Thank you from C2H5O5

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

C2H5O5
Swill Maker

Thank you from C2H5O5

Post by C2H5O5 »

Howdy all, Just wanted to drop by and say thank you, I have been following this site for almost two years and have learned a ton.
Thanks again!
"Carrots may be good for your eyes, but Booze will double your vision"

HD Search This helped me!
Bushman
Admin

Re: Thank you from C2H5O5

Post by Bushman »

Welcome, you will find a lot more access now that you have come over from the dark side! Can you give us a bit more info in what you have done the last few years?
C2H5O5
Swill Maker

Post by C2H5O5 »

First off I want to thank you Bushman for replying to my Howdy!

I know how it feels to be welcomed in a forum, I am an Avid Smoker/Griller/Cook and frequent quite a few forums and a simple WELCOME is a great kickstart for folks to feel part of a community and get involved immediately...

Here are a few notes from my new toy.

Specs on my Nixon Stone Offset Head Valved Reflux

Column

54” DWV Column 44” below reflux tube, 40” 32” packed column with 2 lbs copper mesh.
15 Gallon Sanke Keg
Sanke Keg Connector 2” Tri Clover clamp
2" DN50 Sanitary Male Threaded Ferrule Pipe Fitting Tri Clamp Type Stainless Steel SS316
2” PTFE quick-clamp (tri-clamp) Gasket, ground flat one side. McMaster Carr # 43315K25
High-Polish Sanitary Stainless Steel Quick-Clamp Tube Fittings Tri-Clover McMaster Carr # 4322K153
3/8” Copper Reflux return modified as in drawing

Offset Head

(2) 2” x 1.5” x 2” Reducing Tee, Female Socket-End to Female Socket-End McMaster Carr # 5520K85
(3) 1.5” x 4” length copper nipple
(2) 2” Copper Cap Female Socket-End McMaster Carr # 5520K49
(1) 3” - 2” Reducing Coupling with Center Stop, Female Socket-End to Female Socket-End McMaster Carr # 5520K149

Sight Glass

(1) 1.5” Copper DWV Fitting Trap Adaptor (FTG x Slip Joint) SupplyHouse.com SKU:WDFSJ-24 (pickled)
(2) 1.75” PTFE quick-clamp (tri-clamp) Gasket. McMaster Carr # 43315K24
(1) 1.75” x .125” Heat Resistant Borsolicate Glass. McMaster Carr # 8477K24

Sight glass was added for visual aid for the reflux.

Coolant

(2) Water Connection: Brass Garden Hose-to-Pipe Rigid Adapter, 3/4" Male Garden Hose, 3/8" NPT Male Connections McMaster Carr # 73605T56 (Teflon Tape to Join to Reducer adaptor)
(2) Water Connection: Reducer Adapters, Female Socket-End to Female Threaded Pipe 1/2” x 3/8” McMaster Carr #5520K406 (1/2” Nipple, sweat to join to Reducer)
90° Short Elbows, Female Socket-End to Female Socket-End McMaster Carr # 5520K78
(2) Water Connection: Reducing Couplings with Center Stop, Female Socket-End to Female Socket-End ½ x 3/8” McMaster Carr # 5520K69
3/8” Rigid Copper
(3) 90° Short Elbows, Female Socket-End to Female Socket-End McMaster Carr #5520K78
3/8” Standoffs: 1/4” Copper Cap Female Socket-End McMaster Carr # 5520K57 + 3/8” Electrical Grade Garolite (G-9) rod. McMaster Carr # 8534K51
1/2” Standoffs: 1/2” copper pipe 1/2” Electrical Grade Garolite (G-9) rod. McMaster Carr # 8534K42
Coolant Control: SSP FloLok 3/8" Stainless Steel Needle Valve 626-K-316. E-bay

Condensor

15 – 20' 1/4” Refrigerant Soft Copper Tubing wound to a double helix.
(2) Brass Reducing Straight Connector for 3/8" x 1/4" Tube OD Compression Fitting McMaster Carr # 50915K251

