Hello from S-Cal

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Migolito
Novice

Hello from S-Cal

Post by Migolito »

Hello,
Some how I got the strange notion, after sipping at a pretty decent bottle of aged Rum, that 'I could do this'. I stand in very good company as I've been told that is exactly how the crazy Kiwi, AKA Sir Edmond Hillary, initially had the notion he could climb. I have it on equal authority that Neil Armstrong learned to fly in much the same way...

My name is Migolito. I live in Southern California, am retired (at a youngish age) and since Everest has been climbed and the moon has been walked upon, thought I'd try and see if I can make something worthy of giving someone an inspirational moment while drinking something I made. I've dabbled years ago in making beer. You know, the kind from a kit. It actually turned out...well, pretty darn good. I'd like to try a little home distilling.
Bushman
Admin

Re: Hello from S-Cal

Post by Bushman »

Welcome, and nice introduction. Take your time and enjoy the the journey it's half the fun!
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Of course you can do this.
And we here at HD make it safe and fun.
Welcome.
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

Welcome,
The rewards from this hobby could get you just as high as climbing Mt. Everest. (pun intended)
Enjoy the adveture!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Welcome Migolito.

With an introduction like that, I expect you'll be heading over to the liar's bench (http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =7&t=40118) to spin a yarn. Good things happen there. :ebiggrin:

Tips for a new hobbiest:
1) Read, read, read. You'll learn so much by reading the questions others ask. There are some great "jumping off" threads in the hotlinks in my signature. Start there if you can.
2) Take your time. Enjoy the journey into the hobby. Don't fret. It's what makes you upset and you worry unnecessarily.
3) ALWAYS think "safety". Don't try to cut corners thinking it's "OK". Cutting corners can lead to unsafe practice, which in this hobby, can be dangerous to you, your home, and your community. Be safe.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Snackson »

If you need anything locally, I'm near SD and willing to help. Got lots of tools and other stuff for the hobby. Welcome.
D-Weasel
Novice

Post by D-Weasel »

Also from SoCal. It's good to see there's others close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk