Introduction

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

cgallamo
Novice

Introduction

Post by cgallamo »

Hi all,

I am new to distilling. I have been on this site several times trying to learn. I have made beer in the past, but mostly focused on wine making for the last 10 years. My palate has finally adapted to the point where I can taste the flavors in whiskey and really enjoy it. So curiosity got to me and I want to be able to make some that is drinkable - maybe even good!

I am in the process of determining the equipment I will need etc. Looking at a simple pot still for making whiskey and grappa. Also looking at all grain brewing equipment.

Looking forward to learning with you!
Chris
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Introduction

Post by Still Life »

The chances of making a good whiskey are great. The chances of making a great whiskey are good.
We have a Tried & True section (on main page) where proven recipes are listed.
A simple pot still is indeed all you need to make whiskey. They're easy to learn and run.

Have fun. Lots of good people here.
Welcome!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I can't improve on what Still Life said . Welcome :wave:
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

+1

Welcome!
cgallamo
Novice

Post by cgallamo »

Hi all,

Thanks so much for the welcome and advice. I'm going through that tried and true section now. I'm overwhelmed by the options at the moment, but that is half the fun... Simple pot still, glad you all think that is easy!

Chris
DBCFlash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DBCFlash »

Birdwatchers and Uncle Jessies simple sour mash are great places to start. Find them in the Tried and true section.
Some men you jest cain't reach...
hamshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hamshine »

if you do make a simple potstill may I sugest going 10 to 15 gallons just to make cuts easier. When your fractions are bigger more margin for air is available. Also you get a bigger heart cut.... so thats nice
ETOH.... yes plz
cgallamo
Novice

Post by cgallamo »

Thanks again for the suggestions. @DBCFlash - I looked at those sour mash recipes - looks like a good place to start. @ hamshine - that is great info! and I forgot to mention I have a pot (milk can). Got it on craigslist a couple years ago when I bought a couple grow lamps ;) It is 26GAL I think. with a cap that clamps on and narrows down to 2in. So I was investigating the 2in copper vs SS "tower" today... Looks like I can get SS for around $150 or go to $300 and get copper. Or build one for less. Just would clamp on.

The largest pot I have is 7GAL that I used for making cheese. So I think I need something larger (BAP) and a burner so I can boil outside the basement and not in the kitchen. Any pot suggestions? Does anyone build a fire to boil?

So back to that sour mash recipe. Do you think it is too much to bite off to start with 4X batch of uncle jessie's? Or would you just do a smaller batch in that big milk can.