First time brewer

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

whyrde
Novice

First time brewer

Post by whyrde »

Just found this (VERY informative) site and am in the process of educating myself.I have never tried making alcohol in the past but have a affinity for whiskey. Eventually I would like to get to the point of being able to make a %100 rye whiskey but I'm getting ahead of myself. I started looking into this very rewarding hobby about 3 weeks ago. I have since built a 5 gallon SS pot still, a 2 gallon thumper and a 5/8" copper worm approx 12' submersed. Made my first mash from a recipe I came across on another site made from corn syrup, sugar, yeast no other nutrients were present. The mash worked and my first attempt yielded about 40oz hearts. I was disappointed by taste and production. A lot of time spent at this point to get such a small amount although very "strong" it had a flavor I didn't care for seemed almost sweet.

Second attempt was birdwatchers and the difference was simply astounding (thanks for sharing BTW). I followed the directions as closely as possible for the mash and it had 2-3' frothing bubbles on it within a few hours! Got my hands on a hydrometer so I could measure SG and started at 1.065 finished at approx .995. I used tails from corn crap to charge thumper and heated more gradually then first attempt and what came outta my little still AMAZED me. Tasted great produced 70oz of hearts 40oz tails - does that seem questionable to anyone? No idea what percentage the likker came out at but if you light it up it burns pure blue and there is little to no liquid left when burn complete and it feels like molten lava to do shots (3-4 of em is enough to near put me down lol) so assuming it's %60 or more.

I'm currently working my way through the newbie guides ect on this site and would like to says thanks to everyone who took the time to make all this great info easily accessible and understandable.

Time to go check my mash...... :thumbup:
Bushman
Admin

Re: First time brewer

Post by Bushman »

Welcome to HD, sounds like you are doing everything right! Do you have any pictures of your still to share? As for making rye whiskey I really like the results I have gotten using Jimbo's single malt recipe, changing the amounts to fit my fermenters and substituting the barley for rye. Good luck and let us know how it works.
whyrde
Novice

Post by whyrde »

I'll post pics in a day or two when I do my next run, I break down and store my rig between runs.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Don't drink molten lava. It can burn your insides.

Make sure your liquor is less than 50% when you drink it. 45% is s good mark if your looking for a safe level with a little more kick to it.

Did you make a heads cut? I saw your tail cut, but didn't see a fores or heads cut.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
whyrde
Novice

Post by whyrde »

took off approx 4oz of heads and started my wood burner with it, also should mention I tossed the next 8oz in with my tales at end of run to charge thumper with next time.
whyrde
Novice

Post by whyrde »

low buck but it works
low buck but it works
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Welcome to HD!
Hopefully your thumper is made correctly, if you could elaborate.
Also, wonderin about the seal material.
Hopefully your not collecting nothin in Plastic?
Enjoy the site, forums, and journey.
Good luck, be safe, keep postn.
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
whyrde
Novice

Post by whyrde »

thumper: sealed with flour paste only. Larger copper pipe goes to approx 1" from bottom of thumper and is perforated for the last inch. the fitting on the condenser side is coated in silver solder on the inside and is flush with the lid internally. I use glass to collect from condenser... the measuring cup is in place when collecting the "foreshot", if I'm using the correct term... If not cut me some slack new at this.
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Your alright ...You are new and thus basis for the questions ...I don't discriminate.
Fores will eat thru the plastics in time ..I put mine in a reused pickle jar ..Its excellent charcoal starter and firestarter..It creates a super hot fire.
I've also mixed it with diesel fuel to knock out the most stubborn weeds.
As a side note ..Check out my new CD, its called 'Slackcutter'.. :D
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Welcome to the forum, whyrde, sounds like you're off and runnin'.
Ya done good finding the Tried & True section, the recipes there will serve you well, as you've already discovered.

A few things:
Please get a better, more stable support for your thumper! That thing looks like a tiny bump would set your whole rig tumbling to the floor.

When collecting, use small jars, maybe 1/2 pint, or even 1/4 pint. That way you can start to develop a sense for cuts. Sounds like you might be including too much heads right now?

Don't drink your spirits before getting a Proof & Traile alcoholmeter to proof your spirits. They could easily be over 60% and that is bad bad bad for your health.

You are allowed slack as a noob, but as you progress keep us posted about your experience in the appropriate thread topics. That way folks here can help you move in the right direction, and safely.

Good luck with your journey to 100% Rye, it will be worth the effort, and you will find everything you need to succeed right here.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
whyrde
Novice

Post by whyrde »

I appreciate the advice and I'll keep ya posted on progress. Only a few weeks in and I'm looking for a suitable keg......