Liebig Condenser, Faux Grahm Condenser

(1) 21” a 1” copper
(2) 1" x 1/2" x 1/2" CxCxC Tee SupplyHouse.com SKU: WPT-16-08-08
(4) Reducing Couplings with Center Stop, Female Socket-End to Female Socket-End ½ X 3/8” McMaster Carr # 5520K69
(4) 1/2” nipples
(2) 90° Short Elbows, Female Socket-End to Female Socket-End McMaster Carr #5520K78
Coolant Control: SSP FloLok 3/8" Stainless Steel Needle Valve 626-K-316. E-bay

Standoffs are added for support and designed with the garolite to eliminate the exchange of heat-cold

I haven't used the Parrot yet

Parrot

1” x 12”Copper McMaster Carr # 8967K11
1” Copper Cap McMaster Carr # 5520K46 did not use
3/8” soft copper
1-1/2”DWV Pieces, Cut, Hammered and shaped.
Crotch wood base from cherry tree planed, sanded, stained and clear coated.
Alchohol Hydrometer by E.C. Kraus. Amazon

Fermenting/Product

Hydrometer Triple Scale Amazon
(2) 6.5 Gallon Fermenter with Lid. Midwest Supplies
(1) Regular 5/16” Auto Siphon Midwest Supplies , 5/16" ID Siphon Hose Midwest Supplies
(12) 16 oz. EZ cap (Grolsch Style Flip top) Beer Bottles Amber . Midwest Supplies will be making PTFE Gaskets to replace the rubber ones that come with the bottles. Teflon® PTFE, White Sheet, 1/16" Thick, 6" x 6" McMaster Carr #8545K13 or 3/32" Thick, 6" x 6" McMaster Carr #8545K14
SEOH Graduated Cylinder All Glass 250ml. Amazon
Ball, Wide Mouth Quart Jars with Lids and Bands 12 count Amazon
Air Locks, Kraut Kaps© 3 Pack – Platinum Amazon (also use for making my hot sauce)
Star San Midwest Supplies
12 oz Beer Bottles - Amber Glass - Case of 24 Midwest Supplies
20 gallon Rubbermaid Brute Trash Can x2(Gray) NSF rated LPDE 4 Home Depot
Midwest Supplies Red Bottle Capper Midwest Supplies
Bottle Caps Midwest Supplies

Thermometer

Reducer Adapters, Female Socket-End to Female Threaded Pipe McMaster Carr #5520K843
Teltru Thermometer

Misc.

Solder, Oatey 29024 Safe Flow 0.117-inch ga. Bulk Silver, 1/2lb. Amazon
takeoff to liebig Stainless Steel Connector McMaster Carr #52245K617

Cleaning

Vinegar Run 2 gallons of vinegar 3 gallons of water

Sacrificial Run used some booze laying around 2014 07 18

This is my second year, I only do this seasonally, starting in late august.

First year I ran a few stripping runs, full out and left the packing I'm using 30 gallons of birdwatchers, followed by a Spirit Run, made my cuts best I could, bottled as Apple Pie, and Purple Jesus.

This years run 40 gallons Birdwatchers, made cuts based on temp and ABV, yeah I know that's not the best way. Pulled from the middle for Apple Pia Ala mode, followed by Purple Jesus, Purple Jesus Redeye, Sweet Tea, Strawberry Panty Dropper, Tropical Blend (mixed fruit) and Rootbeer.
The Apple Pie, Sweet Tea, Purple Jesus, Purple Jesus Redeye are bottled and resting 6-8 weeks, The Rootbeer is Macerating, The Tropical and Panty dropper macerated in 150 for two days are in the first syrup stage for one week, followed by a second syrup stage in another week.
The Strawberry Panty dropper smells awesome but the tropical blend smells even better after only two days of a maceration, I am very pleased so far.

I sampled my apple pie from last year and it is quite smooth, it was a little rough the first month, I think I went to heavy on the cinnamon, the cinnamon seemed to mellow out as much as the spirit itself.
Everything is bottled at an average of 22%ABV with the exception of a bottle of sweet tea that is sitting at 45%ABV,this will be for our August Vacation...my sister loves Sweet Tea Vodka.

