Swaging Tool Drill Bit

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Swaging Tool Drill Bit

Post by Bushman »

Found this tool and thought it would be helpful when building your still.
https://roched.com/products/swaging-too ... XkLi_cfxBk
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: Swaging Tool Drill Bit

Post by Demy »

There are many more or less expensive tools for that job. I had seen this https://bit.ly/3mvSEnl, but then I used a DIY tool and a hammer!
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Never considered swaging with a drill; Is there an advantage?

I use something like this, and a hammer.
HDX-Swaging-Tool-–-1000-012-501.jpg
HDX-Swaging-Tool-–-1000-012-501.jpg (12.73 KiB) Viewed 2774 times
Cost was less than 8 cad beer tokens.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Expat wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:28 am Never considered swaging with a drill; Is there an advantage?

That and a pipe flaring tool used on exhaust systems for 1.5 and 2 inch pipe.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I believe this https://bit.ly/3c6TMJg is the most professional but it is tremendously expensive for occasional use, I don't think I would ever buy it. Gripper tools have the advantage that they can be used on pre-assembled parts that cannot be clamped in the vice
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I just saw a video and thought it was handy, glad others have found cheaper ways to flare pipe.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Bushman wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:47 pm I just saw a video and thought it was handy, glad others have found cheaper ways to flare pipe.
The tool he posted is useful. We have added more tools because they all do the same job and it is more useful to have more routes! :thumbup:
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Deplorable wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:23 am
Expat wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:28 am Never considered swaging with a drill; Is there an advantage?

Largest is 3/4" actually. Can't imagine using it on anything harder than annealed copper.
Last edited by Expat on Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by OtisT »

Bushman, thanks for sharing that. I like the type you shared. I have used the hammer in kind and find it a PITA, mainly because it is hard to maintain a grip on the pipe without crushing/scaring It while trying to hammer the flaring bit in. I don’t think the tool you shared would present the same level of challenge.

I don’t know what they are called, but I’m on the lookout for a side of the pipe swag tool that does not cost a lot. Looking for one that would flare out from the side of a larger pipe, like something that would create flaring to weld a ferrule onto for making a plate section window. The ones I have found for use with high torque power drills are damn expensive. I’ve watched some folks do the same starting with a small hole then creating the flare out with a torch, a piece of round steel for shaping and a hammer. That is art in motion.

Maybe we figure out a way to start a tool sharing library by region. One way to spread the cost of specialty one-shot tools that cost a lot. Folks pitch in incrementally, and if you F up the tool you bought it. A private site external to HD so no connection between Stilling and building. Just thinking out loud.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Expat wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:44 pm

Largest is 3/4" actually. Can't imagine using it on anything harder than annealed copper.
No brother, I meant one of these, for larger diameter pipe.
20200917_162037.jpg
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

Demy wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:40 am I believe this https://bit.ly/3c6TMJg is the most professional but it is tremendously expensive for occasional use, I don't think I would ever buy it. Gripper tools have the advantage that they can be used on pre-assembled parts that cannot be clamped in the vice
We have one of these in our shop (made by Ridgid Tool)(also quite a bit more expensive than the Chinese bullshit)
I originally purchased it for the shop some 20 years ago and it is a good tool.
The tool Bushman shared seemed like a great alternative and even though I will not be purchasing one it actually seems like a nicer option.
I like the fact that it automatically deburrs the pipe and the friction keeps the pipe from work hardening.
Unlike the Ridgid expander that can leave vertical grooves in the cup, being this is expanded while spinning should ensure a smooth joint.
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

OtisT see if this helps. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=21258

I have the tools that Expat and Deplorable posted an have had varying degrees of success,

next time I use the tapered expander I will try it in a drill. In the op video I noticed

a bend in the pipe that in effect was a handle with leverage. I wonder if that tool can

be used with bare hands and straight pipe without bleeding or blisters?

it does look like a tool I will add to my shop.

