Lava Rock Require Maintenance

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Lava Rock Require Maintenance

Post by StillerBoy »

Recently ( started a few months back ) I run into an issue with yellowish tinted distillate at the beginning of a spirit run, namely with the fores and head section..

When first encountering the issue, I cleaned the whole column sections, using a mild vinegar solution.. that helped some but the yellowish tint was still present, but not to extent it was before..

What the f**k is going on ? ? never encounter this before.. well, after using the same lava rocks for the past 2 yrs or so on a weekly bases, it so happen that the lava rocks got coated with a yellowish film which is created from distilling, similar to what coated the column walls during distilling runs.. and the lava rocks are rinsed five time with hot water after each usage..

While this was happening and trying to figure out what was going on, the idea of cleaning the rocks with mild vinegar had help some, meaning it didn't run so far into the head section, but it was still present.. and I processed to start making a new set of lava rocks.. in the process, the idea that the vinegar had help some, why not a stronger acid bath, like citric acid..

Bingo.. the citric bath clean the rocks.. a solution of 2 tbsp of citric acid in 1 gal of hot water and a soak for over an hour, did the job..

After 3 runs, the distillate is clear from the very start.. so this bit of info is posted for those that may encounter the same issue with using lava rocks.. keeping in mind that I've been using the rocks on weekly runs, so it take a few yrs to build up to the level dis-scripted here..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Lava Rock Require Maintenance

Post by still_stirrin »

Thanks Mars. Great anecdotal information.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Thanks Mars. Good to know as I consider going to lava rocks.
Knowing nothing about lava rocks, I am assuming there is no concern around the rocks scoring the inside of the column?
-- Rrmuf
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Rrmuf wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:43 am I am assuming there is no concern around the rocks scoring the inside of the column?
Once sized and tumbled in water before using them to round off the corners, no issue there, or at least never had one..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Ah even the ole pros run into issues every now and then
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Thanks all!
-- Rrmuf
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Durhommer wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:41 am Ah even the ole pros run into issues every now and then
Yeah... so true.. there's always learning to be done, especially in the details, such as flooding becoming my friend.. it's an interesting hobby..

That maybe why I enjoy F1 racing so much.. details.. a tenth of a second here, a quarter degree here.. it all adds up... LOL

Mars

– Albert Einstein
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

So true... maybe you will have some pointers for me when I get this shotgun condenser
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Durhommer wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:49 pm maybe you will have some pointers for me when I get this shotgun condenser
You know you can reach me for info and assistance anytime..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Mars have you tried baking your lava rocks? I use 400+ degree heat for lots of inorganic cleaning.
be water my friend
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Cob..

It never came to mind to use high time nor have I've try heating the rocks to 400*F to clean them, nor use high temp to dry them, after use a few good hot water rinse and air dried..

Would have some idea as to what the high temp will clean.. and do you use rocks and have you experience the yellowish tint..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

I use high heat to sterilize stainless and titanium tubes and some forms of glass (borosilicate)

and stainless scrubbies. if you use this method use the BBQ outside not the kitchen oven.

you can do a test with 1-2 pieces and a torch. I don't use lava rock.
be water my friend
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Thanks Cob.. I will experience with the concept outlined..

Mars

– Albert Einstein