honeyshine save on second run?

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

rocvodka
Novice

honeyshine save on second run?

Post by rocvodka »

hey so I made some honeyshine around christmas but used bakers yeast as I'm still new to this stuff. Needless to say it didn't turn out how I wanted. So in an attempt to save this shine do you think I can just buy some honey heat up what I have already then add the honey to the shine and redistill a second time. Do you think that would help or would it just make a mess of my pot? And will it distill with the rest of the alcohol?
Probably a stupid question but I just can't find any info out there on the Web. Any help would be Awsome thanks.
my still is an electric 13 gallon pot still.
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Re: honeyshine save on second run?

Post by bellybuster »

what exactly are you trying to do?? what is wrong with your shine??
My take on honey shine is the mead needs to be good mead before it can make good shine. The honey comes over subtly but wows the senses like no other flavour. I have done 2 batches now and both are excellent. Both meads were aged a long time prior to being distilled.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

There is nothing wrong with bakers yeast for honey. You need to be able to describe what it is about your shine that you don't like for us to have any idea what you're wanting. Generally though, if there is something nasty that can't be cut out by double distillation, there is not much you can do about it. Trying to dilute off flavors with more product might just make you a bigger, more expensive, jar of something you still don't like.
Bicycle-ninja
Novice

Post by Bicycle-ninja »

Make a clear vodka with it instead. If its foul tasting yoy prob wont get rid of it.
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

Adding honey to some shine and rerunning it probably wont do much since a still will only allow the ethanol to boil off first. since honey is NOT ethanol it will stay in the pot and be there when you finish. Many times having a lot of sugars in your still will cause it to puke and vomit and foul up your column/condensor....
Take a look at the link in my signature and do some reading over a few cups of coffee.. The time invested studying on the front end will save countless heartaches on the back end....

Dont Sell
Dont Tell
If you are not willing to learn
No One Can Help You...
If you are Determined to Learn
No One can STOP you!!
We want you to be safe and succeed so start here
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

All honey aint the same. Don't taste alike don't look alike.
what you lookin out of honey.

So I'm tole