New guy with a few questions.

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Red_90
Novice

New guy with a few questions.

Post by Red_90 »

Hello everyone, my room mate and I started this hobby to increase out knowledge, unfortunately he bought turbo yeast(before reading the reviews) so we ran with it and used it in a very basic sugar wash 8lbs of sugar, 1 teaspoon nutrients, and water to make it 5 gallons.

we distilled over half of it through a still and have only collected a little under 64 ounces using a pot still, when we decided to stop, the end of the run tasted a little off compared to the middle of the run,

we opened the pot and it was still mostly full. I was just hoping someone would clarify, do we just let it run until it starts tasting bad?(obviously it will taste off because of the turbo yeast) or run it until it stops producing from the wash?
Thanks for the help.

(We did let it air out in jars with coffee filters over the top overnight and it helped the flavor and smell quite a bit.)

Also the still huffs and distillate comes out in spurts not a continuous stream or drops, we're using 10' of 3/8" OD type L copper, is our line too small?
HDNB
Site Mod

Re: New guy with a few questions.

Post by HDNB »

hi and welcome.
you are asking some of the right questions...all the answers are here for the taking. start in the new distillers lounge as you are missing many key bits of information to run safely. you are going to get some good advice and you should take it. safety first. you should read for a while before running or drinking any of what you made.

send some pictures, tell us about the run, was it the first? how did you clean?

anyone else?
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Red_90
Novice

Post by Red_90 »

We ran it for the first time Saturday night, we cobbled together a still using a 16qt stainless steel stock pot, 10ft 3/8" copper and 5 gallon bucket for a condensor, we used flour paste to seal up the pot, we ended up on the first run with id guesstimate 80 proof(wouldn't light in a glass but would light on a plate.) which is drinkable, just tastes a little off on the back end of the flavor, and I'm afraid I'm drawing a blank on how he(my roommate) cleaned it.
calmbeforthestorm
Novice

Post by calmbeforthestorm »

Red_90 wrote:Hello everyone, my room mate and I started this hobby to increase out knowledge, unfortunately he bought turbo yeast(before reading the reviews) so we ran with it and used it in a very basic sugar wash 8lbs of sugar, 1 teaspoon nutrients, and water to make it 5 gallons.

we distilled over half of it through a still and have only collected a little under 64 ounces using a pot still, when we decided to stop, the end of the run tasted a little off compared to the middle of the run,

we opened the pot and it was still mostly full. I was just hoping someone would clarify, do we just let it run until it starts tasting bad?(obviously it will taste off because of the turbo yeast) or run it until it stops producing from the wash?
Thanks for the help.

(We did let it air out in jars with coffee filters over the top overnight and it helped the flavor and smell quite a bit.)

Also the still huffs and distillate comes out in spurts not a continuous stream or drops, we're using 10' of 3/8" OD type L copper, is our line too small?
One question is what was the Proof while running? and also how hot was your still?

I collect in 12 oz bottles or so at a time and test for Proof and taste along the way.. while your still runs the temp will rise and will start to POP or boil (LESS ABV WASH will start to boil faster and run hotter then an higher % wash) your mix into your condenser outlet. Not knowing what your Still looks like can only guess. the AVB on your wash also was not noted either... to estimate how much you should get is to know your proof/ABV before you start and how much was you have.... to give a idea 100 gallons of wash at 14% ABV should yield 14 Gallons of 100% .. (NO POSSABLE WAY TO GET) how ever at 14% wash at 50% out should yield about 28 gallons of 100 proof (This is possible) Normal pot still strip run or Brandy or Whiskey first run should yield about 130 to 110 proof for most of the run.... This is what I have seen every time I have run a normal pot still without any thumper or extra output. So based off your numbers of claimed product (Only estimated based off your numbers that you had shared) sounds like your wash was about 7% ABV that should yield about 1/g gallon of 110 proof or 55% or 5 Gallon of wash * .07 % ABV = .35 (Product) and with head and tails in loss should finish very close to your 64 fl oz you said you got.. So based off your statement of flavor.. Not sure about turbo yeast and flavor but I would say you may have had to much heat and got to many notes from the wash..
Out of the Carboy and into the fire, allow our personality to boil, all steamed up as we lay still, first our temper is exposed with the show of our hot head, calm our body with a steady mist we chill . Now lets finish this tail in the shine of the moon.
Red_90
Novice

