Kia Ora from New Zealand

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

YoungNZ
Novice

Kia Ora from New Zealand

Post by YoungNZ »

Hi all. My name is Beau. 22 years old from Auckland New Zealand.

Doing abit of research about home distilling and no better forum to join other than this one to learn from and make some mates on the way. I have done a little bit of reading and watching videos, but before I head out and buy a still I'll be lurking around to read up more particularly on the health side of things and knowing whats good to drink and whats not. That is my biggest fear at the moment but with the awesome info from our master distillers here I'm sure we can sort that out.

Cheers.
kiwistiller
retired

Re: Kia Ora from New Zealand

Post by kiwistiller »

YoungNZ wrote:...but before I head out and buy a still...
Don't do it! If you have any skill with your hands whatsoever you can build better (for cheaper) than the brew shops can sell you. Or, if like me you are rubbish with tools, there may be distillers around who can help you / may sell you a homemade unit.

Oh, welcome along. :D
Three sheets to the wind!
My stuff
YoungNZ
Novice

Post by YoungNZ »

kiwistiller wrote:
YoungNZ wrote:...but before I head out and buy a still...
Don't do it! If you have any skill with your hands whatsoever you can build better (for cheaper) than the brew shops can sell you. Or, if like me you are rubbish with tools, there may be distillers around who can help you / may sell you a homemade unit.

Oh, welcome along. :D
Hey kiwi...would love to build one! I've looked at some designs for reflux columns but they seem to persuade me into just buying one even though they are a little pricey. I was looking at a duplast reflux still on trade me got in touch with the guy as he knows abit so I hope he can help me out in the future. Thanks mate.
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

you mean one of those stills with highly questionable safety and poor performance?

...opinionated much? Perhaps. But you can do better. If you want to buy a crap still on trademe why don't you buy my essencia? :) It's better than the duplast at least :lol:

No, seriously, if you are smart enough to sign up here and start asking questions, you deserve better. Don't buy either. I cannot emphasise strongly enough that you should pick a pot still or a VM (actually, pretty much anything) over that design. Even if you ignore the dubious construction materiels (mmmm endocrine disrupters), and you shouldn't, it is a CM (cooling management), the hardest and most fiddly still to run well. There is a reason you can't even buy that still in a brew shop anymore.
My stuff
YoungNZ
Novice

Post by YoungNZ »

Yeah you are right! I was trying to look for a shop that sell them but no go...hmm good thing I joined here I was seriously going to buy that Duplast still. Thanks for that kiwi. After reading your guide for cuts I was starting to realize that I should lean towards getting a pot still.
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

Potstills: Easier build, goood for any flavoured spirit, whisky, bourbon, gin, etc :ebiggrin:
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

olddog wrote:Potstills: Easier build, goood for any flavoured spirit, whisky, bourbon, gin, etc :ebiggrin:
Not for gin, strictly speaking that needs a clean neutral to start with, which you can only get from a proper reflux column. But whisky, rum, brandy, tequila, etc, are all made entirely with a pot still of some sort.

If you make the pot column tall, say 600-1000 mm (2-3'), then by varying the amount of packing and column insulation, you can do most spirit types, including making a very light, almost neutral, spirit by triple stilling a clean sugar wash through a fully packed column. Though you will never get a proper neutral spirit from it.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

What sort of things are you wanting to drink/make Young? We can probably be of a bit more help if we know where you're aiming.
My stuff
Ayay
Distiller

Post by Ayay »

He he, you're on the right track!

Pot stillin is a black art well worth learning. LM or VM Reflux will get you some good neutral with character depending on the wash.

Brewshops are after your money and the 'Suggested' product is the money-bait.
cornflakes...stripped and refluxed
YoungNZ
Novice

Post by YoungNZ »

kiwistiller wrote:What sort of things are you wanting to drink/make Young? We can probably be of a bit more help if we know where you're aiming.
My partner is into vodka mixes...I'll be sure to try make some bourbon for myself. Would these types of drinks depend on my wash recipe or can I make em out of a simple sugar+yeast wash?? Thanks guys I'd be lost without your help much appreciated.
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

You usually make vodka in a reflux still, and bourbon in a potstill. Yet bourbon can be made in a reflux still by removing the packing and running in potstill mode, and you can make vodka or neutral in a potstill by triple distilling. Neither alternative is perfect for everything but they will both make a acceptable drink.
Look in the tried and true recipes in the main menu, "Wineos sugar wash will start you with a neutral spirit, and UJSSM although not a true bourbon is a good start for a bourbon style drink.
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......