Hey Ya'll - newbie from Oklahoma

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

OkieRebel
Novice

Hey Ya'll - newbie from Oklahoma

Post by OkieRebel »

Hello-
I'm excited to find this site. Looks like a great exchange of knowledge for what seems to be a dying art form. Just a bit about me... I'm from Southeast Oklahoma, born & raised. I live on the same homestead my Daddy grew up on & where I spent many a Sunday afternoon fishing, feeding chickens & cows, and generally just enjoying my childhood spending time with my Memaw & Papaw. A close friend of ours has been making wine for awhile now & has gotten pretty good at it. Not being a big wine drinker, he is branching out & wants to try his hand at making some of the "good stuff" I'm just the redneck computer nerd who likes to do research & help with taste testing lol. He's set as far as equipment, but the corn malt seems to be a bit of an obstacle. We live in a pretty rural area & oh did I mention he even lives in DRY county. Thank goodness our law makers are here to protect us <hmm no html code for sarcasm...> so the search begins!!!
I plan on doin a lot of reading & forgive me if I ask some "dumb" questions but I am kind of ignorant to this subject & really want to learn!
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Re: Hey Ya'll - newbie from Oklahoma

Post by jedneck »

Welcome, do plenty of reading, I'd start with Franky's spoon feeding post. It will answer most every beginner question and then some. And here is a link to your corn malt problem
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... e#p7307975
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Howdy OkieRebel! My daughter in law grew up in your area! This is the right place to be. Hope you like to read because that is a big thing here. Start with crankys post in novices called a little spoon feeding for new distillers. This one post will answer most questions that you'll have. Getting malted grain can be easy enough over the Internet, but you can also do conversion with enzymes. Read,read,read and enjoy the forums! :wave:
Posted same as Jed
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

Okierebel welcome to the forum. Why, may I ask is corn malt an obstacle for you already? Have you boys been playing already? A dangerous thing if so. I will suggest a tried and true recipe found here on this site called Uncle Jesse's Simple Sour Mash (UJSSM), or a sweet feed to start with. That will give you some practice runs and more time to read up on all grain mashing.
Go slow. You cant hurry what is meant to be worthy of the chase.
Read my intro in the welcome center.
Ga Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Welcome from just across big muddy.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

Welcome OkieRebel from another okie,
Have fond childhood memories of Drumright, Ok and playing cowboys and injuns with rubber innertube guns around the oil rigs.
Double ++ on what ga flatwoods said. Knowing what I know now, I would in no way start with an AG (all grain mash). Some experience under your belt with a sugar head wash as suggested such as UJSSM in tried and true makes a lot of sense. You won't be dissappointed and can proceed from there. Just my .02 cents. And don't worry......all the "dumb" questions have pretty much been answered. It just takes some smarts to find them.
Enjoy the journey
kekedog13
Bootlegger

Post by kekedog13 »

Another Okie here , Closer to the panhandle though. I'd steer ya towards the liquid enzymes. They are the shit ! Look up enzymash. Great product and price .The smallest bottle will convert a whole lot of corn.Good tutorials too.
Yahoo Mountain Dew ! It'll Tickle You're Innards !
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Welcome OkieRebel
I don't have much to add to what the others said, the threads they mention to help get you started are the first 2 links in my signature. I grew up in the country in eastern(ish) Oklahoma and think you might give some brandy a try, your not that far from the first frost and there should be plenty of persimmons around. Like they said, start with a tried and true for whiskey or whiskeyish and spend plenty of time reading on here.