Hi! New member from the UK

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

muha
Novice

Hi! New member from the UK

Post by muha »

Hi.

I became interested in home distillation of spirits after reading the homedistiller wiki.
I very quickly jumped into the deep end designing and constructing a fractionating still with a capacity of somewhere near 12L costing me about £80 (made the money equivalent in moonshine back in only 2 cooks).
I have made a few batches of moonshine, the latest coming in at 92% ethanol, all of which used a plain sugar wash.
In the future I would be interested in using the still without the reflux cooling to produce a whiskey, as I now feel confident in producing plain (mostly) unflavoured moonshine.
I would also like to work out a way to cool the water used in reflux more efficiently, as I'm currently using quite a lot of water per batch (I was thinking a high surface area radiator?)

Always feel like Walter White when cooking up a batch of pure unflavoured shine 8)

Muha
thepatchworkdoll
Swill Maker

Re: Hi! New member from the UK

Post by thepatchworkdoll »

Hi Muha and welcome to the forum
Nice to see another from the UK here as well. several things you can either run the water through a car radiator and back to the columnto cool or get a 50 litre container and use a garden pond pump to circulate this water through your column or even better combine the two. Hop this helps.
regards
Patch
muha
Novice

Post by muha »

A car radiator would be very good. I do have doubts about the 50L container alone because my original solution was to use my 32L (filled to about 20L) fermenter as that container, and I still needed to replace the water in it every 20 mins or so.
Given the 50L container would also likely have a lower surface area to volume ratio (so less heat dissipated per kg of water per minute), I assume it would also heat up to too high a temperature after maybe an hour instead of 30 mins and I would still need to change the water.
I have looked on ebay for car radiators that would fit my (I think) 8mm plastic tubing but couldn't find any at a decent price. I guess I could make an adaptor to make it fit to any radiator input/output tube size though.
Thanks for the help :)
thepatchworkdoll
Swill Maker

Post by thepatchworkdoll »

Hi Muha
A normal bored demijohn bung rammed in the car radiators inlet/outlet holes works wonders. As to the 50 litre cooling water vesel. On a 3 -4 hour run in cooler weather i only have to change the water once. Hope this helps.
Regards
Patch
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

I used transmission coolers with fans for my recirculating system. They use AN fittings which can easily be converted to barb fittings for the hose. You can see a picture of it at the link in my sig. I use my sink with about 6 gal (24L) of water and don't have to change it in a 3 hr run. It also helps to heat my basement. I a 3hr run I go from 65F to 72F. Downside is that they sound like a jet taking off if run at full power.
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Hello from another Brit :-)
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
Squint
Bootlegger

Post by Squint »

I use my still in my shed, have 4 x 50 gallon water butts outside catching the water from the shed gutters ( get plenty rain here in UK )

I pump the cooling water with a water butt pump in and out the shed through the shed wall,

if the water gets too hot I just pop the pump into another water butt ( water tank )