distilling water using old copper still

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

habanero_jefe
Novice

distilling water using old copper still

Post by habanero_jefe »

Hello!

I bought an old copper still with the intention of distilling water (and possible wine for brandy for my wife) But I'm concerned now about the presence of lead in the solder. If my still was assembled using lead solder, does that make it unusable? I plan to test it for lead when it arrives. But in the meantime, can anyone offer advise? Thank you in advance! - Jeff
habanero_jefe
Novice

Re: distilling water using old copper still

Post by habanero_jefe »

Thanks. I wish I knew to ask when I bought it. I guess I'll hold onto it and resell it. I only paid $100 for it. It's a 5 gal. And in beautiful shape. I wish I could post a photo. I'd love to get your opinion on date, or time period.
Jeff
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

Id love to see pics of it. I think you can get a lead test kit from lowes or Home Depot. I'd have to agree with the Rock. Lead means its a looker not a worker.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I would also not use a copper still for water. It will give the water a funky taste. Stainless is best for water distilling.

Not that I would drink distilled water. It's not that good for drinking. Filtered water is better.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

Why not dissasemble it, remove all the old solder, clean it, and reassemble using a lead-free solder ? If it's all copper you should be able to break it down and rebuild using a simple propane torch.

After all, you've got all the parts ... think of it as a kit.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Excellent advice given above ..I would also like to see a picture if possible ..
Welcome to HD!! Hope you enjoy the forums and Parent site ..
Good Luck!
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
habanero_jefe
Novice

Post by habanero_jefe »

All good advise. I think I will just dismantle and reassemble with new solder (silver?) Or I'll just get a new stainless steel still, if it's true about distilled water tasting bad with copper. The benefits of drinking distilled water are well documented however - provided it's consumed maybe 2 or 3 days out of a month. It cleanses the body of the unwanted, organic and non-organic matter . But the human body needs the beneficial minerals found in filtered water the rest of the time. My opinion.

I would like to know how to post photos of the still here. Can it be done? I'd love to know about how old it might be. Thank you everybody!
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Take the picture ...Post your reply ...Push the 'upload attachment' option, next to the option choice ..You may have to crop or resize your photo to spec, then submit your post ..
Took me a couple tries, but easy .
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

800x 800 pixels is the max size to post
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
Venture Rider
Novice

Post by Venture Rider »

rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I have passed up several old copper stills simply because I knew I would never put the time and effort required into disassembling, removing every bit of lead solder, and resolder with lead free solder... I could build a new one quicker and easier...
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Or just a killer ornament all shined up
habanero_jefe
Novice

Post by habanero_jefe »

Thx for the directions. I'll ponder my options moving forward. But I do see myself getting this one right. How old would you guess this is?
Attachments
Here it is!
Here it is!
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Looks good and straight ...Definitely check lead content. I'd heat it up, separate and clean everything, reassemble w/good solder ..Cut the arm off to accommodate a 1.5" ferrule, cap, and tri-clamp ..Use that as your filler spout ..Then measure the top opening? Either make a traditional Appalachian cap, then you can add a thumper whenever,and worm condenser, or install a ferrule, reducer, and put a 2" simple potstill column w/liebig condenser ..That's what I'd do ..Either way, it'd be bad-ass ..What size is it? :clap:
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Amen rock, that's someone's hard work from their time, don't destroy it appreciate it's beauty, would you touch up a Picasso with the kids water colors hell no. Polish that thing and show it off to those you trust and can appreciate it. Please.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

if it tests clean use it. if not show it off as is. polishing the patina takes away from the rustic beauty. doubt it's that old. it's not green yet.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Make it shine like a new penny, gotta squint to not be blinded in the light.
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

I guess if you got it to look at ..Look at it.
If you got it to use, use it ..Any sentimental feelings? Plenty of runs left in her!
Make your own history. imo. :D
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

I gotta agree with rock and somo. If it is older and contains lead solder, that is a piece of history you have there. They are becoming fewer and fewer, lost between generations, sold as scrap, etc.
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

moosemilk wrote:I gotta agree with rock and somo. If it is older and contains lead solder, that is a piece of history you have there. They are becoming fewer and fewer, lost between generations, sold as scrap, etc.