Post by Red_90 »

7% ABV is about where it was and my pot was sitting at about 205* during the run, and like I said I let it air out overnight and the flavor and smell is much improved.
calmbeforthestorm
Novice

Red_90 wrote:7% ABV is about where it was and my pot was sitting at about 205* during the run, and like I said I let it air out overnight and the flavor and smell is much improved.
Now to take that and turn into aged whiskey..... :moresarcasm: Try taking some Oak strips A LOT... now make sure its clean wood and cut into strips about 1/4 in and the height of the inside of your bottle and put in your oven and toast it for a while getting the temp of the wood up there.. Get it nice and golden brown.

Now take a Torch and then Char the outside till its nice and black....

Now take and put it in your Jar and seal and allow to sit for about a week.. Longer you leave more it will age. and Change your Shine to Whiskey

I think it test and smell will much be improved in less then 3 days.. as it takes on a Golden color. I think it will start to taste close to CC (Canadian Club)
Out of the Carboy and into the fire, allow our personality to boil, all steamed up as we lay still, first our temper is exposed with the show of our hot head, calm our body with a steady mist we chill . Now lets finish this tail in the shine of the moon.
calmbeforthestorm
Novice

Red_90 wrote: Also the still huffs and distillate comes out in spurts not a continuous stream or drops, we're using 10' of 3/8" OD type L copper, is our line too small?

Also.. I think your need more copper to create your Condense to allow your vapors to cool more and get less drops or bursts of product.

When creating my first condense, I had used a 25 foot refrigerator Ice maker connection kit. even the small line will produce a good flow and nicely chilled when it comes out... I also use a water bath and not Ice... much cheaper this way. and can get a full run before needing to change out the bath. My first condenser was made by wrapping around a 1 gallon demijohn with 3/8 spacing and bridge silver soldered strap for about 8 wraps.

Anyway Hope this helps
Red_90
Novice

Post by Red_90 »

calmbeforthestorm wrote:
Red_90 wrote: Also the still huffs and distillate comes out in spurts not a continuous stream or drops, we're using 10' of 3/8" OD type L copper, is our line too small?

Also.. I think your need more copper to create your Condense to allow your vapors to cool more and get less drops or bursts of product.

When creating my first condense, I had used a 25 foot refrigerator Ice maker connection kit. even the small line will produce a good flow and nicely chilled when it comes out... I also use a water bath and not Ice... much cheaper this way. and can get a full run before needing to change out the bath. My first condenser was made by wrapping around a 1 gallon demijohn with 3/8 spacing and bridge silver soldered strap for about 8 wraps.

Anyway Hope this helps
I figured as much, it struck me as odd because the distillate comes out cool, but I'll experiment and see what works better as I go, we should be making another sugar mash using red star yeast instead of the turbo next weekend.
thatguy1313
Distiller

Post by thatguy1313 »

If the distillate is cool coming out all the way through the run then length is not an issue. I'm assuming youre using a worm type condenser? If so you probably have some low spots in the spiral where the distillate pools and then overflows, hence the inconsistent output. Slowly fill the worm bucket up with water (water is level) and you will see where the low spots are and be able to adjust so you have a continuous downhill spiral. Or if youre using ice in the worm bucket youre causing vapor collapse which will also cause surging. Just use water, if the water gets too hot you can add some ice or ice packs to cool the water but just straight ice is too cold. If that was the first run through the still I wouldnt drink it. Consider it your sacrificial cleaning run (required). My favorite recipes for pot stilling are UJSSM and fruit brandys. Try one of these from the tried and true section. I know you hear it all the time and it sucks because you get excited about doing something new but slow down and do some research. The more you read on here, the more knowledge you'll have and the better product you'll produce.
No, officer, I wasn't distilling alcohol! It was probably that guy!

