Hi from South Africa

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Rollercoaster639
Novice

Hi from South Africa

Post by Rollercoaster639 »

Hi guys, Looks like a good forum. I have a homemade adjustable reflux still which I tinker with every so often. Normall have to repair something before using it but it has some character. lol. I have / do manage to get 94% but always with something not quite right. Sometimes a bit of a "taste" and other time a bit of a "smell"

I am planning on buying a new 50l boiler and still, this is more for ease of operation than trying to fix the above faults.

But this is what makes it interesting hey. Anyhow good to be here.
pounsfos
Distiller

Re: Hi from South Africa

Post by pounsfos »

Welcome aboard

I always love seeing where everyone is from, south africa is a crazy place.

remember when making a still stainless steel or copper is the way to.

feel free to try soem of our recipes for a dam good sour mash or a neutral :)

Have fun
Rollercoaster639
Novice

Re: Hi from South Africa: Updated

Post by Rollercoaster639 »

Hi Guys. Just an update. I eventually managed to buy a new setup. Stainless steel 50l boiler with electric element installed. The column is 50mm copper with copper mesh. I have only had a chance to do two runs and achieved 90% without any effort. The person I bought it from had an inline charcoal filter installed which I have removed.
One both runs the end product tasted really terrible. A strong smell and also a sharp taste so its back to basics for me.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hi from South Africa: Updated

Post by Still Life »

Rollercoaster639 wrote:Hi Guys. Just an update. I eventually managed to buy a new setup. Stainless steel 50l boiler with electric element installed. The column is 50mm copper with copper mesh. I have only had a chance to do two runs and achieved 90% without any effort. The person I bought it from had an inline charcoal filter installed which I have removed.
One both runs the end product tasted really terrible. A strong smell and also a sharp taste so its back to basics for me.
There's no reason you should be producing bad stuff.
I'm concerned that you're not doing the required reading. And you didn't mention a cleaning/sacrificial run on the new still.
In the months I've been doing this, I've never made bad stuff and I'm far from a genius.
Carbon filter in the still? You're not using Turbo Yeast I hope...

I suggest some "Spoonfeeding" reading: http://ww.homedistiller.org/forum/viewt ... 15&t=52975
And when you've graduated from that, try a proven recipe from Tried & True on the main page.

No one here wants you to fail. But it's on you to succeed.
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hi from South Africa

Post by bilgriss »

What Still Life said.