I understand, that's cool...I was sittn here readn, done had a double shot a corn, and I's wondrin :

moosemilk if you started @ 8am on a Saturday morning, with no problems to speak of, how long would it take you to take it apart clean it, and solder it back ..
Just wundrin. :)
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Take at least a good days work. Flat lock seam on the boiler and collar, take those apart, heat and wipe away all old solder with a wet rag, then sanding to get rid of any solder left over. Then do the same to all other joints, then dry fit it all back together, probably going to want to anneal those seams as well so the bend easy,and nice and flush again, clean and prep it all. Solder. Wet test before running. I banged together a five gallon with flake in probably less time, including cutting out the sheet. Putting back together wouldn't be time consuming. It's taking apart and making g sure you remove any of (what may or may not be as we don't know yet) the lead solder. Sound about right?

I am for preserving a piece of history. And at 100 bux he got a good deal even if it's an ornament. Flea bay has worse condition for more than double price...but flea bay also has one born every minute lol.

Edit...also just finished a good half pint. this site needs to implement a breathalyzer before posting :lol:
habanero_jefe
Novice

Post by habanero_jefe »

All you guys are cool and I thank you for all your opinions. What will push me one way or the other is the still's age. Do anyone have any rough ideas on a date? If it's really old, I'll keep it as is. If I did, would polishing it be a good or bad thing? The lady who sold it to me filled it with water to test for leaks. There were none. And she got 4 1/2 gallons into it. If I preserve it, I'm going to run water through it and then I'm going to test the water itself.(with a good quality tester) I will certainly post results.

This attached picture is of a stainless steel still I would be considering for active water distillation and brandy and maybe something else! (it's 2 gallon) $75.00.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts! Don't forget to share your thoughts on a date on it. She is a beaut.

Jeff
Attachments
Stainless.jpg
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

The solder test would tell if anything, I think most folks new of lead free solder in the '50s. That doesn't guarantee anything tho, you can still buy leaded solder today.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

it looks factory made, machine folded seams, machine made bale riveted on the boiler... base with a rolled seam, gotta be done in a shop not many has those kind of tools in the shed. the other seams look welded not soldered? (picture or my eyes?) they are raised and very uniform...makes we wonder if it is copper or not some welded ferrous material painted to look like aged copper.
best guess- at least post prohibition prbably 50-60's... i'm going with 1965 based on condition / dirt level and i'm going with it being manufactured as an ornament or flower watering pail made to look like a still....and then maybe it was used as a still anyway?
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Elbow machine. Ole boys put bottoms in. Working with old copper is a pain. Take it apart an clean you lookin 3 days. Get a drill an a with a wire brush. A Deanery makes the seams an a roller will curve it. A press will mmake the blocking to run throw the steamers.
Crisper helps to

So I'm tole
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I'd leave that rig intact with its existing patina and use it as a conversation piece... Most likely made with lead based solder and more difficult to redo than would be worthwhile, as I previously stated... If you polish it up you will devalue the antique... If you do a lead test, do so in an area that won't be obvious - like on the inside somewhere...
habanero_jefe
Novice

Post by habanero_jefe »

That's what I'm inclined to do - leave it be. I am going to work it once or twice, and test the distilled water for anything. I heard the heat needs to be 212 degrees. I have an old caboose wood/coal burning stove I plan to heat the still with. I need a thermometer. Do they make one I could use with this still? Cheap and accurate? So you all are thinking 1965ish for the age?
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Don't worry about a thermometer. No point at all especially if you just want to test it. Just make sure your condenser is big enough for the task.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Bro just heat until it produces water then condense. But first get a lead test kit and test it, don't test the water test the solder.
Remember water is a neutral solvent, it dissolves almost anything, including lead.