NW Noob

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

coastalsteelheader
Novice

NW Noob

Post by coastalsteelheader »

Howdy! I'm TC aka Coastalsteelheader

I'm new to brewing, in fact I haven't brewed anything more than coffee and tea yet. I came here because I figured I'd rather learn from people who know what they are doing, than end up being played by the first sales guy who sees a live one coming.

My plans are to start with beer, and once my skills increase then try making whiskey. I hope to learn what are the best beer kits to buy, and what stills to build.

I hope to meet you all on the boards and gain from any knowledge you want to share!
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: NW Noob

Post by WalkingWolf »

Welcome to the forum

Guess you got tired of your old hobby so you'd try something new. That avatar; Is that a regional preference or is that just your own personal preference?? :esurprised:

ww
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kentucky shinner »

welcome aboard, I think you will find all the information you will ever need to make likker. Read much then ask what you dont understand and you will do just fine.
KS
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

Welcome aboard, It's always good to have another web foot on the forum.

Making distilled alcohol is easier and cheeper then making beer in my opinion. if I where you I would start with distilling and then move to beer. That's the way I did it.

This forum has a beer section and we have some very knowledgeable members on the subject of beer, but if it's beer you want try homebrewtalk.com and get this book http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Homebrew ... 0060531053" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

How does one catch a steelhead? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
coastalsteelheader
Novice

WalkingWolf wrote:Welcome to the forum

Guess you got tired of your old hobby so you'd try something new. That avatar; Is that a regional preference or is that just your own personal preference?? :esurprised:

ww

It was the only pic I had that fit the size limits. :D
coastalsteelheader
Novice

rubber duck wrote: How does one catch a steelhead? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Spinners, spoons, floats and maribou jigs. If that doesn't work a sand shrimp tail or small cluster of salmon roe works excellent
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

Thats the New Zealand flag you are using for your avitar. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Welcome coastalsteelheader

od
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

Don't mind the Aussies, mate, they're just jealous because they copied our real flag. The bastards steal all our stuff.
Three sheets to the wind!
My stuff
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

hahahahahahah OD and kiwi

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

it's on the montana state seal too :esurprised: cob
be water my friend
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

coastalsteelheader wrote:

Spinners, spoons, floats and maribou jigs. If that doesn't work a sand shrimp tail or small cluster of salmon roe works excellent

I've never caught one legitimately. When I was a kid I would foul hook them but apparently that doesn't fly in California, $400 dollar ticket for that indiscretion.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
coastalsteelheader
Novice

rubber duck wrote:
coastalsteelheader wrote:

I've never caught one legitimately. When I was a kid I would foul hook them but apparently that doesn't fly in California, $400 dollar ticket for that indiscretion.

They taste great fair or foul hooked!
Ps I wanted to compliment you on your choice of avatar and name. Convoy is one of my favs.
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Welcome to the HD boards CSH, your gonna love it...
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

The name comes from a combination of the movie and the fact that I have unhealthy obsession with collecting rubber ducks, I have a RD Navy. :) :)
anuran
Novice

Post by anuran »

Welcome Webfoot!