hello, new to distilling

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

chris0637
Novice

hello, new to distilling

Post by chris0637 »

Hello,

I occasionally make homemade wine (usually apple wine). Product comes out ok, about 14-16% abv, but it tends to be a bit bitter (it's a required taste). I am not big on using meta-k in the must, so maybe 1 in 10 of my batches will fail. One of the reason why I wanted to get into distilling was so I could save failed batches. Another reason is to make cheap 'vodka' that I can use it as a mixer.

I have already done some reading but I joined this forum because I want to make sure I am doing things safely and efficiently.

Chris.
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: hello, new to distilling

Post by Mikey-moo »

Welcome aboard Chris. Glad to have you here.
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
pounsfos
Distiller

Post by pounsfos »

Howdy Chris and welcome to homedistiller

Looks like you already have the basics down which is good.

Next is what type of still you want, if you want a nice neutral, then go for a packed column, if you want some nice apple brandy, go for a pot still (you can use your packed column, just de-pack it)

Plenty of build threads on here, i'm sure you will work it out :)

Good luck
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Welcome, I have made this comment before but we have a winery in our state that takes dated wine or wine they are not happy with the results and got a license to distill and convert to Brandy. We have lots of threads on the subject, enjoy your journey.