Hello All!

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

tcsm
Novice

Hello All!

Post by tcsm »

I'm Jim. from Orlando Fl. What a great site this is. I had no idea how to get into the hobby two days ago and now I've got a big head start.
I really enjoy a good bourbon on the rocks, and got the idea to try to make my own after reading a great article in the June/July issue of Garden and Gun magazine. I haven't decided on equipment yet, i have seen the Colonel's stills, nice! i have also read here that the alembic might be a good choice for a beginner.

Anyway looking forward to sharing my learning process with you. Jim.
blind drunk
retired

Re: Hello All!

Post by blind drunk »

Hey Jim, welcome to the board. I'll have to look up that article you mentioned - hopefully it's online. Cheers, bd.

edit - here it is - http://gardenandgun.com/article/moonshine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I do all my own stunts
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Welcome.
I'd recon either would be a really fine choice.

Larry
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

Welcome aboard, why not consider making your own still? its not difficult and its very satisfying when you can produce hooch with your own build. There is plenty of advise and ideas on this forum.
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

NIce article.
Singing to the choir though.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
tcsm
Novice

Post by tcsm »

olddog wrote:Welcome aboard, why not consider making your own still? its not difficult and its very satisfying when you can produce hooch with your own build. There is plenty of advise and ideas on this forum.
Thanks to all for the welcome..

Olddog, I have a serious WAF to consider here... I live in little gated sub in orlando (no basement :( ) with a smallish back porch on which to do my "exoeriments". I'd like to have a rig that could double as an art/conversation piece when idle... And i'm no coppersmith... I have seen some of the groups homemade rigs and while I can see the beauty in all, I fear my wife cannot...

But like many here I'm sure, after getting into it with a smallish 10 gallon unit, I will probably be upgrading down the road... :ewink:
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

A 10 gallon rig might be big enough to get you by for quite some time, but I wouldn't consider having it sitting around as a conversation piece as you'd just be asking for trouble... You just never know when one of the neighbors, or one of their guests, is going to have lingering ties to law enforcement, or has a bug up their ass, and gets the urge to "do the right thing"...