Greetings from South Africa

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Vincent
Novice

Greetings from South Africa

Post by Vincent »

Greetings to all

I'm from Pietermaritzburg, South Africa. I'm new to the site and the world of micro-brewing. My first still I've almost completed is a Boko Reflux Still. I've used Stainless Steel as the material.
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Greetings from South Africa

Post by MoonBreath »

Welcome to HD!
You are new to this site and also the hobby and have already almost completed a stainless boka build? Wowww, you had to have some guidance somewhere, please tell us all more ..And pics if possible.
Enjoy the required readn, site, and journey.
Good luck, do be safe.
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Welcome . I know little of your area except through the eyes of Wilbur Smith . He makes it sound enchanting .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Vincent
Novice

Post by Vincent »

Hi MoonBreath

hank you for the kind words. I've used HD as my main guidance so far. I've taken a few pics of the column parts that are finished. I'm left with finding a suitable packing and completing the coil.
Attachments
Boko Still 1 e.jpg
Boko Still 1 d.jpg
Boko Still 1 c.jpg
Boko Still 1 b.jpg
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Hi Vincent,

welcome to the forum.
It doesn't look like if your still is vented at the top. It's very important for safety. You simply could drill a hole besides the water in and out.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Greetings and welcome..
Wow..I must say it's a nifty column you've build there. :clap:
However, I have just one remark....is the end cap on top vented to atmosphere?
It should be or you'll have a bomb when the valve is closed..! :esurprised: :esurprised: :shock:
You have probably come by Crankys spoonfeed thread, if not please have a look at the link in my signature.

Have fun and stay safe....
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Welcome Vincent. We had another new member from S. A. about a year ago. Went by Fidel Naidoo. He was an absinthe enthusiast, seemed like a nice guy. He disappeared suddenly and mysteriously in the middle of a conversation we were having by PM. It was very odd. I hope you will stick with us longer. Your work so far looks good. Keep the pics coming.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

He disappeared suddenly and mysteriously in the middle of a conversation we were having by PM. It was very odd. I hope you will stick with us longer. [/quote]

Hippos,leopards,crocodiles,lions....

Welcome V
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Vincent
Novice

Post by Vincent »

Hi All

Thank you for all the kind remarks. jb-textshine....the only place we have hippos, croc, lions etc are in our national parks. So Fidel definitely didn't succumb to any of those. Well technically not, unless he visited a park of course.

der wo and Danespirit thank you both for bringing that to my attention. I have read in numerous places about the venting to the atmosphere but it seems only for other still types. Although I fully understand the logic behind the need of a vent or pressure release what I do not get is this. If a reflux column has a vent at it's top end then surely all the evaporated ethanol will escape via this vent? Or am I missing something ?
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Vincent wrote:Hi All

Thank you for all the kind remarks. jb-textshine....the only place we have hippos, croc, lions etc are in our national parks. So Fidel definitely didn't succumb to any of those. Well technically not, unless he visited a park of course.

der wo and Danespirit thank you both for bringing that to my attention. I have read in numerous places about the venting to the atmosphere but it seems only for other still types. Although I fully understand the logic behind the need of a vent or pressure release what I do not get is this. If a reflux column has a vent at it's top end then surely all the evaporated ethanol will escape via this vent? Or am I missing something ?
I can answer this for you. A CM still is run similar to a pot still in that it's design is never closed by a valve. An LM and VM still is open at the top but vapors should not escape through the top unless you do not have enough to knock down the vapors during reflux. If the valve is closed and does not have an open system as a pot and CM still have then pressure could build up and create a bomb. The opening at the top of the other reflux stills allows for this escape in the event that you do have a blockage and pressure builds.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

The vent is a requirement on any reflux still that has a control valve that is closed during heat-up and equilibrium... As Bushman stated, all LM's and VM's require a vent if the reflux section is capped off... This is a safety concern that should be addressed immediately if there is no vent...
papapro
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by papapro »

Or you do not use the clamp just let it sit on top of the column, that would releave the pressure if builds up.
Yes I am a Novice with 40+ years of doing this hobby
distilling is like sex the slower the better and everyone is happy
fermenting is opposit to sex the faster the better
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

papapro wrote:Or you do not use the clamp just let it sit on top of the column, that would releave the pressure if builds up.
This is just not good advice to be providing in these forums... If the cap jams you still have a potential bomb... We take safety very seriously here and you should too...
papapro
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by papapro »

I guess you are right Rad I also take safty very seriously that is why I do not use any direct heating elements,
and my column has 2 inch openning.
Yes I am a Novice with 40+ years of doing this hobby
distilling is like sex the slower the better and everyone is happy
fermenting is opposit to sex the faster the better
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

The ventilation hole to the atmosphere serves two purposes.

1. You need it to prevent pressure is building up, or you'll end up with a pipe bomb instead of a still (so no need to worry about leopards or the like, the still will kill you :esurprised: ).
2. If you don't have it, your still won't function at all. As the contents in the boiler heat up, there are also created a variety of uncondensable gasses.
Those gasses have to escape somewhere...
A common question from new distillers is about condensing the vapor generated.
Ethanol is liquid as up to 77-78 C (depending on your height over sea level).
This means as long as you condenser is below that temperature, you'll have liquid Ethanol.
It takes surprisingly little cooling capacity, to knock down those vapors. As your reading progress, you'll understand it better.
Just an example...my coils for 2" columns: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 87&t=52290
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Just to be clear:

Leave the whole top open. It is the reflux condenser that keeps vapor from escaping. A cap has no purpose at all. The R.C. forms the boundary. Everything above it should must be atmosphere.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"