Hello Yall.

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

solartje
Novice

Hello Yall.

Post by solartje »

Hi all,

I've been lurking on these forums and other for a long several months.
I love everything about alcohol, from distilling, to making stills to drinking it, but i only have experience with the last ;-).
After some research i've been plannen my project the last couple of days: making a Keg still, inspired by "the perfect kegs", "hellkeg" etc.

My interests are roughly : 40% dark/aged rum, 30% light rum for cocktails, 20% liquers (triple sec, limoncello, mirthe, etc), 10% (gin, vodka, whisky, etc)

Ive designed most of the items for the kegs. Did a list in excel with the prieces of all the possible pieces i could use from 3 sources, to get a feel for prices, and try to get the cost as low as possible. I've researched some second hand sites and looking out for the big items now (used 2" pipes, elbows, etc).

in short:
-pot still: reversed keg with drain, 6" ferrule on the top with 6" cap with 2" TC on it for the 2" column.
ports: 2" TC filling port/sight glass for puking on top, 2" sight glass on bottem above heaters, heater ports.
- condenser : 4x 1/2" pipes in 2" shell shotgun condenser about 20" long
thumper (will be added later)
- heating: 4500watt (i got 20amp, 240v max) ripple from Dernord .
i still have some questions about that, but i'll post them in a seperate post.

I'm looking for a friend atm who can tig weld all the ports at a good price,
The keg i have already and i'm in the proces of cleaning it. it's in bad shape though.