Hello everyone

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Serenity
Novice

Hello everyone

Post by Serenity »

Yet another noobie just joined, always looking for information and experience from those of you who have the generosity and time to share.

I started home brewing when I was a kid, making awfull tasting yeasty beer from kits, then branched out into barley wines which I tried stilling when I was still in my teens. Of course, you couldnt ask anyone how it was done and the internet hadnt been invented.

So, my first 'still' was a 4 pint kettle with a cork bung in the spout, a length of quarter inch glass tube, bent in a spiral over a gas flame and threaded through a sawn off plastic soda bottle with glue sealing the holes and placed in the sink under the cold tap. The kettle boiled and I collected the half glass of foul smelling liquid. It tasted disgusting. :sick: :sick:

I knew something was wrong so I headed to the library and found an encyclopedia which explained the complexities of distilling. Sadly ive never tried it since but did leave a bottle of cider in the fridge freezer once and was pleased with the result.

Since those early daze, I have brewed many hundreds of gallons of beer cider and wine.

Now its time to move on up and make some good spirits. So, ive been reading all over the net for a few weeks and realised the wealth of knowledge out there but dont get the impression there is much activity in the UK.

I certainly havent seen stills for sale but at the prices advertised on the net, Im sure im going to make my own cos even though im a girlie, ive spent 4 years working as a heating and plumbing engineer, so how hard can it be?
Actually, finding materials is hard and expensive here. I can get 2'' copper tube but only in a 3mt length. Burco boilers are very popular so used ones dont come up for sale. New ones are expensive.

Good news is ive got a stash of sugar ready and was about to order some turbo yeast until I read the post saying how crap it is.

So guys, where would you advise I go from here? :D
LWTCS
Site Mod

Re: Hello everyone

Post by LWTCS »

Whats yer favorite kind of drop?

If vodka/neutral,,,plan on collecting bits for a column still.

If rums/whiskies,,,plan on collecting bits for a pot still.

Head over to the plans and diagrams thread in the "theory" module and see whats what.

Then head over to the "tried and true" module and find the all bran recipe....

Good luck Miss Serenity
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
hackware
Swill Maker

Post by hackware »

So guys, where would you advise I go from here? :D
ever been to mississippi...?

sound like my kinda woman... :)
tell me how hard it is to do... tell me how expensive it will be... just don't tell me what i can not do...

lead, follow, or get out of the way... ankle biters will be kicked...

•*´¯)¸.•*´¯)¤ª"˜¨¯¯¨˜"william..."˜¨¯¯¨˜"ª¤(¯`*•.¸(¯`*•
Serenity
Novice

Post by Serenity »

Thanks for the welcome guys.

I guess my boat would come in handy in Mississippi?
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

So, ive been reading all over the net for a few weeks and realised the wealth of knowledge out there but dont get the impression there is much activity in the UK.
We got quite a few folks from the UK on HD. You'll discover who they are in time. Welcome aboard.
I do all my own stunts
Serenity
Novice

Post by Serenity »

There seems to be more interest in growing dope in this country. Maybe the highlighted dangers of running a still are too much for most? If you dont blow yourself up, you will probably go blind, or so they think.

There was an explosion in a factory unit last week. 4 guys killed and one still in hospital with 70% burns. All east europeans, and working in a small factory unit with all doors and windows closed up for security, although, as it said on the news, everyone knew they were stilling because of the strange hours they were working and the truck loads of supplies like bottles which were delivered.

The police had also been busy in the area busting shops for selling bootleg liquor branded with counterfeit labels of top brands.

Sounds like these guys were asking for trouble. Maybe im being paranoid now but I guess if I go to my plumbing supplies and ask for a length of 54mm tube, they will know there is only one use for tube that size. Its certainly not a popular domestic requirement, and commercial users would either buy in larger quantities or buy direct.

Im even kidding my guilty conscience that my large purchase of sugar is for jam making. :mrgreen:
hackware
Swill Maker

Post by hackware »

unless ya add poison, or use a nasty still, won't be anything to make ya go blind...

simple stills operated with practical safety won't explode on ya either...

