6" or 4" Keg Top Ferrule

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

JoeFL77
Novice

6" or 4" Keg Top Ferrule

Post by JoeFL77 »

Hello folks, I have been distilling for a while and thank you for letting me join the forum.

I am going to build and electrically heated keg. I can't decide whether to weld a 4" or 6" ferrule on it. I know I could just use the 2" on it now. I will probably use that for the bottom and a drain. Most folks seem to stop at 4". I think I would like a little more room to get inside so I am thinking 6". I plan on using a concentric reducer to go to 4" or 2". I know that will be a lot, about $80.

Has anyone done a 6" ? Is it much more difficult?

I figure I will be around for another 25 years. So in the long run if it is better, I'll do it.

I presently have a 15 gal stock pot with a 2" copper pipe in the lid. Eventually, I hope to build a 4" bubble column but can run this keg easily attached to the same worm I have now.

Thanks
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Re: 6" or 4" Keg Top Ferrule

Post by MitchyBourbon »

Welcome to HD JoeFL77,

A 4" column is probably as big as you want to go on a 15 gallon keg. That said, if you got the skills and the resources to put a 6" hole on a keg I say go for it. Cleaning will be easier, you will be able to look inside easier too.
I'm goin the distance...
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

Welcome Joe and pretty much same as Mitchy. If $ isn't issue I say go for it.
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

money could be the deciding factor, price out each size to reduce down to your column and see if its worth it. anything above 2" starts to climb in price very quickly

Do you plan on distilling on the grain??
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

I'd get an reducing adapter to use with the original sanke valve. There are suggestions that a reduced diameter feeding the column will provide some benefit in a reflux column. A very recent thread is bumping around here on that exact subject.

A clean out port works really nice on the side of the keg. Think about how long your arms are. As well, you would have more options for a gasket material due to it being out of the vapor path. Someone posted an affordable manway solution a few months back... :idea:
JoeFL77
Novice

Post by JoeFL77 »

Thanks for the info.

Money is always an issue but I think it will be worth it.

I may still on the grain. I have only done UJSSM so far. I used my simple stock pot pot still.

I had a tough decade and didn't get much stuff done other than working a lot for little. Recently things have gotten much, much better. My wife is much better and things are looking up. I have bought a lot of stuff like a monster mill, a mini 3-1 lathe/mill, and lots of other things I hope to finally have fun with.

I hope to malt some corn. Do some all grain. Use the big stock pot to cook while the keg to still.

I read this web site a lot and look forward to using all the tools in the workshop.

Thanks again!
JoeFL77
Novice

Post by JoeFL77 »

Bearriver,

I was typing when you posted so I didn't see your reply. I might use one of those end cap reducer. That would be the equivalent of keeping the 2" opening. I could go smaller too. So many options and so many unknowns.

Thanks for info.
Bob Loblaw
Swill Maker

Post by Bob Loblaw »

6" is 50% bigger, and 2x the price of 4". And you need a ferrule, a clamp, and a reducer. Not even considering the cost of a drill bit... OR the drill you need to make that sucker turn.

If you really want a 6" opening on a keg boiler, I'd add a separate 6" fill/cleanout port. But for a column attachment, 4" ferrule is going to cover about any type of still head you will be able to drive out of that size of boiler.
Easiest way to avoid being on a TTB list is to not purchase a boiler, full column, or condensor from a retailer. Build your own.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I agree with Bob, a member Mash Rookie experimented with a 6" column and said that the boiler would have to be larger than a keg to drive it.
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

just saw this post while i was looking for info on grain mills. i have a keg and did put on the 6" ferrule. then used a reducer to 4". i can tell you that is the way to go. yes, you can use the 2" opening and a 4" workswell also. but, when i put on the six inch it did two things. first cleaning is a breeze and second with the reducer i gained extra length in my column and the opening allows for mor evaporation. some will say it doesnt matter. however, my notes would disagree. the only thing i might do over would be to get a y reducer. that way i could add a 90 and fill without doing a complete tear down.
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

One more for 6". Personally my arm won't fit through a 4", so bigger is better for cleaning.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051