New to forum. New to distilling

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Matthewhardy8411
Novice

New to forum. New to distilling

Post by Matthewhardy8411 »

Hey guys in New to distilling. Haven't even done a batch yet. So far ive managed to get 10gal of pure grain mash formenting in my closet. Its 60% corn livestock feed 20% carmel 20 rye (i dont know what that means) and 20% hand crushed malted barley with 48 hr turbo yeast. Hoping this bubblely mash works good for shine.
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Re: New to forum. New to distilling

Post by aircarbonarc »

Sounds like a great grain bill. You should try it without the turbo yeast and try an ale yeast, you'll get a much smoother and all around better product
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Hello Matthew.
Rye is just a grass grown for its grain value.
You haven't described how you mashed, so assuming you did it properly you'll get results.

The turbo yeast tends to stress the yeast and give off-flavors that aren't too appealing
and usually requires activated carbon filtering. Not the best way to treat an all-grain recipe.

I highly recommend some reading for you, and here's a good place to start.
It's our spoon feeding thread: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Welcome to you!
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

All those good grain flavours shot to shit by the turbo yeast :-(

Well. Come on in. You got some learning to do.

Welcome to the forum.
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
Matthewhardy8411
Novice

Hey guys i had my 2nd 5 gal pail on the floor cooling over night because it was to warm to add the yeast to. Now it has activated itself without adding and yeast. Would it be better to let it be or add the much hated turbo yeast?
Matthewhardy8411
Novice

Also i mashed the corn and rye @165f for a good while added barley @153f
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Corn needs to go higher. Next time.boil corn first for an hour. Just a tip for ya
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Matthewhardy8411 wrote:Hey guys i had my 2nd 5 gal pail on the floor cooling over night because it was to warm to add the yeast to. Now it has activated itself without adding and yeast. Would it be better to let it be or add the much hated turbo yeast?
Oooh good question. Wild yeast can be amazing, or awful, or just a bit 'meh', so there's no way to know for sure how it'll turn out.

The choice is yours, you've got to use the Turbo at some point (or sell it), so might as well use it now, set the bar low to start and climb to glory thereafter!
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!