Important information for new distillers
Red_90
Novice

Post by Red_90 »

Yeah it's a worm condensor, I'll take a look at the spiral when I get home.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Greetings, Red_90...

If you used an ice maker kit you have 1/4" copper which is too small for a safe and effective worm... Using ice causes shock cooling... And it probably wouldn't hurt to slow down and do some serious research now that you're here...

Good luck, stay safe, and enjoy the journey...
thatguy1313
Distiller

Post by thatguy1313 »

Nah he said it was 3/8. I'd still feel better with 1/2 but you should be ok with 3/8. Agree on the research. Doesnt sound like theres anything outright wrong with your setup. Just need to get a good wash and learn how to run it. I know reading is probably the last thing you wanna do but there is so much knowledge and information here, why wouldnt you take advantage of it. Learn from everyone else's mistakes and you won't follow suite.

Bad Dog
Novice

Post by Bad Dog »

What HDB said "you should read for a while before running or drinking any of what you made." (especially the drinking part!) I don"t know if I missed something in your original post, but it doesn't sound like you eliminated the foreshots in your run. You might want to start with that topic just to be on the safe side.
bd
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

foreshots, the "bad tasting" tails (the whole mess tastes bad from the turbo's) huffing and spurts from thermostat control or vapour collapse or vapour locks in the coil...
there is so many problems here, you just need to fix them all. no one bit of advice will help.

to quote Rad: you can and should do better.

chalk all this up to "we made cheap likker" (kinda) now try to make some good likker. safely.

read til you bleed.

on the bright side the sugar wash is a great sac run...clean some drains with it!

now i drink for evil.
Red_90
Novice

Post by Red_90 »

Bad Dog wrote:What HDB said "you should read for a while before running or drinking any of what you made." (especially the drinking part!) I don"t know if I missed something in your original post, but it doesn't sound like you eliminated the foreshots in your run. You might want to start with that topic just to be on the safe side.
bd
I did eliminate the foreshots, I went a little overkill and dumped the first 4 ounces of the run, just to be safe.
Red_90
Novice

Post by Red_90 »

HDNB wrote:foreshots, the "bad tasting" tails (the whole mess tastes bad from the turbo's) huffing and spurts from thermostat control or vapour collapse or vapour locks in the coil...
there is so many problems here, you just need to fix them all. no one bit of advice will help.

to quote Rad: you can and should do better.

chalk all this up to "we made cheap likker" (kinda) now try to make some good likker. safely.

read til you bleed.

on the bright side the sugar wash is a great sac run...clean some drains with it!
Yeah after my room mate brought up the idea of home distilling he went and bought a turbo yeast on a whim, then I read tr reviews AFTER we started fermenting, so we just let it do it's thing,

The huffing was caused by one of the coils being higher than the last, and straightened it out.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

You are making progress . Stay with it .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

try a faux whiskey recipe like ujssm. the sugar wash is really designed for a reflux rig, for a neutral result. your pot still is going to pass flavour. may just as well be a good flavour.
read that cuts thread too, it's important for your end product, and your health...and will reduce your Tylenol bill.
glad you found your huffer. thermostatically controlled heat can cause a similar symptom. :thumbup:

now i drink for evil.
Red_90
Novice

Post by Red_90 »

HDNB wrote:try a faux whiskey recipe like ujssm. the sugar wash is really designed for a reflux rig, for a neutral result. your pot still is going to pass flavour. may just as well be a good flavour.
read that cuts thread too, it's important for your end product, and your health...and will reduce your Tylenol bill.
glad you found your huffer. thermostatically controlled heat can cause a similar symptom. :thumbup:
We're just getting our feet wet with the sugar wash for now before we get deeper in with another recipe, even though a neutral spirit is better made with a reflux still.