SOME NOTES
1) Cover the Wash better, However, Maggots distill fine after straining!!!
2) Work on my cuts more
3) Try a few new recipes
4) use the parrot??
5) Equalize the column longer and several times during spirit run.
6) Take better notes

I really love doing this and its just another hobby under my belt along with my Aquaponics, Hydroponics, Ponding, Hot sauce Recipes I make every fall, my Sous Vide Cooking, and Pit cooking, the only problem I have with this is trying to explain to my son that this is legally wrong but not morally wrong, he is 13, he will come out in the yard and say, why is the tarp up and look around and say Oh, OK i get it... this makes me feel guilty because I don't want him to think it's OK to break the rules.

As I stated earlier, I only do this seasonally and will spend the next year, reading, reviewing my mistakes and checking out new recipes.
This is all killing me because I have been dry since May in an effort to loose 50 pounds (20 pounds to go), I think I'm gonna cave when the Tropical Blend is finished.

I gave up on uploading pictures to this post...

Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Greetings C2H505, that's quite the list! Hope it all works out for you. Enjoy the forums! :wave:
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

it's nice to see the broad strokes of what you have been up to. any chance you could drill into it for a little detail? :lol: :lol:

welcome to light dark side. hope you enjoy the place and have some fun
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
C2H5O5
Swill Maker

Post by C2H5O5 »

HDNB wrote:it's nice to see the broad strokes of what you have been up to. any chance you could drill into it for a little detail? :lol: :lol:

welcome to light dark side. hope you enjoy the place and have some fun
Sorry I'm late. I only do one run every year in the early fall.

Purple Jesus
Purple Jesus Redeye
Popcorns Root Beer
Tropical Blend
Strawberry Panty Dropper
Hawkeyes Sweet Tea
Grannies Apple Pie Alamode
Cherry Bombs

Smaller bottles are 40-44 proof, larger bottles are about 100 proof, the Rootbeer was 130-150
I also pull a 12 oz retain 195 from every run from the center of the hearts, for when I'm too old to do this lol.

All the rootbeer is gone, half of the Panty Dropper is gone a few of the tropical blends and about 5 bottles of Purple Jesus and redeye are gone, still have a ton left, plus a decent batch of Apple Pie I done the previous year.
The sweet tea is mellowing (reserved) for a year to enjoy with my sister down the shore this August.

I was sipping on one of those bottles of Apple Pie in the back of the cherry bombs (50 oz.) next thing you know I was a stumble-biscuit... winded up going to bed and sleep it off, wow what a weird feeling, not quite the same as other booze and beer, was actually a little scary. "I kept saying, "someone slipped me a Mickey" lol

bbok
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bbok »

I am truly envious of your organizational skills and patience in letting the varieties mellow out! Thanks for the details. Any links to the recipes?
Accumulating pieces
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Purple Jesus...man! We had a drink in college we called Purple Jesus...mainly grain and purple Kool Aid...left me with a lot of nights I should remember....ahhhh misguided youth.

Would love to see some pics of your setup.

Welcome and congrats on the progress and products!
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
C2H5O5
Swill Maker

Post by C2H5O5 »

I have some recipes in an E-book, I'll try to upload. Just use at your own risk, this book was intended to keep my notes organized only and not to be used as a guide. Information in this E-book was gleaned from various sites.
Still E-Book updated 2015-10-07.pdf
This E-book was written to keep all my notes organized and is not intended as a Guide, this is being posted to share the recipes. Information in this E-book was gleaned from various sites. Use at your own risk.
(399.87 KiB) Downloaded 149 times

bbok
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bbok »

C2H5O5 wrote:I have some recipes in an E-book, I'll try to upload. Just use at your own risk, this book was intended to keep my notes organized only and not to be used as a guide. Information in this E-book was gleaned from various sites.
Still E-Book updated 2015-10-07.pdf

Awesome Thanks for this. :clap:
Accumulating pieces
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

I'd like a tried and true pdf like that :-)

Good job!
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
C2H5O5
Swill Maker

Post by C2H5O5 »

Mikey-moo wrote:I'd like a tried and true pdf like that :-)

Good job!
I probably should work on another book like you said "Tried and True" and only put in what I have actually tried and not necessarily all the gleaned info, alas it will take some time as I only do this seasonally.

GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

Welcome C2H5O5,

Jeeze, even his wall in that photo is organized. I feel so inadequate. :moresarcasm:

Glad ya joined us.