Like Rad's All Bran

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

bonnieblue
Novice

Like Rad's All Bran

Post by bonnieblue »

Greetings all. I like Rad's all bran recipe idea for a first time 5 gallon run. Being a newbie, was wondering if there was different thoughts on these three aspects.

- Pitching yeast - just stirring it in, or any different approaches ?
- Aerate for one hour - just pouring back and forth between two five gallon runs ?
- Cap and insert air lock - do I need to cap, or could I just leave it open ended in bucket ?

Thanks,

BonnieBlue - like the flag.
Bushman
Admin

Re: Like Rad's All Bran

Post by Bushman »

Some folks just put a cloth over the top to allow it to breath yet keep the bugs out.

PS: Welcome to the forum.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Greetings, bonnieblue...

While your questions are beyond the scope of The Welcome Center, and should be asked in my All Bran topic, I'll cut you a break on the forum protocols and answer here...

I prefer to make a starter with my yeast, which also "proofs" the yeasts viability... I use 115F water and a small amount of sugar to start my Fleischmann's Dry Active Yeast... Make sure you use a container with about 4x the original volume as the colony will expand substantially... Some folks dry pitch and I do myself when my time is limited... Both methods work...

As for aerating, I usually aerate every 15 minutes for the first hour... Another personal preference...

Regarding air locks, I have always used them so I can monitor fermentation speed more than for any other reason...

Hope this information helps...

Good luck, stay safe, and enjoy the journey...
bonnieblue
Novice

Post by bonnieblue »

Thanks for advice and apologies for my protocol snafu.

Regards,
Pat
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Welcome Pat.

Where do you hail from? What do you like to drink? How long have you been distilling? And other such introductory questions...
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Welcome in Pat..
+1 On the yeast starter as Rad advised, it's also my usual way of getting the yeast "kickstarted".
I assume you already have a still since you write about your first 5 gal run...?
If so, please share a picture of it.
Meanwhile, I would like to introduce you to your new hobby by pointing to the spoonfeed thread (link in my signature).
It will provide you with a lot of information about and around distilling.

Enjoy and stay safe..