Chewy goat heads

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dr Yummm
Novice

Chewy goat heads

Post by Dr Yummm »

So there I was, there I was, IN the desert. All alone in a waste land of meta data. A diorama of miscellaneous misinformation. Only to bump into this oasis of misanthrope's. And who is it that i shall ask for admittance? Is it you?

Well thank you none the less. I shall have many stupid questions soon...
Bushman
Admin

Re: Chewy goat heads

Post by Bushman »

Interesting introduction, doesn't tell us a lot about you but Welcome to the forum.
Dr Yummm
Novice

Post by Dr Yummm »

Thanks. Oh me, about me. Well, I am new as as baby to distilling. I mean I've played around with a soxhlet and have some basic organic chemistry under my belt and read a few books. I like to consider myself a hobbyist Distilling seems to have equal parts science and art which is right down my alley. With a bend toward plant medicines. I look forward to learning more about it!
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Welcome to the forum Doc :wave:
And quit using them big words
Had to look up "misanthrope's"
Danged if I ain't one :lol:
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

As is always repeated: read, read, read. The best way to learn: look it up and try to do it.
xyz123
Novice

Post by xyz123 »

Dr Yummm wrote:So there I was, there I was, IN the desert. All alone in a waste land of meta data. A diorama of miscellaneous misinformation. Only to bump into this oasis of misanthrope's. And who is it that i shall ask for admittance? Is it you?

Well thank you none the less. I shall have many stupid questions soon...
Excellent intro!
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Welcome to HD
Dr Yummm wrote:With a bend toward plant medicines
Could you provide a little more insight on this.. would it have anything to do with making herbal tincture..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Definitely chewy. Welcome aboard anyway.
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
Dr Yummm
Novice

Post by Dr Yummm »

Hey, more responses! Thanks for the welcomes folks. I would have responded earlier but your forum threads kinda sucked me right in! Your safety info was a real eye opener. I have a long road ahead of me to be successful at this it appears. Of course I jumped in with both feet and the design i got already is all wrong and cost a fortune by my meager standards.

As per the further elaborations on my interests and experience with plant medicines. My interests run towards the poison Medicines. Ethnobotany is perhaps a good term. Sacred medicinals. Obscure cacti, mushrooms and plants used ritualistically in cultures for mostly visionary purposes. I like making extracts and tinctures though. Fun stuff really. Used to hang out with an herbalist, loved talking shop with the guy so I know a fair bit about other plants as well.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Dr Yummm wrote:As per the further elaborations on my interests and experience with plant medicines. My interests run towards the poison Medicines. Ethnobotany is perhaps a good term. Sacred medicinals. Obscure cacti, mushrooms and plants used ritualistically in cultures for mostly visionary purposes. I like making extracts and tinctures though. Fun stuff really. Used to hang out with an herbalist, loved talking shop with the guy so I know a fair bit about other plants as well.
That is the main reason why I got into this hobby was to make my own spirit for tincture.. just got fedup with dishing out high price alcohol when there is 20 - 30% lose even when using a 2 ton press.. I've played with herbs and making tincture for the last 30 yrs.. took me a few years to find the right recipe to use for the tincture.. have read up on plants used for ritualistically, especially south america cultures,but never ordered the herbs, but mainly Chinese and NA for extracts and tincture.. would be interested in talking further on this to exchange views..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Dr Yummm
Novice

Post by Dr Yummm »

Yeah, totally Mars. I love talking shot. Any particular line of interest plant wise?
Dr Yummm
Novice

Post by Dr Yummm »

Talking shop.. (darned auto correct)