greetings people

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

hillbilly hwy
Novice

greetings people

Post by hillbilly hwy »

hi everyone - I'm really looking forward to what I can see and learn here.

I have limited experience and own a small column unit, but would like to try the traditional type with a thumper, to see how good my product could be, and how different it would taste. I use what I make now as a vodka substitute and its really good. Usually mix it in with margaritas or use it for a chocolate licquer that I make for the boss.

Anyway, this site is great. I'm glad to be onboard here.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: greetings people

Post by Still Life »

You've come to the right place.
There's lots to read, and lots to learn.
Welcome.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Welcome to HD, if you have pictures of your set up you can share in the appropriate thread we would love to see what you are running.
hillbilly hwy
Novice

Post by hillbilly hwy »

I'll see what I can do. I'm laid up with a broken ankle right now, but I might be able to talk the boss into pulling it out and setting it up.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Ouch. Take care of the ankle.
We'll be here.
Take the time to read now while you're laid up.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

PM response.
No problem at all Hillbilly.
Answers to questions is what we specialize in.
Had to post a picture myself so I'd give the correct procedure.

Hit Post Reply as normal
Down below you'll see Upload Attachment
Browse to the photo on your PC (I've not done it from a smartphone)
Photo MUST be no larger than 800x800 pixels.
(If too big, I resize mine through MSPaint as it has a pixel adjustment without losing aspect ratio).

BOOM!
Attachments
Still 1 smaller.jpg
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

To add to Still Life, after you upload, find the attachment and hit "place inline", and it will put that picture wherever your cursor is, and will get rid of that white box that says 'Attachments'. :thumbup:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
hillbilly hwy
Novice

Post by hillbilly hwy »

ok, so here's what I've got. I have to apologize for the picture quality - all I have here to take pictures with is my tablet, which is pretty crappy. Also, because I can't walk around, I'm camped out in my living room, hence all the clutter, etc.

So what I have is a variant of a Bokakob. I used a few things that I had laying around, and this is the result. I'm using a 20 qt stainless stockpot as a boiler, and the guys where I used to work lasered me a stainless cover to fit. The lid that came with the stockpot is really flimsy, so I'm using a 1/8" stainless plate instead. I'm looking for a keg or a stainless milk jug, but right now this is what I have. When I do a run, I use clips to hold the cover in place. It works perfectly. I like that I can take it apart and stash the parts separately for safekeeping.

The rest of it is a 2" column (which I shortened a while back - I'm going to change that soon, if I can). It produces 83 % the way it is. It used to do 93 % before I shortened it, but the column was a little tall and made the unit unstable. The column is soldered onto a 3/8 Cu plate, which is bolted to the stainless cover with a cork gasket, so they don't touch.

At the top of the column, I have a piece of 3" Cu with a double coiled condenser line inside. At the very top, I have a test cap that sleeves on to keep the vapours in. I notice that the Bokakob mini doesn't have this - it has an open top, but I wanted to close mine off. I used 3" tube here because I couldn't fit my coil into a 2" tube. Also, my condenser sleeves into the 2" to 3" adapter, so I can clean it. I haven't had any leakage problems when I run it - I guess its a tight fit.

Sitting on top of the boiler is the deal (I don't know what the proper name is) that I use to get a continuous ABV reading while it's running.

Again, I have to apologize for the condition of my unit. It has been stored in a basement for the past 5 years, and its really dirty and oxidized right now. I'll be cleaning it before I use it.
thumbnail_IMG_20170318_122559.jpg
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_20170318_122628.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_20170318_122641.jpg