well...what else is there to do in Iowa?

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

GentlemanGin
Novice

well...what else is there to do in Iowa?

Post by GentlemanGin »

Hello All!
New member from the mid western USA here. I've been lurking around the forums for a few weeks now and decided it as time I join in on the fun. Ok, fine, I want to use you all for your vast knowledge of the distilling arts!

I'm a big fan of gin. It's been my go-to spirit for a decade now. For Christmas this year, The Girl got me the "Make Your Own Gin kit". Since then, I've been cranking out a batch or two of cold compound gin a week. I've made some truly fantastic bathtub gin and some that was merely... interesting.

From here I'd like to start distilling my own. My thought is to start with a base of cheap vodka, like I did with the bathtub gin, but this time re-distill it in a pot still with the botanicals in the pot. I'm also considering making a pot still with a gin basket to vapor infuse the product a la Bombay Sapphire. I'm aware this method will be much more costly than making a mash and distilling from scratch, but did anyone really get into distilling to save money?

I'm still working on plans for my pot still (i'm painfully "house poor" at the moment) but I plan to have enough cash to put one together by the middle of next month.
I plan on keeping notes of everything I do so if you have any questions (or even better, advice) Send me a message.
Thanks!
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: well...what else is there to do in Iowa?

Post by Braz »

Welcome GG,
Gin is a good quest. It is my favorite, but I have not yet been able to come up with just the right mix of botanicals. My method is to make a good neutral running Rad's All Bran through a reflux still then re-running it through a pot still with a gin basket in the riser.
Braz
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Welcome GentlemanGin, fair amount of gin drinkers here, I'm not one of them , make sure to read what we call mandatory here. Start with crankys post in novices called "a little spoon feeding for new distillers". This will answer most questions you'll have,then check out tried and true for some great recipes! Enjoy the forums! :wave:
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
hawgwrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hawgwrench »

Welcome to the forum! Never tried gin, that's settin the bar pretty high to start out! Good luck an be safe!
Patience....the early bird get's the worm, but the second rat get's the cheese.
GentlemanGin
Novice

Post by GentlemanGin »

Thanks for the welcome everyone. The " Spoon Feeding" section will be my before bed reading tonight. I want to go into this as well equipped as I can and this seems to be the place to learn.
Thanks again all!