areas of copper to stainless matters. A small amount of stainless (the cathode) in contact with a large amount of copper (the anode) will result in less corrosion than lots of stainless in contact with little copper. In this case, there would be microscopic stainless particles in contact with macroscopic copper flange, so that would make the potential for corrosion even smaller.

Plus, the steel in the Tuf-Steel gaskets seems to be pretty much encased in the PTFE, so I doubt there is much actual stainless to copper contact.

So it looks to me like this would have very little potentian for galvanic reaction. But no one is forcing anyone to use these things, so make your own decision. :)

Disclaimer: I'm a software engineer, not a metallurgist. My understanding is based largely on what I've read in the last hour or so.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

Yes, I was only concerned about the inside. My SS clamp and my copper tri clover ferrule have never given me any signs of trouble and of course remain dry at all times.
Plus, the steel in the Tuf-Steel gaskets seems to be pretty much encased in the PTFE, so I doubt there is much actual stainless to copper contact.
This is where I'm unsure. The Tuf-Flex certainly sounds like the outer surface is one hundred percent PTFE, but the Tuf-Steel sounds like a composite.

True that it is likely to be a negligible galvanic reaction, but I only know enough to be cautious.
BugHunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BugHunter »

On further thought, it occurs to me that a number of people have used stainless tri-clamp ferrules on copper pipe, and I haven't heard any reports of issues with that. That's big chunks of stainless in very solid contact with big chunks of copper. If the two are going to have a galvanic reaction, we'd certainly be seeing it in that situation.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

BugHunter wrote:On further thought, it occurs to me that a number of people have used stainless tri-clamp ferrules on copper pipe, and I haven't heard any reports of issues with that. That's big chunks of stainless in very solid contact with big chunks of copper. If the two are going to have a galvanic reaction, we'd certainly be seeing it in that situation.
Unless something is wrong, that is always going to be dry in operation.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

I have a stainless ferrule pounded inside of and soldered to a copper column. It certainly isnt dry at the inside joint in action. I see no issues.
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

wow great discussion...
so far i have not had issues with my Hard as sled runner
PTFE gaskets, but i tighten them quite firmly each time. with a little more flex in the tuff steel gaskets it would be re-assuring to expect a better seal reducing the chances of a vapor leak i may get some sheet pieces I can cut to fit into my sight glass windows and not worry about the PTFE tape seal in those . That's Priceless.

safety is foremost

and by question and good discussion we learn and its good to know we have possible options.

with these different metals together, the other factor is possibly the solder used which is in my case silver bearing solder for all my stainless flange to copper. but inside my deflag and condenser i used Harris saftey silv 56, but thats not what i was intending to discuss here ...

Best regards, and be safe
But he loved her Still
luva69r
Novice

Post by luva69r »

Rastus wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:00 am wow great discussion...
so far i have not had issues with my Hard as sled runner
PTFE gaskets, but i tighten them quite firmly each time. with a little more flex in the tuff steel gaskets it would be re-assuring to expect a better seal reducing the chances of a vapor leak i may get some sheet pieces I can cut to fit into my sight glass windows and not worry about the PTFE tape seal in those . That's Priceless.

safety is foremost

and by question and good discussion we learn and its good to know we have possible options.

with these different metals together, the other factor is possibly the solder used which is in my case silver bearing solder for all my stainless flange to copper. but inside my deflag and condenser i used Harris saftey silv 56, but thats not what i was intending to discuss here ...

Best regards, and be safe
Just wondering if you ended up using the PTFE/SS gaskets and if so, are they any good? Cheers
The more hair I lose, the more head I get... ;-)
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

I never did.... I kinda ground to a halt, and only recently entertained the idea of dusting off and doing a few runs.... my covid hoarding involved a few sacks of cane sugar haha... we will always need sanitizer, RIGHT???
But he loved her Still