Hello from another newbie

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hello from another newbie

Post by DSM Loki »

Hello all, newbie here. I've been reading, studying, and learning as much as I could for quite a while here. I've been wanting to try my hand at home distillation for quite some time and I've come up with enough free time lately to pick up another hobby. I'm primarily interested in making whiskies, maybe some brandies. As soon as the rest of the materials arrive I plan to get a little copper pot and thumper together. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions ahead and I'll do my due diligence to search and read as much as I can so as to not ask the same questions that have been answered a million times before.
Jaggie
Novice

Re: Hello from another newbie

Post by Jaggie »

welcome if in doubt read then search then reread again
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

Welcome! Enjoy your visit here with us... MAKE SURE YOU READ THE REQUIRED INFORMATION

Welcome to the forum... Please read the forum rules and regulations, safety tips and the new distillers section when you can... this may help you get a few questions answered early...

I also have links in my signature line...

Happy Stillin,

FS

Give this post a read will help you a lot...

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Thanks for the warm welcomes and for pointing me in the right direction. I've made myself extremely familiar with the required reading, suggested reading, and shall continually go back over it and studying it. My first priority is to be absolutely as safe as possible, and secondary to that I'd like to have a good time making a quality drink. I am very well aware that careful study can only do so much though, and expect a steep learning curve when I do start.

I'm an engine machinist/builder by trade, though my background of experience and skills is somewhat varied because I have a need to constantly learn how to do more things. I am lucky to also live in an area with a disproportionate amount of breweries who also support the very large and active homebrewing community in the area.

Anyhow, enough rambling on by me. I'll get back to anxiously awaiting materials and further studying/searching the wealth of information available here. Thanks again everybody, I'll update later when I have something shiny to show and some fermentation going. Feel free to ask about anything more you'd like to know.
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Well most of my material showed up today, looks like it's about time to relearn solidworks and finish my design plan.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

we like shiny things...
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

I had to run out and use a large format plotter but I got my template printed and cut it out. I plan on tracing it out on the sheet tomorrow and start cutting soon. I've still gotta draw up my thumper and pick up material for that as well as some pipe, tubing, and fittings this week sometime too. Come to think of it I need to get a larger fermenter, figure out a flake stand, and cooling water container. I'm tempted to use an IBC for a cooling water reservoir since I have one kicking around.

I tend to build things in such a way that I don't need to upgrade entire systems, just make minor tweaks here and there in the future. I drew this thing up sized so that I don't intend to build another potstill for quite some time.

Cornhusker, good to see another michigander. I'll get pics up as soon as I start making some progress.
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Well, I was gifted a 15.5gal keg today so I ordered all the fittings I should need for the entire system end to end. I've been reading, searching, reading, planning, searching, and reading. Thanks to the many knowledgeable members here I think that I'll be able to do a vinegar/water test run by next weekend and find/fix any problems.
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Well, I got all of my patterns laid out, traced, and cut out. Formed the cape and cap frustums, and started work on the collar. I still have to drill and rivet everything, form the top of the cap, the lyne arm, and the bottom but I'm satisfied with the progress I made watching TV for a couple hours.
Attachments
tonightsprogress2.jpg
tonightsprogress1.jpg
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

I'm liking the looks of things early on. Anticipating a build with respect to traditional lines. Keep us updated.

Just a thought -- this build looks like it's going to have some character and will be fun watching the progress. I'd recommend you start a new thread for this build. Your build will be lost over time in this intro thread.
hawgwrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hawgwrench »

Love it man! Old school.....I'm jealous! Brings back memories of bein a kids up around Hiawassee 40 years ago. Had to be careful stompin around the mountain as ya was apt to run up on similar stuff. Keep us posted, liking the way your headed! Welcome!
Patience....the early bird get's the worm, but the second rat get's the cheese.