G'day from the great white north

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jay29
Novice

G'day from the great white north

Post by Jay29 »

I'm Jay from Canada (Toronto) Lived and toured all over the world as an executive chef. Wine and spirits are crazy important to any chef... I've used them a lot... Almost as much as I've consumed. Lol Now... I want to get into the science (art may be more fitting) of it a bit more without the side effect of blowing myself up. I knew there were dangers involved, but after reading for a few days I have to admit there was a LOT I didn't take into consideration. (For instance: Acetone vapor chemical effect on metal, bonding agents, plastics, etc) What seemed like a simple task of building a still is far from it. I have a lot to learn here. Kudos on the "safety first" attitude I have seen on here repeatedly!!
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: G'day from the great white north

Post by Still Life »

You're right. Safety is militant here.
I know a few chefs, and am amazed how hard THAT skill is.
But keep reading and it'll all fall into place.
Welcome.
Jay29
Novice

Post by Jay29 »

I feel like an apprentice again. Lol Both art forms have a huge underlying amount of biology, physics, chemistry, metallurgy, etc. than what appears on the surface. While distilling is technically cooking, the rules are very different and yet still the same. Although, most of the things I have to prepare on a daily basis aren't going to poison me or blowup. Lol (Although poisoning people in my line of work isn't that tough to do if you lack knowledge/experience as well) I had a handful of solid ideas as to how to construct my still prior to finding this forum... Needless to say I'm clearly not as clever as I thought. Humble pie a la mode for me. Haha
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Jay29..

Welcome to HD from a fellow Canada and Ontarian..

Research, it all here, knowledge from the best.. first is what is your interest in spirit.. then construct the equipment for it..

The best in your new journey..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Jay29
Novice

Post by Jay29 »

Thanks Stiller... Where abouts are you in Ont?
I've been reading most of the afternoon. I think I may start to take notes. My head is getting cloudy. Lol Compared to this forum, I've found some really sketchy and conflicting information online. Everything from using duct tape to seal your kettle to using Jello to make your mash. Ghetto is only cool to a certain point. Lol
Just out of curiosity, have you ever heard of making a spirit out of rhubarb mash? I know it's very low in natural sugar (about 1% natural sugar) but I think a sour rhubarb liqueur would be very tasty. (Sort of like Sour Puss I guess)
ToatyMcSpud
Novice

Post by ToatyMcSpud »

Hiya Jay
Seems to be a number of Canadians here.
Brand new to the boards, and wanted to say hello
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Jay I have pm you on my location.. check in your in the new messages at the top on the left hand side..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
JJbrad29
Novice

Post by JJbrad29 »

Hey folks! Rookie from Ontario! Enjoy!
Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker

Post by Grappa-Gringo »

left coaster out here....welcome welcome welcome......jump on in, the water's warm...
cheers
gg
They say, "you are what you eat"... Then I'm fast, easy and cheap!
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Welcome abort Jay. Fellow ontarion. Just pippin in to day hi.

Edit. Wow thank you auto correct.
Let's try that again.

Welcome aboard Jay. Welkom ontarioite. Just popping in to say hi. Yak

Edit again. Seriously. Fellow. Honestly I haven't even had a drink tonight.
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
speedfreaksteve
Swill Maker

Post by speedfreaksteve »

Welcome Jay! I'm in Toronto as well. I mainly make whiskeys and rum. What are you planning on making?

Feel free to PM me if you want advice on where to acquire the ingredients and equipment. I just run a simple pot still made from a keg. No welding required since I just acquired a head to clamp onto the top.

Cheers!
FranklinNewhart
Novice

Post by FranklinNewhart »

Great to have another Canuck on board. I used to hale from just north of Huntsville but I now live in South Scatch. The land where we grow the barley and malt it too. :moresarcasm:
speedfreaksteve
Swill Maker

Post by speedfreaksteve »

FranklinNewhart wrote:Great to have another Canuck on board. I used to hale from just north of Huntsville but I now live in South Scatch. The land where we grow the barley and malt it too. :moresarcasm:
Pretty cool! I have a place in Sprucedale as well and will be doing a little distilling up there this summer!

I'm sure your grain is fresh out there! :)
apdb
Swill Maker
Location: big ole'island on the West Coast Canada, soon to be underwater when the big one hits

Post by apdb »

Hello from Vancouver Island....
In a past life , I too was a red sealed cook (20years). But I'm all better now. :wave:
Aaron