Merry Christmas from Corn Country!

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

tray
Novice

Merry Christmas from Corn Country!

Post by tray »

My name is Travis and I live in northeast Indiana, USA. Some days I wonder if I'm getting myself in over my head (or perhaps just putting the cart before the horse), but my intention is to open the first craft distillery in my region. The problem: I've never distilled a thing in my life (well, I did observe a very crude kitchen setup a year ago and we produced about 1/2 liter of spirits made from organic apple juice and sugar - but that's it!). I visited a thriving craft distillery in Iowa of November 2013 and fell in love with the craft industry immediately. I came home, learned the freedoms/restrictions unique to my home state, and began researching. But nothing beats hands-on experience so this coming week, I'm placing an order for a 26-gallon reflux still from Mile Hi (in Colorado) so I can start practicing. A bit of a hefty investment for someone just learning, but I want it to be big enough to incorporate into production once we receive permits to produce.

I'm not sure what else to tell you all, but I assure you that I'm serious about the business side. I have a partner, we have an LLC, we have a commercial location (so we can file our permit with the TTB), and we both have a passion for quality spirits (namely whiskey & bourbon). We both earn respectable livings, but either one of us would (and someday will!) take a paycut if it meant we could turn this passion into a successful business.

With all that said, I simply want to thank all of you out there for the knowledge you've shared on this website and the knowledge you will impart to me once the questions start flowing. I know it's a long shot, but if any "experts" out there happen to live within a couple hours of the northeast Indiana region, I'd love to invite you to see what we're trying to accomplish. We would be eternally grateful for your insight (lunch is on me!).

I look forward to interacting with all of you!

Happy Distilling (& Merry Christmas!)
Halfbaked
retired

Re: Merry Christmas from Corn Country!

Post by Halfbaked »

Welcome and Merry Christmas. You are really need to do tons of reading. Ordering a still from internet is not a real good idea if you don't have all your finances and location and stillin knowledge ready to go. If you can cancel it I would (at least until you get a little closer to opening) Get your a 15 gal keg and some 2 in copper and solder your own. If you don't go into business stillin the TBB will have your name. Read this link in its entirety and understand every word http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=46 Welcome, be safe, read, read, read ,slow down a little and you will make good drop. Honestly I understand being excited about your new hobby.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Welcome Tray. You will need a still of some sort in place before you are permitted. The TTB requires a serial number.
Go ahead and order your still. If for some reason you are not approved sell the thing. With recent events such as the serious fuck up in Oklahoma I think your chances are better for approval going smoother with a commercially produced still.

Read a lot here cause you have a long row ahead of you. Read the TTB regs inside and out. Do not open your doors until you are putting out quality, so a couple years down the road at a minimum. If you are going to hang your shingle in the craft world please represent the industry in a positive light. No shit out the door. Super competitive for shelf space already. By the time you are ready for the shelf it will be even tougher.

If you have any romantic notions about this as a business throw them out. Head Distiller is just a nice way of saying glorified janitor.

I love it though. Good Luck with your project. Please do not ask me questions pertaining to the TTB. That info is best sourced directly.
They were extremely helpful and really do want to see you succeed.
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

Tray, Woodshed it your man for advice on a start up. If Woodshed tells you something put it in your bag and take it to the bank it's gold.
tray
Novice

Post by tray »

Halfbaked, thanks for the help so far and the encouragement! I already can't believe what an active community this is! I have a feeling I'll be asking Woodshed some questions in the near future...