Hello

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

ironman
Novice

Hello

Post by ironman »

Hello,

New to the board. New to the hobby. Running an 8 gallon Mile Hi Dual Purpose as a pot still (electric). Haven't tried reflux. 3" pot top and lid purchase pending. Interested in learning how to make corn liquor, bourbon, rye, and single malt whiskey using grain conversions with homebrew equipment.

My experience is limited to a single run, sweet pellet feed recipe shared by my friend in TN. Have had limited success boiling in musclin homebrew bags, but would prefer to ferment on solids. Have been struggling with the most efficient way to remove the solids after fermentation.

The local homebrew shop in these parts is really good, and have been helpful getting me started, but I have a lot to learn.

Figured I'd check in and say hello.

Temp adjustment takes 4 points off.

Cut, and accelerated age with charred oak wine spirals (in and out of fridge, couple times daily to simulate temp changes)
Bushman
Admin

Re: Hello

Post by Bushman »

Welcome to HD, MileHi has a pretty good reputation. Think you will like your set-up and will enjoy this incredible journey.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

You got a nice start on the hobby.
I dump the spent grain from the 6 gallon buckets into the garden. Seems to make good fertilizer.

Anyway, welcome.
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

Welcome,
Glad to have you aboard. Kudos on your successes. Might have a look at the "Tried and True recipes" on this site....they have stood the test of time and been given the dubious
honor of being put on the list of recipes that produce a fine drink. The links in my signature below are helpful links for new distillers.
Enjoy the ride
Nokum Stiff
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nokum Stiff »

Welcome to the forums!

Off to a good start indeed! I haven't used any sweet feed yet, but I have heard that it does make a pretty good product. As GrassHopper said, the "Tried and True" recipe section is full of recipes that have been designed, tweaked and perfected by many of the veterans here. The Uncle Jesse's Simple Sour Mash method is quite outstanding.
Also, +1 on reading the links in our signatures. Newstillers such as us are fortunate to have such concentrated information in just a few links.

Enjoy and be safe!

---Stiff
**Voluntary reading..MANDATORY, Voluntary reading!**
Cranky's Spoon Feeding For NewStillers!
Cleaning Your Still
Glossary of HD Terms
Safety and Related Issues

quando omni flunkus moritati
ironman
Novice

Post by ironman »

Thanks for the warm welcome. Appreciate it.

The info here really is a great resource. Betcha the old timers would get a real kick out of all this. I doubt I'll have much to offer, but I'm a good study, and know when to keep my mouth shut.

I assume house rules have us avoiding the trappings of politics and religion. That's fine by me. Plenty of other topics to jaw about.

Cheers.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Ironman your right if your within the rules you'll do great. Here is the link not a lot rules but ones that help us keep from flames occurring.
Rules we live by
ironman
Novice

Post by ironman »

Bushman wrote:Ironman your right if your within the rules you'll do great. Here is the link not a lot rules but ones that help us keep from flames occurring.
Rules we live by
Yup. Keep it between the lines. Pretty simple.