hello all

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

irishmike
Novice

hello all

Post by irishmike »

hello all, this is a wonderful resource for those of us know nothing new comers! i am interested in starting this new hobby as soon as i can and have perhaps half of the materials needed to start building. i am going to try a still with interchangable heads so that i may use it as a pot still for whisky and a fractioning still for higher %'s (im interested in making absinthe). im sure i will spend much time here combing over all of the shared knowledge by you masters. i will try to find my own answers before i bother others with questions but i have two already.
1- does anyone know where one could buy an empty keg or other suitable SS container to use as a boiler in the virginia tidewater area? i have been hitting local yard sales and nothing yet. i was thinking of buying a full keg and letting the store keep the deposit but ive read here that this is not really ethical.
2-ive been looking at pix of reflux designs and cant find any explanation for the cooling water flowing into and out of the column after it leaves the condenser. any explinations to this newbe would be greatly appreciated.

thanks all, m.
she keeps telling me: "I don't care if you pee in the shower, but you have to be taking a shower!"
plonker
Swill Maker

Re: hello all

Post by plonker »

welcome irishmike, lots of good info here!!