New to this

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Oceanwave
Novice

New to this

Post by Oceanwave »

Another newbie here. I have been doing a lot of reading here and elsewhere, and realize there is a lot more reading to go. I am looking to make a small pot still out of mainly materials I already have on hand to see if this is something I want to get into. Looking forward to learning a lot more.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: New to this

Post by Truckinbutch »

:wave: Welcome . Explore a simple keg pot still to start . It will give you continued good service if you decide to stay with the hobby and will be easy to recover your investment from if you choose not to continue .
Smaller stills are harder to run and generate little demand on the resale market . Results from them can also disappoint a novice and turn him away from a rewarding hobby on the getgo .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Oceanwave
Novice

Re: New to this

Post by Oceanwave »

As per my post elsewhere I have a 16 quart stainless stock pot that is extremely solid that I thought would serve as a boiler to start. I have seen some keg still around here being sold, but I figure with what I have lying around and some minimal purchases I could get up and running. Then if I like it, a bigger boiler could be moved to. Since I have not started to build yet, right now I am exploring options. I think a pot still will do what I want at this point as my spirit of choice is rum. Whiskey is my second choice. Who knows I might come to like other things if I experiment enough. At this point my experience is primarily in beer making and a little wine making. I probably have enough old mead in the basement that I could use it for a sacrificial run, although I might want to save it to see how it distills out.