(lotz of idiots would of killed themselves off by now otherwise...)

the very fact that such an accident killed a few people and made world news shows how rare such an event is...

use art as the excuse for odd sizes of pipe, peeps make art out of anything...

good luck...

ps. don't mind the shaggy dogs ya find here, they all just pant a bit...
tell me how hard it is to do... tell me how expensive it will be... just don't tell me what i can not do...

lead, follow, or get out of the way... ankle biters will be kicked...

•*´¯)¸.•*´¯)¤ª"˜¨¯¯¨˜"william..."˜¨¯¯¨˜"ª¤(¯`*•.¸(¯`*•
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Welcome to the forum, that was a nice introduction. As LWTCS suggests figure out what you like to drink and start in those areas of reading. Also the beginners reading lounge will cover the safety issues. We have some great designs for building here and also the recipes in the Tried & True section are a great way to start and have success. :D
Serenity
Novice

Post by Serenity »

Peach and apple schnapps
Gin
Vodka
Brandy

Erm, ......easier if I said alcohol I guess. For now I just want neutral spirits I can add flavours to. With fall on the way and living on a farm, theres lots of hedgerow fruits available.

Just chatted to my sister and shes sure she can get me an electrical boiler for next week. 30 litre baby Burco with separate element for easier cleaning. Its uninsulated but that wont be a problem to fix.

Im thinking of the Boka with a 50'' stack and coil above.

Is Bakers yeast realy going to do the business in 5 days? I thought it died when the ABV reached 10-12%. Or is turbo too temperature sensitive and makes nasties when put under pressure to perform?
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Greetings, Serenity...

Glad to hear that you're planning on building rather than buying... It's an enjoyable experience for those not afraid to get their hands dirty... We have several other "girlie's" here as well so you're definitely not alone here...

Skip the turbo yeast and go for one of the simple Tried and True recipes... Several of them perform as well as or better than turbos, all things considered...

Good luck and stay safe...
yankeeclear
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yankeeclear »

Welcome to the forum. Have fun and stay safe!
“Half the lies they tell about me aren't true.”
-Yogi Berra
Serenity
Novice

Post by Serenity »

A bit of an update

Been away for 10 days fixing up a new bathroom at Moms but I scored a 50lt euro sankey barrel off brother. Last seen at my sisters 40th birthday 4 years ago, been lurking in the yard since and still has 20 ish lts of beer in it. :sick:

Need to drain it out and get scrubbing, so, ive read the thread re. removing the valve but this one doesnt have the retaining washer/circlip in the neck.

Should I just plunge in with a 2 inch hole saw or blow a hole with the plasma torch? :thumbup:

Ive got a bunch of sugar, bran flakes, dried active baking yeast and 5 x 5lt plastic bottles to do my first ferment in.
I still need a hydrometer, thermometer etc. Also airlocks? or can I make do with cotton tufts stuck in the bottle tops?

Getting the copper 54mm tube and fittings for the Column ordered tomorrow :think:
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

I thank this will git you there,,http://www.beer-recipe.org/EuroSanke.html
banter_king
Swill Maker

Post by banter_king »

Welcome Serenity. My airlocks are tubes sealed to the top of the fermenter and stuck into a glass of water. Works pretty good and makes it nice to hear to happy bubbling. :D
Knee deep in the cool and soothing waters of ol' Cripple Creek
frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

Post by frozenthunderbolt »

Serenity wrote:Peach and apple schnapps
Is Bakers yeast realy going to do the business in 5 days? I thought it died when the ABV reached 10-12%. Or is turbo too temperature sensitive and makes nasties when put under pressure to perform?
Heya Serenity,

Bakers yeast works fine for most things.
You realy dont want your wash to go any higher than bout 12% as beyound that it tends to stress the yeast and produce more cogeners and fusil oils. In this can be a good thing as it adds specific characteristics and flavours that are desireable there.
It may help to think of a still as a magnifying glass for flavours, that can also change them (chemical reactions can be catalysed to an extent in the process)
so most are really carefull not to acidentaly induce any unwanted flavours in their wash as then can be tricky to cut out later on and reduce the volume of the good stuff that you get.
Key things are temp, Ph, nutrients, and ABV - a quick (complete - not remaining sugars) wash is (generaly) a good wash.