Edit: Prairiepiss's post above inspired the thought that by cutting off a bolt,

and reprofiling a coupling nut you could make any custom size you want.
be water my friend
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

cob wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:45 pm OtisT see if this helps. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=21258

I have the tools that Expat and Deplorable posted an have had varying degrees of success,

next time I use the tapered expander I will try it in a drill. In the op video I noticed

a bend in the pipe that in effect was a handle with leverage. I wonder if that tool can

Sounds like a great alternative to me if you have easy access inside the tube. I love homemade tools!
NineInchNails

Post by NineInchNails »

Deplorable wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:21 pm

20200917_162037.jpg
Those pipe expanders are also excellent for TIG welding ferrules to pipe. They hold them perfectly aligned with the pipe.
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

This is cool as hell imo. Ive always flared pipe with a ball peen and wood or a small swadging tool. The bit seems to work a charm. Wish i woulda had that when i started out!
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

Cheapest option I've seen :
https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/plum ... ing_clicks

Cheers,
Irish
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

cob wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:45 pm OtisT see if this helps. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=21258

Sweet solution. I could make something like that and like it. Would not work for most plumbers needs, but for column sections I can get inside of, this looks like a great solution. Also good for a 2” shotgun I will be making because the tees would be near the ends of that jacket section. Thanks.

I had found a set from Ali express for $280 that includes both the tee maker as well as a tube expander for rounding/smoothing the hole. Comes in 5 different sizes from 3/8” to 1 1/8”. I am not buying this, but considered it.

I also saw a home made tee extractor tool that I was thinking of fabricating before you shared this post. That tool was made from a single 1/2” hard steel bolt, with the head ground with a flat J in it like many of the tools I found in a google search. Does not make perfectly clean holes, but it is now my backup plan if I don’t have success with making a tool like you shared.

Otis
Jack C
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jack C »

I have a set like Bushman posted that goes up to 7/8. Love it. works great on soft copper and with a powerful and fast drill I have used it on hard drawn copper. Its just tough to hold the pipe if it is straight. P.S. It gets hot as hell use caution.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Jack C wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:48 pm I have a set like Bushman posted that goes up to 7/8. Love it. works great on soft copper and with a powerful and fast drill I have used it on hard drawn copper. Its just tough to hold the pipe if it is straight. P.S. It gets hot as hell use caution.
Have you tried a low RPM drill motor? Just wondering if that would work any better.
Otis
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

20200917_162037.jpg
Have you used one of these with success on a section of copper pipe? How do you hold your copper pipe secure as you torque the shit out of it with this tool? I ask because I tried one of these once on a piece of 2” pipe with no success. I could not find a way to grip the copper with enough friction and not ruin it. Otis
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I would like to try to replicate that bit, maybe I'll just use some bolts and some welds. Do you think that the common iron in the tip would resist?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

OtisT wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:58 pm
20200917_162037.jpg
Have you used one of these with success on a section of copper pipe? How do you hold your copper pipe secure as you torque the shit out of it with this tool? I ask because I tried one of these once on a piece of 2” pipe with no success. I could not find a way to grip the copper with enough friction and not ruin it. Otis
I haven't yet, but was planning to as I contemplate a new CCVM column build
Jack C
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jack C »

I think the high rpm heats the hard copper enough to help anneal it. That seems to help the swaging process.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Jack C wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:04 am I think the high rpm heats the hard copper enough to help anneal it. That seems to help the swaging process.
In the link of those bits there are the minimum revolutions needed but in my opinion it would be better to heat the copper first, unless those bits are damaged by heat.
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Irishgnome wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:06 am Cheapest option I've seen :
https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/plum ... ing_clicks

Cheers,
Irish
Thats just a case? Lol
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Chauncey wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:37 am
Thats just a case? Lol
Ha! Nice catch, Chauncey!
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

[/quote]

I have lots of surplus conveyor belt and a 3-4" wide piece in a large vice holds 2" copper fine.

and with an air lug wrench you can ???????
be water my friend
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Jack C wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:04 am I think the high rpm heats the hard copper enough to help anneal it. That seems to help the swaging process.
That was my thinking too. Reminds me of "flow drilling" a trick I picked up from Harry (RIP) back on yahoo. Doesn't work for big jobs, but for 1/2" and smaller it's a treat. You can use any blount thing and just spin and press until it heats up and presses through. I've used counter sink bits spun backwards, random junk grinding bits from the bottom of the toolbox, just get the right diameter and spin up a nice little collared swage. Feels like it's never gonna work until you start smelling it and then it just gives way and stretches like clay.

Aktwually... I forget I'm a caveman and a hand drill is my most exotic machinery. One of you fancy lads gentlemen with a drill press or lathe ever try that in a bigger size?
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I tried to build something like this, I created another post in the suitable section https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 50&t=80460
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Demy in your video what did you use to hold the tube in the vise?