Greetings, Earthlings!

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bumblingblockhead
Site Donor
Site Donor

Greetings, Earthlings!

Post by Bumblingblockhead »

I have arrived! After months of reading, I finally joined, and would like to thank all the knowledgeable people out there. I have learned a lot, and continue to learn more after every visit!
My rig is a 10 gallon Georgia Ridge, and a gooseneck head too. Built by the Colonel. I bought it off a guy on Fleabay who hadn't used it. Let me say that the CoIonel does NOT disappoint. He builds one hell of a rig, built tough, and has been very helpful giving me advise.
I have done 3 runs so far. Screwed up the 1st one. 2nd was real good. 3rd one was damn near top shelf. All with the gooseneck head. Whackin out 140 proof. The only plastic I use in my process is my fermentation buckets. After that, only copper, glass, and wood touches my juice. And I use dough seal only. 2nd and 3rd batch was filtered with sugar maple charcoal, then aged with various levels of toasted and charred sugar maple pieces for a week. Then aired out for 2 days. 3rd one was a crazy recipe I made up off the top of my head, and yielded 2 gallons 140 proof off of 8-9 gallons mash, single run. I threw away about 100ml of foreshots, and collected till it wouldn't light on fire. the rest was tails, but I shut it down. I don't separate the heads from the heart at this time. It took me 14 hours to do this run, :( but the end result was the talk of the town. 8)
Medenagan
Novice

Re: Greetings, Earthlings!

Post by Medenagan »

Welcome to the forums, BBH.

Sounds great - what've you been making?
Bumblingblockhead
Site Donor
Site Donor

What I made

Medenagan, The first 2 runs were Deathwish Wheatgerm, which is a recipe I got here on the forum. The 3rd one, which was the best, and highest yield, well, we'll call it The Mixed Batch.
It was 10 gallons water, 28 pounds raw sugar, 6.5 pounds canned corn, 2 pounds wheatgerm, and one 12-16 ounce jar barleymalt extract. Here's how it went:
Rinse corn, and blend in blender with some water, and then dump this into 5-10 gallon stockpot. Fill pot to 5 gallons total, add wheatgerm, and bring to a boil. Turn it down to a good simmer for an hour and a half, stirring now and then. Turn off heat, dump in barleymalt extract and sugar, and stir well until all sugar is dissolved. Get 2 food-grade 6.5 gallon buckets, and fill each one with 2.5 gallons of cold water, then top them off with the hot mash. Let cool to proper temperature, and stir in one packet of still spirits turbo classic in each bucket. This stuff goes off like hell, watch your airlocks! I let it go for 5 days, but was done in 3 i believe. Skim, rack, and distill. Next time no turbo, and no canned corn. We'll see what happens. This is the one that got me 2 gallons of 140 proof from 1 run, from a 8-9 gallon charge. Then filtered with the sugar maple charcoal, aged with the sugar maple pieces, then aired out 2 days with a coffee filter over the top of the bottle. Then I cut it back to 110 proof and it was great. If you cut it back to 80 proof it was smoother than silk.
Bumblingblockhead
Site Donor
Site Donor

*correction: 4 lbs wheatgerm
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

Welcome Bumblingblockhead, Sounds like you have a great start on things ... just don't let to much of the town start talking .. :D any pics of the rig by chance ?
Bumblingblockhead
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Pics

Hey New Shiner, Pics are about to be posted in the My First Section in about 5 min.
Bumblingblockhead
Site Donor
Site Donor

And I exaggerated when I said talk of the town. What I really meant was talk of my close friends that are boozers like the rest of us.