Welcome and good luck. Plenty more much smarter than me who will be happy to help with any well considered, and well researched questions :D
Where has all the rum gone? . . .

Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Serenity
Novice

Post by Serenity »

Hi Banter king

There is a company based near Bristol who produce a cider called Cripple Cock. Maybe theres a hidden warning in the title.

Thanks guys for the advice, im just going to follow a middle path and see what happens. Tried and True is a good policy for more success.
banter_king
Swill Maker

Post by banter_king »

Serenity wrote:Hi Banter king

There is a company based near Bristol who produce a cider called Cripple Cock. Maybe theres a hidden warning in the title.

haha That doesn't really sound like something i really want to be drinking. I like my cock non-crippled thank you
Knee deep in the cool and soothing waters of ol' Cripple Creek
Serenity
Novice

Post by Serenity »

About 3 hours ago I started my first wash and its gone balistic.

Its a standard branflake design and currently at 26 deg c.

All the bran is at the top and its working like mad. Is this ok and normal?
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Serenity wrote:About 3 hours ago I started my first wash and its gone balistic.

Its a standard branflake design and currently at 26 deg c.

All the bran is at the top and its working like mad. Is this ok and normal?
Yes, having the All Bran rise to the top is normal... Did you crush it up or leave it whole...??? I crush the cereal quite fine now before measuring for the added nutrients as well as taste when pot stilling... It's a rapid start wash due to the amount of fortification with the vitamins and minerals that yeast need...
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Serenity wrote:Is this ok and normal?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Serenity
Novice

Post by Serenity »

I heated a pan of water and added the sugar which I stired for ages to disolve. I then added the crushed bran flakes, which was a mistake as they blocked up the bottle necks and I should have put them dry into the bottles and then added the sugar wash. Yeast went in once I was sure it wasnt too hot.

I was awoken to the familiar smell of brewing carbon dioxide. I have kept the bubbling bottles overnight in my shower tub as I expected armageddon, but they have been well behaved and not puked. :sick:

Overnight the temp dropped from 29/28c to around 21c at the moment with no visable decrease in activity. It is still neuclear!! The bran flakes which were in a wad at the bottle neck have now dispersed and settled to the bottom but bits do rise and fall with the bubbles.

I guess I shall now move the bottles to the sunny and rather warmer pilot house so I can take a shower. :oops:

I got all the copper tube for my column yesterday so Im going to start making the coil.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Serenity, your experience with the flakes building up in the necked fermenters is the reason I crush my flakes... I have had cereal flakes build in the neck and try puking out through the air lock before the cap dropped as yours has now done... The crushed flakes don't hold as much CO2 so the cap drops sooner... Whether crushing allows easier access to the nutrients or not is subject to debate... I boil my finely crushed flakes in a separate pot of water while my sugar is inverting in its own pot of water and either lemon juice, citric acid, or Creme of Tartar...

Keep us posted on your progress...
Serenity
Novice

Post by Serenity »

All I can say is WOW

Brewing yeast never worked like this bakers yeast is today. I have never seen such vigorous activity and its even more fun than watching fish in a tank cos I know each bubble is matched by alcohol.

I have done another bottle this morning and this time I smashed up th flakes in a blender yet they are now also risen to the top, ....meanwhile in the first batch the flakes seem to have dispesed and sunk to the bottom, so there is no risk of puking.

Ive also made up a gallon of ginger beer if for no other reason than Ive suddenly remembered the joy of brewing.

Just noticed Rad that you mentioned lemon, citric or tartar. Whats that all about? Should I have added some to the mix?

Im having a few probs trying to coil 6mm tube around a 16mm bar without it kinking.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Serenity wrote:Just noticed Rad that you mentioned lemon, citric or tartar. Whats that all about? Should I have added some to the mix?

Im having a few probs trying to coil 6mm tube around a 16mm bar without it kinking.
Somewhere around here I have a full description of how to make invert sugar... It essentially entails specific ratios of sugar to water combined with an acid and bringing the mixture to a simmering boil, not a rolling boil, until the mix turns a straw color... It takes roughly 45 minutes, give or take, to fully invert... Too little time and all you've done is thoroughly heated dissolved sugar water... Boil for too long and you're wasting energy or making syrup...

