Shot down, right out of the gate

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

BamaBill
Novice

Shot down, right out of the gate

Post by BamaBill »

Hello guys from the Gulf Coast. My name is Bill, first time caller, long time listener.
I started off about a year ago with a home built pot still complete with pickle jar thumper and a basic rum recipe. I've moved on up in the world with a beer keg, simple top and another improvised thumper.
I have a rum recipe I fall back on, but I've dabbled with sweet feed, corn and various mixes. Recently I've made some sweet potato mash and it makes a tasty morsel.
So, here I am, a new guy that apparently can't read the rules. My first post shot down because I went straight to the questions and skipped the intro.
So this is me, laughing at my great start and offering my story for your simple amusement.
Bushman
Admin

Re: Shot down, right out of the gate

Post by Bushman »

Welcome, your not the first as it is understandable especially if you have been here a while that you have questions and want answers. Sounds like you are taking everything in stride. Now that you have done your introduction all the threads are open for you to post. Enjoy!
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Yeah, welcome.
Worse intros have been made.
I think I told everyone here they were crazy for giving all this information away for free.
Ha!
BamaBill
Novice

Post by BamaBill »

Thanks guys. I completely understand the intro thing. I've read enough posts on here, I didn't even consider myself new. Lol
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Lol hope that you got rid of that glass thumper.

Welcome

OVZ
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Welcome to the dark side!!!

Please remove the glass thumper, a turkey fryer will do just fine. (Stainless steel)

Shine0n
Oceanwave
Novice

Post by Oceanwave »

Same thing happened to me both in my initial post, and in my initial response to you before my Welcome Center post was approved. I have read so much here and was working on my phone so I only wanted to post my initial questions at the time. Oh well, that is the down side of being eager to learn.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

The fact that you both are posting now opens a whole new world for both of you . :twisted: Weellcoomm to the daarrk side . :wave:
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Oceanwave
Novice

Post by Oceanwave »

Truckinbutch wrote:The fact that you both are posting now opens a whole new world for both of you . :twisted: Weellcoomm to the daarrk side . :wave:
Oh, another dark side to be part of. This should be fun. :wink:
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Oceanwave wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote:The fact that you both are posting now opens a whole new world for both of you . :twisted: Weellcoomm to the daarrk side . :wave:
Oh, another dark side to be part of. This should be fun. :wink:
It is relative to the effort you wish to put into it .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
BamaBill
Novice

Post by BamaBill »

Thanks for the welcome guys.
The glass thumper is history, but it sure was nice to see what was going on in there and at what temps.
I'm running a 15gal SS beer keg and a 2 gal SS kettle pot for a thumper now. After reading about sulfides and benefits of copper in a still, I cut up a length of copper tubing and bound it together and I run it inside my thumper. I probably get more copper surface area than a solid copper thumper this way.
I have a 6gal keg that I was gonna start running as a thumper in the near future.
Any input would be appreciated.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

6g keg will be an better option that the 2g thumper you have now.
rule of thumb is the thumper needs to be 1/3 the size of your boiler or have a overflow return to the boiler.
Don't be a dick
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Loose lips sink ships

So I'm tole
BamaBill
Novice

Post by BamaBill »

goose eye wrote:Loose lips sink ships