And moving the coil helped a bit but we're doing this on an electric stove top so I guess it will continue to huff as the element cycles.:/
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

you could try a bain marie to buffer the temp shift...pain in the ass tho...

now i drink for evil.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

If you could find a vessel large enough to fit your boiler in to you could try a double boiler rig . That could help ameliorate the cycling issue of the stove . Just a thought .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
thatguy1313
Distiller

Post by thatguy1313 »

Double boiler is the way to go with an electric stove top. Cycling will cause smearing and surging and be a general PITA.

Red_90
Novice

Post by Red_90 »

We have taken what we learned, read till we bled, and we've had a 5 gallon Carboy of bird watchers sugar wash recipe fermenting for over a week.
8lbs sugar
4 ounces tomato paste
1 whole lemon's worth of juice
Water to dissolve the sugar and then fill the Carboy
2 packets of red star champagne yeast.

We're going to give it another shot with the pot still and flavor what we keep.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

right on. :thumbup:
let us know how the run turns out. read that cuts thread again and air out for a day or two.

if you are going to add flavour try kahlua or cherry panty dropper or something...stay away from that store bought crap...it does not taste like bourbon or scotch or...well like anything consumable.

UJ improves alot with some charred oak..maybe BW will too?

now i drink for evil.
thatguy1313
Distiller

Post by thatguy1313 »

I don't think I would oak BW. You can try but it would be better used to make a fruity drink. You'll definitely want to try UJ or sweetfeed to get you rollin on a pot still. Then it just takes practice and patience. Good luck with your journey!

Red_90
Novice

Post by Red_90 »

Just finished a 5 gallon run of bird watchers out of my pot still, I ended up with about a gallon of distillate, bending the coil did help with the huffing issue but it's still there, barely. I kept tasting it and tails came up strong on this batch, and once that happened, I collected what little of tails I wanted and threw it in for the 2nd run(had to split it up due to the small pot). I also separated the heads and hearts and I have to say the red star yeast leaves A LOT better flavor than the turbo crap.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

you're hooked now.
it's good to hear this batch turned out better for you. :clap:
is product good enough, or are you planning any upgrades?

now i drink for evil.
Red_90
Novice

Post by Red_90 »

HDNB wrote:you're hooked now.
it's good to hear this batch turned out better for you. :clap:
is product good enough, or are you planning any upgrades?
Yup, we ended up with about 50%abv across the board on both runs

For now I'll keep the still the same as we're in an apartment and anything bigger would be hard to put away

I'll probably keep doing sugar washes and eventually move into a simple corn whiskey recipe.
calmbeforthestorm
Novice

Red_90 wrote:Just finished a 5 gallon run of bird watchers out of my pot still, I ended up with about a gallon of distillate, bending the coil did help with the huffing issue but it's still there, barely. I kept tasting it and tails came up strong on this batch, and once that happened, I collected what little of tails I wanted and threw it in for the 2nd run(had to split it up due to the small pot). I also separated the heads and hearts and I have to say the red star yeast leaves A LOT better flavor than the turbo crap.
What I have and continue to do is to Take and break my wash up in 4 small batch runs and take all collected minus the head and put back in the next run. with a final run of good and clean.. run the still colder for the long run and less tails to deal with in the end. Proof on my end run normally about 130's to 160's for most of the final run.. I will collect in 12 0z bottles and number them as they come out and label with proof and what number that bottle was.. because small pots have a good chance of boil up and turn your product cloudy this will ensure of what you have collected is good.

After its finished I will take the middle of all collected (about 3/4) as the reserves best quality for aging.

I love this craft. :P
Red_90
Novice

Post by Red_90 »

We took 3 quarts of our product and put some sliced strawberries in it, we're going to let it sit for a week and see how it tastes. Wish us luck. :D