T500 Adaptions

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Manc
Site Donor
Site Donor

T500 Adaptions

Post by Manc »

I like to share some of my experiences of running a t500 and invite people to put me straight and help me get better with there own experiences the solution I have found are by searching this site I'm not trying to claim as my own but put in one place and would like to thank everyone.

The biggest problem I originally found was controlling the water flow with the needle valve. I found that connecting to the mains water the slightest touch or any other item in the house using water would send the water temperature soaring or crashing and find it difficult to keep a constant flow. I have since bought a garden pond pump and a 200 litre barrel and now it takes a quarter turn of the valve to adjust the temperature of the cooling water.
rps20180415_192330.jpg
The pump was off Amazon and is a 1500 l/ph with a 1.8 m max head it was adjustable so I could turn down but it has ran on full power since I got it, also with the heated water returning I have had no problems.

The next adaption was a voltage regulator and I think this is the best, Once I get the fores coming through I turn it down to 75% on the display ( I've read that this is not a linear reduction so don't know in real terms ). When the power is reduced I set the coloum into full reflux for 15 mins then adjust the water flow to get a broken stream around 55°c on the water thermometer and it now runs to the end with no further adjustments. Bit boring compared to what I use to do up and down like a ........ .
rps20180415_192235.jpg
This was £10 off AliExpress it's a
AC 220V 10000W 80A Digital Control SCR Electronic Voltage Regulator 10-220V Speed Control Dimmer Thermostat + Digital Meters
I used a plug socket so I didn't have butcher the cable as it's still under warranty

Also because it's supplied with a plastic take off pipe I replaced with a 8mm soft copper pipe
rps20180415_192156.jpg
My next project is to make a modular pot head for the boiler I got a Tri clamp adapter again from AliExpress it cost £15 and fits the hole in the lid perfect it's a male DN 40 thread

rps20180415_184545.jpg
Manc
kimbodious
Distiller

Re: T500 Adaptions

Post by kimbodious »

Thanks for sharing :thumbup:
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
Manc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Manc »

Just a quick update

With the DN40 adaptor on the t500 boiler I can connect various Tri clamp fitting here's a picture of one configuration.
[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201809 ... 4f0e99.jpg[/img]
scdad
Novice

Post by scdad »

Hi Manc!

Do you have a link to that adaptor handy? I picked up a T500 boiler cheap and am trying to build a column for it. This looks like the last piece I need.

Thanks!
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Well done, all of the modifications you have made will be improvements in my opinion. Years ago I owned and ran a T500. I still use the boiler with a pot head as my gin still.
Have resently built a controler for it.
Manc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Manc »

Hi scdad

I bought my adapter from this site

£11.68 | 1 1/2"(DN40)48mm External Thread Adapter * Tri-clamp 2"(51mm)OD64 With Silicone Gasket Stainless Steel 304,
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bYOWgdFT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

It works well but the lid of the t500 in my opinion is a little bit flimsy so be careful with how much weight you use. Hope it all goes well

Lee
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Manc wrote: in my opinion is a little bit flimsy so be careful with how much weight you use.
If you fit it with a pot still head just make a prop to take some of the weight. Place it under the liebig condenser to take some of the weight of the still head , water and hoses.
scdad
Novice

Post by scdad »

Thank you Manc! I scrolled through pages of tri-clover fittings and failed miserably to find this...

Thanks for the advice Manc and Saltbush Bill. I will rig up some kind of support for sure.
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

Just ordered a new copper dome lid for mine from Mile High in Colorado wanted the increase in head space and the added benefit of the copper building a pid controler is the best upgrade for this unit and they sell a water pump that takes all the headache out of the water adjustments set it once and done.
Manc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Manc »

Sunshineer wrote:Just ordered a new copper dome lid for mine from Mile High in Colorado wanted the increase in head space and the added benefit of the copper building a pid controler is the best upgrade for this unit and they sell a water pump that takes all the headache out of the water adjustments set it once and done.
Good luck with your modifications but you are barking up the wrong tree with a pid controller it is covered many times on this forum do a search or go through the novice reading if you haven't already

Lee
brewstillski
Novice

Post by brewstillski »

Manc wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:59 am Just a quick update

With the DN40 adaptor on the t500 boiler I can connect various Tri clamp fitting here's a picture of one configuration.
[Sorry to revive this from the dead]

Wow that looks great. I'm looking to do something very similar to my T500. Did you document that particular condensor build in another thread (or elsewhere)? I've got the water flow controller and PWM controller for the boiler, but my next project will be a new column and condensor. I really like the modular idea with tri clamp fittings. Anyway, great modificaitons and build.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

I'm wondering if any one has tried to make a modified gin basket for the T500.
I tried a run with the Still Spirits Gin Basket but I am of the view it is too small and the fruit was overcooked at the end, just from looking and smelling it.
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
Manc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Manc »

brewstillski wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:16 pm
Manc wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:59 am Just a quick update

[Sorry to revive this from the dead]

Wow that looks great. I'm looking to do something very similar to my T500. Did you document that particular condensor build in another thread (or elsewhere)? I've got the water flow controller and PWM controller for the boiler, but my next project will be a new column and condensor. I really like the modular idea with tri clamp fittings. Anyway, great modificaitons and build.
Thanks brewstillski

Glad you found the post helpful. I just used bought triclamp fitting from various places. I've since also made some pipes for a thumper/ steamer setup recently, not much cheaper but satisfying to finally have a go and so easy with the right stuff highly recommend this will be my way forward in the future.

Sorry for the late reply not on here so much now but love checking in to see what people are upto.

Lee
PaulmyFinger
Novice

Post by PaulmyFinger »

Manc wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:26 am I like to share some of my experiences of running a t500 and invite people to put me straight and help me get better with there own experiences the solution I have found are by searching this site I'm not trying to claim as my own but put in one place and would like to thank everyone.

The biggest problem I originally found was controlling the water flow with the needle valve. I found that connecting to the mains water the slightest touch or any other item in the house using water would send the water temperature soaring or crashing and find it difficult to keep a constant flow. I have since bought a garden pond pump and a 200 litre barrel and now it takes a quarter turn of the valve to adjust the temperature of the cooling water.

rps20180415_184545.jpg

The pump was off Amazon and is a 1500 l/ph with a 1.8 m max head it was adjustable so I could turn down but it has ran on full power since I got it, also with the heated water returning I have had no problems.

The next adaption was a voltage regulator and I think this is the best, Once I get the fores coming through I turn it down to 75% on the display ( I've read that this is not a linear reduction so don't know in real terms ). When the power is reduced I set the coloum into full reflux for 15 mins then adjust the water flow to get a broken stream around 55°c on the water thermometer and it now runs to the end with no further adjustments. Bit boring compared to what I use to do up and down like a ........ .

rps20180415_192156.jpg

This was £10 off AliExpress it's a
AC 220V 10000W 80A Digital Control SCR Electronic Voltage Regulator 10-220V Speed Control Dimmer Thermostat + Digital Meters
I used a plug socket so I didn't have butcher the cable as it's still under warranty

rps20180415_192330.jpg

Manc

Hi, what's the other gubins on the wall, is it for the voltage regulator?