Greetings from Scandinavia

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Small Johnson
Novice

Greetings from Scandinavia

Post by Small Johnson »

Been browsing the the HD forum for long now. Now is the time to sign up :D I have been making wine for a couple of years, and studying fermentation and distilling for years. I have a bachelors degree in Chemical and Biotehnical technology as well as being a lab technician. This has given me a HUGE advantage in understanding the basics of this hobby. I hope to contribute to this forum, as much as it has contributed to my understanding of this great hobby. Great place to learn! My reason for distilling, besides the fact that it is a great and rewarding hobby, is to rebel against the fact that it is legal to ferment your own wine and beer, but illegal to distill it. I can brew and drink as much wine as I like, so why am i not allowed to refine it before drinking? After all i'm not making more alcohol in the proces. Besides, it's for my own personal consumption! Also, you won't find rye bread whisky in ANY store :?

Oh well. Felt good to get that off my shoulders.
Happy to be a member! Thanks in advance :mrgreen:
Bushman
Admin

Re: Greetings from Scandinavia

Post by Bushman »

Welcome, sounds like you have already figured out a few recipes your working on. Love visiting your region of the world as my wife is Norwegian and all her cousins still live there.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Hi, welcome to the forum. I have some Scandanavian blood in me, the gran folks had a "son" on the end of their last name. probably how i got to be blonde, blue eyed and 6'6".
In my wife's history, she has had a little scandanvian in her too!

enjoy the forum, have some fun!
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Nobody else has commented yet shockingly......but interesting handle lol

Welcome!
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

I was thinking that too! Welcome,another one with Scandinavian blood. :wave:
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
Small Johnson
Novice

Post by Small Johnson »

You just had to comment on the name... Small Johnson is in fact well equipped fyi. Got the name from a fictional moonshiner in a novel. Is it to late to change my name, or should I just get used to the harsh bullying? >_<
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Small Johnson wrote:You just had to comment on the name... Small Johnson is in fact well equipped fyi. Got the name from a fictional moonshiner in a novel. Is it to late to change my name, or should I just get used to the harsh bullying? >_<
Hey, i'm stuck with HDNB. hindsight 20/20 ain't it?

now i drink for evil.
Small Johnson
Novice

Post by Small Johnson »

HDNB wrote:
Small Johnson wrote:You just had to comment on the name... Small Johnson is in fact well equipped fyi. Got the name from a fictional moonshiner in a novel. Is it to late to change my name, or should I just get used to the harsh bullying? >_<
Hey, i'm stuck with HDNB. hindsight 20/20 ain't it?
:clap: :D Sure is...
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

No harsh bullying intended, just a bit of fun. My handle don't sound to good in certain contexts either lol. Sorry if I offended, was not my intent. Hope you still feel welcome!
Small Johnson
Novice

Post by Small Johnson »

No hard feelings :D I knew I had heard the name Johnson in some other context. Hoped it would go unnoticed :lolno: Like that was ever going to happen... :lol: I feel most welcome, thank you. My humor can be a bit to refined for most people at times. This time everyone got it except me :oops:

Oh by the way.. Got milk? :wink:
Bob Loblaw
Swill Maker

Post by Bob Loblaw »

Welcome SJ!

Just tell 'em you're a grower not a shower.
Easiest way to avoid being on a TTB list is to not purchase a boiler, full column, or condensor from a retailer. Build your own.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

you will be in for it if you ever decide to build a 10 plate column. :lol: :lol: :lol: stay away from corvette flags for an avatar.

now i drink for evil.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Look at it this way - Small Johnson, but big balls.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Small Johnson wrote: should I just get used to the harsh bullying? >_<
With a handle like that you most certainly do, just remember you picked it... At least you don't have to be embarrassed by a public erection, so there is a plus. :sarcasm:

Seriously though... If the name isn't the result of a healthy sense of humor but instead an honest mistake, then a mod will likely change it for you upon request. Which you should certainly do if you don't like the idea of more impending jokes on your giggly bits.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Small Johnson wrote:

Oh by the way.. Got milk? :wink:
All dry, but I'll ask the udder moose lol.
(groaning at my own bad joke).

On another note, "T-Pee" will be happy he's no longer alone.

We're all a good gang with a bit of ribbing never taken seriously.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Can't remember the title of the thread but we had one going a few years ago that dealt with how members came up with their handle/name. My handle could be construed many different ways :sarcasm:
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

bearriver wrote:
Small Johnson wrote: should I just get used to the harsh bullying? >_<
If the name isn't the result of a healthy sense of humor but instead an honest mistake, then a mod will likely change it for you upon request.

Can i have blackdog, in honour of my ol' still hand Guiness? He's about the best dog a fella could ever be adopted by, and as he gets older it confronts me that i'll lose him soon.
The guy that made that handle hasn't been here for years.
Or if you all have a better suggestion for the pointless blathering thats comes from this handle... :ebiggrin:

now i drink for evil.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

sorry op, hijack!

now i drink for evil.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

So, to get back in topic, do you have a build in mind, SJ? Is it flavored (whiskey, rum, brandy) you are after? Or neutrals? Or both? That'll help you decide what type of rig to go with. I prefer whiskey, so started with a simple pot still heated on a propane burner. Tried some rum and an apple brandy and I'm hooked. Not a fan of neutrals (vodka, gin) but I wasn't a rum or brandy fan til I made my own. So now I'm (slowly) building a boka with stainless beer keg and going electric.
Small Johnson
Novice

Post by Small Johnson »

Oh wow. Didn't see all those comments coming. Or did I :-D Guess I should have taken "Tripod" as a handle instead ;-) Moosemilk, I‘m building a simple pot still out of a stock pot 8-10 L, fittings, 12 mm copper pipe and an old allihn (bulb)condenser. I‘m planning on mostly distilling semi neutrals with a wheat bran recipe I‘m working on. This will be used mostly for liqueurs. Obviously I will also give brandy a go, whenever I get my hands on some fruit. Whisky is on the list too. Only thing missing is a stockpot with a steel lid. Can‘t seem to find one that hasn't got a glass lid :-/ I also have an old stainless steel column still that I plan on making into a liquid management still.
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Welcome in here Johnson..( i forget about the small)
Always nice to see some fellows from scandinavia join in. :thumbup:
If you decide to use a stock pot as a boiler, use the biggest you can lay your hands on. Everything smaller than 8-10 L, will give you a bit of a hard time doing decent cuts.
Hmm...you could get a stainless milkcan as i did.. :idea:
Boiler 003.jpg