Comin' at you from Ottawa Ontario!

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

YARBLES
Novice

Comin' at you from Ottawa Ontario!

Post by YARBLES »

Yarbles here, love what you have all done with the place. Super amateur distiller here, only 1 pot still run under my belt and 2 cleaning runs (Vinegar and then hard liquor). Couldn't have done it without your resources and pooled knowledge. Everything pointed to investing in a reflux variation... but I went cheap and old school for my first still and once I gain enough experience, then build a modular still some day. Purchased a 5 gallon stove top type still, but converted it to electric (water heater element) with an SRC controller. Then realized I still need an induction plate to get the temperatures dialed in right haha. Every step of the way has been interesting and a great learning experience!

Even with very conservative cuts on my first run, I decided to add some of the first tails to my final first blend and I'm glad I did. (I have a big nose so picking up on off scents comes naturally) Flavour is amazing!
My first ferment was about 27 lbs of apples liquefied then shot for a 1.075 SG. Dady, etc, etc. Was really happy with the results. So far adding some ice tea extract is my favourite, tastes like delicious tequila!

2nd and 3rd new ferments on the go! Take that LCBO! If you live in Ontario then you know what I mean! :wave:

Cheers team.
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Comin' at you from Ottawa Ontario!

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

Welcome yarbles.
Glad to see your on your way.
Welcome to hd and be safe
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Hey Yarbles, Welcome from the GTA.

Sounds like you're off to a great start! Glad to have you aboard. Post us up a pic of your setup once you get settled.

Have fun, play safe!

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by YARBLES »

Thanks guys, yes safety has been a huge thing for me the whole time, probably why it took me so long to delve into the art! My setup is sad lol, it's a prefab. I plan to modify it in the future as I get a better handle of it. It's this model:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... L1500_.jpg
It's about as well built as I expected. Meh. haha. Using a small water pump to feed the condenser and it's working well. Pulled about 3/4 a gallon off a 5 gallon mash, but only kept 2 litres for drinking purposes.

Would be great in the future to meet up with some local people and talk shop and have a few drinks! I mean, once covid is less of an issue...
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Welcome.. from a fellow canuck about 8 hrs west of you in northern ontario..

There's a few members in Ottawa that I'm aware of..

Rrmuf and cerevisiae you may want to PM them and see if you guys can get together..

Enjoy the journey of the rabbit hole

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Another Ottawan joined just a month or so ago. I lived there 35 years ago and worked at the Royal Oak on Bank St.. Welcome and have fun!
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Welcome!
Power_Man
Novice

Post by Power_Man »

Welcome to the forums!

I’m from Belleville, in between GTA and Ottawa.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Hey Yarbbles, Welcome! I am also from Ottawa.
Lots of experience in this forum! Have fun!
-- Rrmuf
YARBLES
Novice

Post by YARBLES »

Great, interesting to see a lot of Canadian folk on here. Yes, I'm glad there are people that have already tried so many things and have done a lot of the testing for me so to speak. Knowledge is power of course. Looking forward to fermenting a bunch of different yeasts and finding/streamlining my preferred method.

Cheers team
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

YARBLES wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:22 pm Great, interesting to see a lot of Canadian folk on here. Yes, I'm glad there are people that have already tried so many things and have done a lot of the testing for me so to speak. Knowledge is power of course. Looking forward to fermenting a bunch of different yeasts and finding/streamlining my preferred method.

Cheers team
Just so you're aware, Ottawa has one of the only coopers in Ontario (technically he's in Carp, but its practically a suburb). He's a good guy to know about when you reach that level. Has decent prices on used barrels.

Cross flow condenser

Post by Rrmuf »

Expat wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:58 pm
YARBLES wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:22 pm Great, interesting to see a lot of Canadian folk on here. Yes, I'm glad there are people that have already tried so many things and have done a lot of the testing for me so to speak. Knowledge is power of course. Looking forward to fermenting a bunch of different yeasts and finding/streamlining my preferred method.

Cheers team
Just so you're aware, Ottawa has one of the only coopers in Ontario (technically he's in Carp, but its practically a suburb). He's a good guy to know about when you reach that level. Has decent prices on used barrels.
THAT is good to know. Right in my 'hood at that! THANKS. Do you know his business name / contact?
-- Rrmuf
Windswept
Swill Maker

Post by Windswept »

He's a great guy, I've bought a used barrel from him and have plans for more.

https://thecountycooperage.ca/
If I didn't learn the hard way, I wouldn't learn at all!
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Windswept wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:22 am He's a great guy, I've bought a used barrel from him and have plans for more.

THANKS!
-- Rrmuf
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Rrmuf wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:59 am
Windswept wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:22 am He's a great guy, I've bought a used barrel from him and have plans for more.

THANKS!
+1 to what Windswept said, I've purchased 2 barrels from him :-)

Cross flow condenser

Post by Windswept »

Ontario folks, anyone bought from Knud Peterson before?
YARBLES
Novice

Post by YARBLES »

Expat wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:46 am
Rrmuf wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:59 am

THANKS!
+1 to what Windswept said, I've purchased 2 barrels from him :-)
No, thank you both haha. That's awesome to know. Thanks a lot seriously!
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Windswept wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:25 am Ontario folks, anyone bought from Knud Peterson before?
I have not.
-- Rrmuf
Windswept
Swill Maker

Post by Windswept »

Sorry to hijack, I just got two of his barrels, ex makers mark, recently dumped, 100$ each. Very happy. he advertises on the facebook buy and sell
YARBLES
Novice

Post by YARBLES »

Windswept wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:46 am Sorry to hijack, I just got two of his barrels, ex makers mark, recently dumped, 100$ each. Very happy. he advertises on the facebook buy and sell
No worries, all relevant information. I'm not at that level yet, still messing around with experimental recipes to get a flavour I like. Look forward to be able to hit that milestone though!
Thanks for the heads up.