You're having coil winding issues because you are at or below the magic ratio of the mandrel diameter being a minimum of 3x the coil tubings diameter... In US measurements I can easily coil 1/4" around a 3/4" mandrel, but end up with minor flattening when winding 1/4" around a 5/8" mandrel... Your 16mm is about the same as 5/8" and 6mm is about the same as 1/4", so you'll have minor issues at best...

You have to become one with the copper... Winding slowly off the original coil of copper onto the mandrel works much better than straightening off the coil and then winding, potentially in another direction than the original coil... Winding slowing is another tip... Don't try to bend it around the mandrel, just add enough pressure to let it bend on its own and stop every 1/3 - 1/2 coil to let the copper cool as it builds heat and softens as it is worked and then kinks as you use the cooler section just off the mandrel as leverage... Anyone who thinks they can wind a coil from start to finish by manhandling (or womanhandling) the copper is just going to have repeated problems... Starting and stopping, and perhaps taking a break every few minutes, works far better in the long run... It's not a race, it's an art...
Serenity
Novice

Post by Serenity »

Hi Rad, thanks for your reply.

I hear what your saying and ive read the tutorial several times.

I also have a 16mm length of 316 bar which I clamped in a vice, to make it easier and started with the coil end at @45 deg to it and slowly formed around the bar. it seems that once I got past the 90 stage, the pipe flattened. I tried again at the other end of the coil and had the same problem.

The coil is still in its plastic bag, about 14'' dia and im not straightening out before re bending.

Im seriously wondering if I should enlist help, get the welding gloves on and preheat with my MAPP torch before stretching it round the mandrel?

The tube is 6mm x 0.6. Its a 10mt coil but it aint gonna last long :oops:
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

'Brewing yeast never worked like this bakers yeast is today. I have never seen such vigorous activity '

Is it possible you were using 'Brewer's' yeast, which is, I think, a dietary supplement, and is made up of DEAD yeast???

(As distinct from the many beer-making or distilling yeasts...)
The Baker
Serenity
Novice

Post by Serenity »

I dont think so Baker

I bought it in the baking section of my local store and it says on the tin

Allinson (long time baking firm) dried active yeast. Natural yeast for traditional hand baking. Not recommended for use in bread makers

Anyway, its damn good stuff
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Serenity wrote:I dont think so Baker

I bought it in the baking section of my local store and it says on the tin

Allinson (long time baking firm) dried active yeast. Natural yeast for traditional hand baking. Not recommended for use in bread makers

Anyway, its damn good stuff
No, I was talking about what you got before, that you called "brewing yeast"
Anyway I'm glad it's okay now.
The Baker
Serenity
Novice

Post by Serenity »

Oh I see, silly me

I havent brewed for 12 years but used to buy sachets of dedicated beer brewing yeast. I lived in a hop growing area, Herefordshire and was able to get large bags of hops free at any time in the season. Water was from my own well and malt was by the bucket full

I should have bought shares in tate and Lyle sugar. I was processing a 40 pint batch @ every 12 days and bottling in Grolsch flip tops. A lot of work washing up all those bottles but the beer quality was fantastic.

Then I had a midlife crisis, split up, moved house, had to let all the gear go as I didnt have room for it where I was going and now im buying it all over again. Grrrrrr. Even lost the beer recipie.

I simply *MUST* build this still. :evil:
Zedok
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Zedok »

Hi Serenity,
So have you built the still yet? I too am building a still here in the UK and reading your thread was very interesting as we are going thru similar processes (although I have no brewing experience). As far as winding the coil, I had no difficulty coiling a 6mm tube around a saddle post in my tack room. On the other hand, I have now discarded the 6mm coil and made another one with 8mm tube which fits well in my 3" diameter condenser. Same here regarding the Berco 3kw heating element which I now have to install (god knows how I am going to do this). May I suggest you consider looking at one of these that was posted elsewhere on the forum: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... OU:GB:1123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow ?
So I guess, I should have finished the still within ten days or so and then follow the guidelines outlines in the forum. We've pressed 1500kg of apples recently so lots of Calvados in the making but then again I have plenty of Sloes left in the freezer and making wiskey sounds really interesting. It's going to be an interesting winter. Please keep updating your post.
Cheers.