Cheers from northern Europe

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Berserk
Bootlegger

Cheers from northern Europe

Post by Berserk »

Hey guys.

First of all I would like to thank all the members of this site for the incredible amount of knowledge and wisdom shared. Thank you!

I'm a software consultant hailing from northern Europe. My interest in homedistilling started about a year ago, and I have lurked here ever since. Homedistilling really scratches my engineering nerve, and I get cheap alcohol as a bonus. I'm actually not a big drinker at all, and tend to prefer cocktails over straight drinks, which is why I'm mostly interested in making neutral for infusions and liqueurs, rum for cocktails as well as some bourbon and whiskeys for sours and for the hell of it.

My first still was a simple 10 liter stock pot with a stainless steel bowl and a 10mm copper worm in a bucket run on a 1500W hotplate. It produced very shoddy alcohol.
The first upgrade was a 1m long 35mm column, packed with lava rock and with a jacketed condenser at the top, which would classify it as a CM. This still produced better alcohol, both in taste and %ABV (94% at it's best), so I have made some vodka, limoncello and berry liqueurs as well as spiced rum. So far I have tried BW, DWWG as well as a brown sugar/muscovado rum.

My current project is to install a 2000W heater element in a 30 liter keg and construct a regulator using an SSR and an Arduino, so that I can do bigger batches and hopefully be able to make better cuts.
Once it's up and running I'll try my hand at UJSSM. I was thinking of stripping the first 3 generations and run them through the CM to create neutral, then do corn whiskey using gen 4-6. I'm really curious how UJSSM vodka would taste, and hopefully I'll soon find out.

Anyhow, that's me.
Cheers,
Berserker
Cheers,
Berserk

He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind.
But he who sticks out in darkness is fluorescent!
Bushman
Admin

Re: Cheers from northern Europe

Post by Bushman »

Welcome, your handle makes me believe you are from one of the Viking Countries in the north. Being married to a Norwegian I have done a lot of reading and touring Viking museums as we try to get to Norway every 3-4 years.
Berserk
Bootlegger

Post by Berserk »

Thank you! You are also correct!
Cheers,
Berserk

He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind.
But he who sticks out in darkness is fluorescent!
cuginosgrizzo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cuginosgrizzo »

Hi Berserker, and welcome to this forum from a fellow European (although much southern) with a similar day job!
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Berserk wrote:My first still was a simple 10 liter stock pot with a stainless steel bowl and a 10mm copper worm in a bucket run on a 1500W hotplate. It produced very shoddy alcohol.
Modify the hotplate to not surge and you can make good flavoured booze from a set up like this... if you run it right ;-)

Anyway - Welcome to the forum :-)
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!